• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a couple of questions for our legal eagles.

1. The MD statute says I can legally possess an SBR if it is properly registered with the Feds. No mention of all the other crap MSP is putting out with the advisory. Am I not in compliance with th statute if I have a Form 4?

2. Once my SBR is under the purview of the NFA with a Form 4, how can MD regulate a Title II firearm?

3. Isn't this some kind of 10A or 14A violation? The NFA is under the purview of the Feds and MD now wants to regulate them?

How is this legal?

Answers please.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    1. The MD statute says I can legally possess an SBR if it is properly registered with the Feds. No mention of all the other crap MSP is putting out with the advisory. Am I not in compliance with th statute if I have a Form 4?
    You've got to be in compliance with all of the statutes. The bit of code you're referring to is basically phrased as "you may only possess if", not "you may always possess if".

2. Once my SBR is under the purview of the NFA with a Form 4, how can MD regulate a Title II forearm?
    Because that's how federal law is written.

3. Isn't this some kind of 10A or 14A violation? The NFA is under the purview of the Feds and MD now wants to regulate them?
    Not if the Feds willingly cede power to the states.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I have a couple of questions for our legal eagles.

2. Once my SBR is under the purview of the NFA with a Form 4, how can MD regulate a Title II firearm?

How is this legal?

Answers please.

It isn't legal: "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It isn't legal: "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

You know that, and I know that. The people they had in mind when this was written don't want to believe that. Scalia's opinion in Heller didn't help:

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.

This passage is often quoted by pro-gun control politicians as justification for what they are doing. It is still going to be a long battle. Let's pray none of the Conservative justices are replaced until there is a Conservative in the White House.

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    A bit off topic but....can I build a pre FSA2013 80% lower into a pistol? 10.5" barrel and pistol buffer tube.
    The lower was finished in Aug. no numbers, never been a rifle. Starting to purchase parts. Am I done, or can this build continue?
    Thanks

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    You know that, and I know that. The people they had in mind when this was written don't want to believe that. Scalia's opinion in Heller didn't help:

This passage is often quoted by pro-gun control politicians as justification for what they are doing. It is still going to be a long battle. Let's pray none of the Conservative justices are replaced until there is a Conservative in the White House.

His opinion is in direct conflict with the second amendment.

But let's take his longstanding prohibition stance for instance. If that was in fact a part of the second amendment then NO gun laws would be in place at all. Because remember that there was a longstanding lack of provisions before 1934 - about 150 years.

Almost anything they make up has history as well as the 'Supreme Law Of The Land' that does not support their opinions. It really is that simple.

ETA - they have a remedy if they don't want to follow the Constitution and that is a constitutional convention. But they know that would never pass so they just keep trying to go about it piecemeal in direct contradiction to the Constitution. Prohibition is a prime example of doing it the right way whether you agreed with it or not.

The biggest flaw that our Founding Fathers had was that they thought that most everyone would continue to be people of integrity - especially government officials. Boy were they wrong about that.:mad54:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A bit off topic but....can I build a pre FSA2013 80% lower into a pistol? 10.5" barrel and pistol buffer tube.
    The lower was finished in Aug. no numbers, never been a rifle. Starting to purchase parts. Am I done, or can this build continue?
    Thanks

Carry on....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So how will it be determined what items are affected by this Advisory? Is there an effective date? ie, Form 4's prior to issuance are not affected?

Seems a stretch to ban things before the actual date of the advisory. MSP signed off on my Form 4 in September. Now it's not valid? Hope MSP clarifies some of this..

Geez.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    So how will it be determined what items are affected by this Advisory? Is there an effective date? ie, Form 4's prior to issuance are not affected?

Seems a stretch to ban things before the actual date of the advisory. MSP signed off on my Form 4 in September. Now it's not valid? Hope MSP clarifies some of this..

Geez.

They are retroactively enforcing the PBJs so draw your own conclusion.

And then they will come out and trumpet how great the new law worked at keeping guns out of the hands of criminals while nothing good happens to actual crime rates.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Geez.

Here's my thinking. A pre 10/1 Form 4 is like a purchase order. With a PO, if you ordered an M1A from Springfield in August, and it comes in now or a few months down the road, you can still take possession of it. I could be dead wrong, but that's how I am treating it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'll take your view. Hope MSP does too.

The sticky part is MSP signed off on 9-15. Obviously I won't have the Form 4 back for a while. Which date is most likely to be correct?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'll take your view. Hope MSP does too.

Me too. :o

I think it's going to be tough to prosecute someone who went through the process of getting a tax stamp to legally make their rifle. Only one of my rifles be under 29", when all is said and done. That will be a 9mm AR.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You used a Form 1. I did mine on a Form 4. How is the FFL gonna transfer my SBR since it's not on the roster? It does pass the OAL provision.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You used a Form 1. I did mine on a Form 4. How is the FFL gonna transfer my SBR since it's not on the roster? It does pass the OAL provision.

Oh. That may be a problem. If it is a huge issue, he can take it off the NFA registry, transfer it to you as a pre-10/1 purchase order (just the complete lower), give you the upper separately, and then you can do a Form 1. I guess that would be the only alternative. Form 1 should be treated as a PO. Hopefully.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Oh. That may be a problem. If it is a huge issue, he can take it off the NFA registry, transfer it to you as a pre-10/1 purchase order (just the complete lower), give you the upper separately, and then you can do a Form 1. I guess that would be the only alternative. Form 1 should be treated as a PO. Hopefully.

Yeah, and another year + wait again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom