• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Best chance for late season is to follow the food. Even big bucks must eat. If you have a good food source, stake it out and wait for a stretch of really cold days and hunt it hard. He has to eat to stay alive.

Vic

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Figure out his feeding area and bedding area, Get close to the bedding area early, play the wind correctly. One day he will be late to bed. :D

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    "Shhhhhh. Be vewy, vewy quiet!"

elmerfuddhuntin.jpg

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Hes nocturnal just like all the other bucks. Unless you bump him from his bed hes gonna stay hunkered down except for a few hours throughout the night.

This time of year especially if there is snow on the ground you gotta get where the food is.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    we note that all pics are on the same day(?). If he continues to appear, he likes the area.
    Start laying down the corn from there to where ever......if he likes it he will be back..
    You have a few weeks left to Bow hunt....other wise just keep feeding..and get new pics.

No Pics? he was probably just passing by.........

R

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    figure out where he is coming from before he gets to the camera. if he is out feeding all night, it would be easier to catch him going back to his bedding area in the morning. any pinch points in the trees between the field and any holly stands or mountain laurel thickets,thick pine areas,sticker brier patches.

have you gotten any more pics of him? his anlers will be gon in a week or two. that deer has good genes and could stand to be let go 2 more years anyway. i guess him at 2 years old. he would be quit impressive at 3.5-4 years old

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    figure out where he is coming from before he gets to the camera. if he is out feeding all night, it would be easier to catch him going back to his bedding area in the morning. any pinch points in the trees between the field and any holly stands or mountain laurel thickets,thick pine areas,sticker brier patches.

have you gotten any more pics of him? his anlers will be gon in a week or two. that deer has good genes and could stand to be let go 2 more years anyway. i guess him at 2 years old. he would be quit impressive at 3.5-4 years old

:thumbsup: yeah he's a youngen for sure...Daddy is around somewheres:innocent0

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    The idea of letting him grow another year is great, but if this is on public hunting land not everyone else thinks that way. A buck like that will cause the fever and he will be hanging on someone elses wall by next year. The only way the deer mgt. plan works is if you have a thousand+/- acres of private land to manage them on. IMO.

With 3 weeks left, I like the idea of the feeder and keeping it stocked and set to go off during daylight hours(maybe 7AM). You might be able to get him conditioned in the next couple of weeks if you start now.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    The idea of letting him grow another year is great, but if this is on public hunting land not everyone else thinks that way. A buck like that will cause the fever and he will be hanging on someone elses wall by next year. The only way the deer mgt. plan works is if you have a thousand+/- acres of private land to manage them on. IMO.

With 3 weeks left, I like the idea of the feeder and keeping it stocked and set to go off during daylight hours(maybe 7AM). You might be able to get him conditioned in the next couple of weeks if you start now.

if he aint been killed yet he most likley wont be this year. they dont get any dumber with age. im not gonna get into the whole "if i dont kill him somone else will mentality" thing. ive seen where that goes so just shoot it if it makes you happy and use the antlers for rattlers or somthing.

hitman1415

Nov 26, 2012
    He is not mature yet, he will prolly blow up in antler size next year given he has good feeding and nutrient rich diet this coming year. He made it this long, very good possibility of him making it to next year. Pattern him all summer into early bow and get him between then and the rut. That's what I would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom