• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Hi there, active duty stationed in MD.
    I've been interested in buying an M1A for some time and that time is coming up however looking into the MD gun laws it looks like I'm in for some disappointment.

Am I truly SOL regarding this particular weapon, regardless of variant or are there any exceptions for those that are from out of state but stationed in MD?
    Would it be out of the question to purchase an M1A out of state and also store it out of state? If I were to go this route would it be illegal to pass through Maryland from one state (Virginia) to another (Pennsylvania)?

If I am screwed here are there any other semi-auto .308s that are legal here that I might also like?

Apologies if this thread is misplaced.

Welcome to the forum brother.

You are all forgetting that whatever base he is stationed at isn't legally Maryland. The base will fall within the Maryland borders but is U.S. Government Property. As long as he is stationed there and the gun stays in the armory or in base housing it's perfectly legal. As for the rifle I would purchase it next time you're at an out of state gun show or home on leave.
    ^^^^This.
    Military bases adhere to the laws of the states that surround them. The gun store in the Exchange at Fort Meade will not sell weapons not legal in Marylandistan. He cannot import a post Oct 2013 (post FSA) into Maryland legally, and therefor the base would not allow it.

IF your legal state of residence is Tejas...you can purchase any M1A you like...you cannot bring it into or keep it in Marylandistan.

You can buy a Polytech in MD using a copy of your orders.

you can purchase an AR-10 aka M110 in MD and have your .308 military rifle.

I personally think an SBR M1A sounds stupid...but thats just me.

Those are your options...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Makes absolutely no sense that we can own a SCAR 17S and not an M1A.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Do NOT try to apply logic to MD firearms laws.

And remember, the start of the "list" was the in the late 80s, then it was Federal law under Clinton.

The list was created by a bunch of 20-something staffers looking through Gun Digest and picking the "scary looking" rifles.

The HBAR exemption was to "show" the public that they were not against "legitimate" uses of firearms, such as target shooting and hunting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't expect or look for logic, there is none.

Md laws are what they are, and just take them as they are written.

( Of course lobby your Delates and Senators, participate in thr various State and Natl 2A groups, and give to the MSI Legal Fund, generously, frequently, and today .)

Elaos

Jan 16, 2017
    I see you found the place... welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

Yep! Appreciate the tip

Pony up and get the SCAR. I know I'm trying to as soon as funds clear up :D

While it's crossed my mind, having never shot it and the initial price tag...not too keen on that right now. Plus then I have to be patient. I'd rather hold off on that for now.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=169567

Gain some knowledge. The AR is the better rifle. If you have a small dick and want .30 cal buy an AR-10.

It's not about "the better rifle", thanks though. I'm not looking for a home defense weapon, I'm looking for something I enjoy shooting and wouldn't mind tinkering with. However Maryland has really shot that down unless I want to go out of my way and keep it out of state...
    So I'm not averse to an AR-10 or even AR-15, it's just not what I've been hoping to buy.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone. I feel like I'll never fully grasp the laws here.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I don't own a M1A because I consider it a superior weapon. It's a very fine, sturdy weapon that packs a lethal punch. Ya can't mow down a 8" sapling with a M16, unless ya have all night.

I own one because I trained with the M14 in Ranger school in 1963 and because I wanted to own one of every weapon I ever trained with or carried in ROTC and thru 21 years of Army active duty.

Started collecting them rather late, age 62 in 2002, and have numerous Garands, M1 Carbines, 1911s and a S&W pistol .38 that duplicates what I toted while flying Beavers out of Nha Trang in '66-67. We always carried a M1 Carbine on a rear seat, too, and never had to use it.

Never had to use any weapon in self defense, fortunately, but was prepared to do so and still am.

Lew--Ranger63

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    However Maryland has really shot that down unless I want to go out of my way and keep it out of state...

Unfortunately, you can't even do that, thanks to our stupid ban. In order to buy a gun out of state, it has to be from an FFL, and in order to buy a gun from an FFL outside your state of residence, the purchase must be legal both in the state where it takes place and in the state of residence of the purchaser. IOW, you can't just go buy a banned rifle out of state and not bring it here.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Unfortunately, you can't even do that, thanks to our stupid ban. In order to buy a gun out of state, it has to be from an FFL, and in order to buy a gun from an FFL outside your state of residence, the purchase must be legal both in the state where it takes place and in the state of residence of the purchaser. IOW, you can't just go buy a banned rifle out of state and not bring it here.
    Howdy,

Not trying to speak for the OP, but I just ETSed and bought about 10 firearms while on active duty, so I have some familiarity with the subject. Most active duty military don't change residence every time they PCS. In fact, quite a few leave it as their home of record unless they PCS somewhere with advantageous laws or benefits. I'm assuming the OP did that, so assuming he visits his state of residence on occasion, he can buy whatever is legal there. Actually a friend of mine just did exactly that. Purchased an M1A in his state of residence and left it there with family.

Now if you do want to purchase firearms where you are stationed, it is simply a matter of bringing your out of state license, military ID, and a copy of your orders stationing you at X military installation within the borders of said state.

So the OP absolutely can do that assuming he is not a Maryland resident, but then would have to get rid of all the evil banned guns if he chose to permanently move to MD (assuming they were purchased post Oct 1, 2013).

Cheers,

Eric

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Oh yeah, I forgot the fact that he wasn't only a resident of Maryland.

OP, if the M1A is legal in your actual state of residence then yes, you could buy one and just not bring it here.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

He is active duty military. So he has TWO states of residence. His home state and MD.

If the M1A is legal in his home state, he can buy it outside MD, in a state where the M1A is also legal.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    He is active duty military. So he has TWO states of residence. His home state and MD.

If the M1A is legal in his home state, he can buy it outside MD, in a state where the M1A is also legal.

Did you read the rest of the posts in the thread?

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom