• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    I usually don't go there on a Saturday, but the weather was nice and went early. I got to the pistol side and was beginning to unload my gear and was pleased. Only one couple had just started shooting. They were reading the instruction book and the guy walks up to me with a Ruger LC9 pointed at my feet. He said he just got the firearm yesterday (new box, glasses, etc) and didn't know how to load the magazine. He had a FTE and didn't know at to do and tried to hand it to me. No checking, breach closed. No thanks. I asked him if he cleaned and lubed the firearm since it's new and he said no. He did not have any cleaning supplies or tools. He is not going to borrow mine. I also noticed his target stand was fresh cut wood and below the minimum of 48 inches. I said, "whoops I forgot my keys to my 9mm" and promptly left and went to the rifle side. I came back an hour later and they were gone. I am still alive and safe. :innocent0

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    although they should have obtained lessons of some sort I think the offer of a little assistance would have been nice.

first time shooters that have a bad experience will think guns are unsafe.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Wow, you sure dodged danger there.:rolleyes:

A few minutes of conversation and the guy would have been set straight most likely.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I usually don't go there on a Saturday, but the weather was nice and went early. I got to the pistol side and was beginning to unload my gear and was pleased. Only one couple had just started shooting. They were reading the instruction book and the guy walks up to me with a Ruger LC9 pointed at my feet. He said he just got the firearm yesterday (new box, glasses, etc) and didn't know how to load the magazine. He had a FTE and didn't know at to do and tried to hand it to me. No checking, breach closed. No thanks. I asked him if he cleaned and lubed the firearm since it's new and he said no. He did not have any cleaning supplies or tools. He is not going to borrow mine. I also noticed his target stand was fresh cut wood and below the minimum of 48 inches. I said, "whoops I forgot my keys to my 9mm" and promptly left and went to the rifle side. I came back an hour later and they were gone. I am still alive and safe. :innocent0

That's the spirit! Screw them, who needs new gun owners anyway. That could have been a good opportunity to take 5 minutes and help a new person out and get them started on the right track, safely.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac

Wow! What a guy. You should write a book on how to make friends.

Doesn't seem to me the new guy was being a jerk. A little lesson could have gone a long way.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe he should have came to you without firearm in hand, but I personally would have, and have spent a couple minutes with a new shooter...especially one having an issue on the range.
    A little insight and knowledge shared could have went a long way.

You blew an chance in my book.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Mike, I understand your unwillingness to shoot next to unsafe shooters. I do think you overreacted a bit. No it is not your job to teach a new shooter that you have never met. I do think a few minutes of instruction on basic range safety would have been a nice thing. I also feel that it would have been nice to give a new shooter a quick lesson on his handgun. No, you do not have to be nice, but it goes a long way towards promoting the good image of shooters.

Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    Mike, I understand your unwillingness to shoot next to unsafe shooters. I do think you overreacted a bit. No it is not your job to teach a new shooter that you have never met. I do think a few minutes of instruction on basic range safety would have been a nice thing. I also feel that it would have been nice to give a new shooter a quick lesson on his handgun. No, you do not have to be nice, but it goes a long way towards promoting the good image of shooters.
    My post was perhaps a little strong and may have left the impression that I was a jerk, however, that was not the case. I was friendly and polite the entire time and he was not a jerk either. I feel you cannot go to any range with just mdgunsafety.com info and start shooting and I can't teach enough in five minutes. My own safety was my first concern.

Dec 31, 2012
    IMO, experienced shooters have an obligation to teach new shooters the basics of safe firearms handling. Negligent discharges are a public relations problem for all firearm owners. You don't have to fix his gun and probably shouldn't if it has a real issue but a few helpful words in the right direction were in order.
    Pointing at your feet is better handling then I've seen in some of my range trips.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I usually spend a large portion of my range days helping people. I bring extra earplugs, glasses, and my tools to assist people who have problems.

I wouldn't have handled it like that at all.

O.P. maybe when you find yourself I'll prepared or in a bad spot the favor will be returned in kind.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I usually spend a large portion of my range days helping people. I bring extra earplugs, glasses, and my tools to assist people who have problems.

I wouldn't have handled it like that at all.

O.P. maybe when you find yourself I'll prepared or in a bad spot the favor will be returned in kind.

This. Perfect opportunity to spread knowledge.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I gladly share my knowledge with new folks. When I was new to this, others shared their knowledge with me.

Whether you meant to sound like a jerk or not, the original post stunk of snobbery. We are trying to bring more people to the hobby, not turn them away.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I think there are more unsafe gun owners in Maryland than ever before and I'm afraid there are going to be several negligent mishaps. I can't tell you how many people I saw in gun shops handling a gun with absolutely no clue of anything about it. Unfortunately, this whole SB281 training requirement may cause more harm than it prevents.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I think we all need to be aware there are many new gun owners in Maryland. Although the shooter was in error, the situation could have been turned into a teaching moment.

Now more than ever we need to be willing to teach more new shooters how to safely handle firearms.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    "My post was perhaps a little strong and may have left the impression that I was a jerk" Thats the way it reads. Maybe next time you can help a new shooter out by pointing out some of the rookie mistakes they made and not run off.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I would have handled it a bit differently.

I'd explain the issues to him and attempt to help them become better gun owners.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    5 minutes to impart some knowledge and help someone out doesn't seem like a bad idea. Consider, you might be shooting next to him again next time.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    OP, I won't call you out but I will ask a question and please read it carefully, "How do I not know if I don't know that I don't know it?" I understand you were concerned for your safety but it sounds like this guy didn't have a clue and it is up to more experienced shooters to help and educate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom