• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    I'm glad that dude is going to be okay. I have fallen two times since I've hunted stands. Both times while climbing up iced over screw in steps and trunks. -Luckily no serious injuries. I also want to get I a harness system that can be used during the climb. I will check out the ones mentioned here. -Hoping it doesnt break the bank, cause i'm also looking to pick up that 34$ portable from Dicks to set up a 2nd stand.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm glad that dude is going to be okay. I have fallen two times since I've hunted stands. Both times while climbing up iced over screw in steps and trunks. -Luckily no serious injuries. I also want to get I a harness system that can be used during the climb. I will check out the ones mentioned here. -Hoping it doesnt break the bank, cause i'm also looking to pick up that 34$ portable from Dicks to set up a 2nd stand.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe..._30_Treestand_Lifeline&aID=503H7&merchID=4006

$40 more or less.. cant beat it.. :)

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    Guess that would work out okay by clipping it directly onto my current waist strap for the ride up. I have a 3 piece (belt strap, Tether, Tree strap). Once I'm up I can strap the to the tree and unclip. I normally climb with my waist strap secured and the other 2 pieces (tree strap and tether) tucked into a pocket so i dont have to fiddle through my stuff to pull out a belt.

I'll need to get serveral of these for each stand, Or maybe I can get some extra climbing rope and use the same tether and carribeaner at different stands?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I came home with a brand new ladder stand last night. It's a Comfort Zone Lookout 15 footer and I paid $49.98 for it with the in-store rebate, excellent stand and I like the new upgrades on this one compared to my older model one.

This one has a larger platform with a larger seat and the bars from the seat to the downturn of the ladder bar is angled instead of bent at a 90 degree, much easier on the knee bones. They now come with the square tube sleeves that fit over the joints where the sections come together offering better support for the joints so the ladder doesn't give at all. I also like the new center support brace, it's now slide adjustable and longer than the older models which were too short and had the push in click holes every 6 inches. I always install the brace in the middle of the second section anyway.

2 thumbs up on this stand and the new upgrades they have done since I bought my last one about 5 years ago. This is my third ladder stand and I am seriously thinking about going back to get another one.

• 15' height to seat platform
    • 18"x12" steel mesh foot platform
    • Slanted design of hand rail allows more knee room while sitting
    • 18"x12" Real Tree AP camouflage seat cushion
    • Non-glare black sand finish
    • Adjustable ladder stabilizing brace provides additional support
    • Three, 5' ladder sections

do you know if they make extensions for this model? i have the same one..

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Guess that would work out okay by clipping it directly onto my current waist strap for the ride up. I have a 3 piece (belt strap, Tether, Tree strap). Once I'm up I can strap the to the tree and unclip. I normally climb with my waist strap secured and the other 2 pieces (tree strap and tether) tucked into a pocket so i dont have to fiddle through my stuff to pull out a belt.

I'll need to get serveral of these for each stand, Or maybe I can get some extra climbing rope and use the same tether and carribeaner at different stands?

u can make your own.. just make sure you use the proper ropes/setup.. according to your weight etc. for each stand you have.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    My tree stand has a small rope that connects the top and bottom to each other. That rope stopped the bottom half from falling all the way to the ground. The safety harness keep me from falling to the ground. The seat of the pants harness comes with a 6 ft long nylon strap called a rescue strap. You are supposed to keep it in a shirt pocket for easy access in the event of a fall. When needed you tie one end of this strap to your harness side ring, hang it so that it is looped at your nees and tie the other end to the other side ring on the harness, then step on the loop. This will take the weight off the leg straps and help keep circulation going. It will also alow you some slack so you can work on getting back on the stand. I will look for the video of how it all works and try to post it here when I get home tonight. Unless someone else has time to look for it on summits website or youtube. Mdeng

somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    for those that are more expereinced, how do you get down if you fall and one of the harness systems? i have one of the strap types, step into to wrap aeound thighs and over shoulders to tie into tree. if i fall there is going to be 230 pounds of me keeping the strap locked to the tree. how do i get free and how long can i hang there?
    thnx

tim410

Sep 10, 2009
    Towson
    for those that are more expereinced, how do you get down if you fall and one of the harness systems? i have one of the strap types, step into to wrap aeound thighs and over shoulders to tie into tree. if i fall there is going to be 230 pounds of me keeping the strap locked to the tree. how do i get free and how long can i hang there?
    thnx

I was kinda wondering that myself

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    the tether should be a eye level when standing, if you fall and it isnt a complete mechanical failure of your stand you should be able to get back onto the platform of your stand

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    thnx

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    thnx

You cut the rope and fall to the ground. This way you purposefully break your ass instead of accidentally.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    mdeng,

this one?

I use the Fast Back from the video. I am looking for the video that shows how to use the harness and lanyard. It came with the harness and also shows what to do in the event of a fall. Can't find it online, I'll have to dig out the DVD and see if I can upload it to post here.

For anyone asking what you do if you fall and find your self hanging in a tree. Well as already stated, if your stand is still accessable and you had everything set up right you should be able to climb back onto the stand. If the stand failed and you can't use it, then the rescue strap that comes with some harnesses will allow you to releave the preasure of the harness from your legs until someone comes looking for you. It's a good reason to let someone know exactly where you are hunting. I always carry my GPS and cell phone when hunting. When I pick out my spot I mark it on the GPS and text the location to the wife. If I do not call her by a certian time to let her know I am out of the woods or have havested a deer. She knows to send out help to look for me. It has never come to that, but it never hurts to be prepared. My wife knows to call a few friends that also hunt the same property I do if she doesn't hear from me. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Oh and for anyone who did not hear about this. There was another tree stand fall accident this week. A guy fell and broke his leg on Tuesday. According to one of the Firefigters that helped carry him out he was using a home made "wooden stand" It was rotten and broke when he stepped onto the platform. If you make your own stands or use one made by someone else you take your chances. Check it out and inspect any stand before you use it. Be safe. Mdeng

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Is that the one you can repel down to the ground if you do fall and catch yourself? I saw something advertised on one of the Versus hunting shows and thought that was a pretty slick contraption.

At least with that you're not stuck there dangling from the tree flapping in the wind yelling, I'm up and I can't get down !

Not sure. The linemans climbing strap is more used for hanging off of the tree with your feet on pegs or a climbing stick so you have free hands to hang a lock on stand. I guess if you had climbing spikes you could, but it says nothing in the instructions about what you said.

-Z

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Not sure. The linemans climbing strap is more used for hanging off of the tree with your feet on pegs or a climbing stick so you have free hands to hang a lock on stand. I guess if you had climbing spikes you could, but it says nothing in the instructions about what you said.

-Z

Ok. The one I was talking about actually allows you to self-repel down to the ground via a block/tackle setup should you fall, it'll catch you. I'm not sure what climbers call the system technically, some kind of carabiner system. I'll see if I can dig it up on the net...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I FOUND IT !
    (Finally...)

The Rescue One

The ONLY Full Body Harness System

that stops your fall and then allows you to safely lower yourself
    to the ground should you fall from your treestand standard
    harness systems may cause suspension trauma death.

* Easy-to-use system allows safe controlled descent to ground up to 30 feet
    * Super strong, lightweight Harness System with Legs, Waist and Chest Straps
    * Low profile, metal dual lock safety buckles on leg straps,
    * Flat buckles for waist and chest straps
    * Comfortable, breathable nylon webbing/straps
    * Easily installs on any tree
    * Special shock absorbing system lessens shock should a fall occur
    * Retains user in upright position after fall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another cool video with it, but, it takes a few minutes to get
    to the point, but, the video is excellent example of how it works.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    i strategically place tree steps around the stand where I (hopefully) will not contact them if I fall but can use them support myself if it should happen. Remember tree steps are steel rods sticking out of the tree so if you contact one at high speed you're probably going to get one hell of a puncture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom