• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KB3UET

Dec 24, 2010
    Sharpsburg, Md
    I have always been a fan of the pump action for home defense just for the sound. But I have a side-by-side sr220 shorty that will work perfect I believe. Just find one you like and that you can take out play with too.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    How much are you looking to spend? You can't go wrong with a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Used pump by Mossberg, Remington, Winchester, Browning, or Ithaca.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I bought a Mossberg 500 for a friend and his wife for Xmas. I was concerned about rising home invasion crimes in Northern Laurel (they live in Southern Columbia). Maybe not an appropriate Xmas Gift, but I feel better now. Mark at 2A Sales got me this gun at the same price I would have paid Impact Guns online to ship it (2A Sales. Awesome place to deal with!:party29:).

http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813541251.html

Can't go wrong with a pump shotgun. Simple, reliable, deadly at home defense ranges; and racking the slide is a sound every male in America would recognize from the age of 8. :) I was concerned about my friend's wife being unwilling to actually use the gun, so I got the meanest looking pump I could find for intimidation factor (Added a heat shield for effect, and done). This gun fits the bill for about $360 out-the-door.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    mossberg maverick 88 for $200. 20" 8 shot
    maverick 88.jpg

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    I agree with the Mossberg Maverick...but i would spend the extra few bucks for the 500 for the better safety location on the tang for one...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    How much are you looking to spend? You can't go wrong with a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.

yep i agree...they are both affordable and reliable...plus if someone breaks in your house and hear the shotgun action being activated its universal sound for you are about to get f*cked up...

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I agree with the Mossberg Maverick

But its not tacticool......:)

Seriously, if cost is a major consideration, I have to agree with smokey and tsainu1; can't go wrong with a 500 Maverick. I would only say there is the question of maneuverability. That extra 1.5" of barrel doesn't seem like it would make a difference; but its very noticeable when you handle the guns. IMHO Still, $200 and you've got all the weapon you'll likely need for home defense.

if someone breaks in your house and hear the shotgun action being activated its universal sound for you are about to get f*cked up

+1

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I keep hearing about intimdation, the racking of the slide and accessories.

None of this stuff is important when you have to defend your family. Reliability, dependability and a gun that works the way it should are the only factors that should matter.

I don't have a collapsible stock, pistol grip or heat shield. If someone is in my house, a shell is already racked in the chamber and ready to go.

You are defending your home and your family. You are not showing off for the intruder.

The best shotgun for home defense is the closest one to you.
    The best shotgun for home defense is the one you know how to use proficiently.
    The best shotgun for home defense is the the one you will never have to use.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Touche'

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I keep hearing about intimdation, the racking of the slide and accessories.

None of this stuff is important when you have to defend your family. Reliability, dependability and a gun that works the way it should are the only factors that should matter.

I don't have a collapsible stock, pistol grip or heat shield. If someone is in my house, a shell is already racked in the chamber and ready to go.

You are defending your home and your family. You are not showing off for the intruder.

The best shotgun for home defense is the closest one to you.
    The best shotgun for home defense is the one you know how to use proficiently.
    The best shotgun for home defense is the the one you will never have to use.

:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom