• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a AR-15 lower that was an 80% that I completed awhile back. The paint job on it is not so great and I want to have it hard coat anodized. Are there any places in MD that do anodizing?

Thanks

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Its not that hard if you are a DIY kind of person. Takes a small power supply and some sulfuric acid (battery acid from auto store.) Probably want to wait until its a little warmer as you want to do it outside. Caswell plating sells kits. I've done it w/ my dad on some aluminum bits and it turned out nice. Just make sure the parts are thoroughly cleaned/degreased. Basically follow the directions. You'll want to lightly bead blast it if you want the typical matte finish.

Last edited:

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a AR-15 lower that was an 80% that I completed awhile back. The paint job on it is not so great and I want to have it hard coat anodized. Are there any places in MD that do anodizing?

Thanks
    Did you personally milled your 80% lower or did you have someone else do it? If you did it yourself would you consider doing it again for $? If you had it done professionally do you mind passing along their info?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Did you personally milled your 80% lower or did you have someone else do it? If you did it yourself would you consider doing it again for $? If you had it done professionally do you mind passing along their info?

Paying someone to mill an 80% lower makes them a firearms manufacturer. And if they do with without the appropriate FFL, they are in violation of Federal law.

And if they DO have the appropriate FFL, then need to transfer it to you as a regulated firearm. You gave them a paperweight and they made it into a firearm.

And BATF has made the interpretation that if you have a CNC mill setup to mill an 80% lower, letting someone else use that CNC program makes you a manufacturer.

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    Paying someone to mill an 80% lower makes them a firearms manufacturer. And if they do with without the appropriate FFL, they are in violation of Federal law.

And if they DO have the appropriate FFL, then need to transfer it to you as a regulated firearm. You gave them a paperweight and they made it into a firearm.

And BATF has made the interpretation that if you have a CNC mill setup to mill an 80% lower, letting someone else use that CNC program makes you a manufacturer.
    Thanks for the FYI.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country

sting-large1.jpg

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I tried to search with no luck, maybe you are better at it?
    There are old threads where a member built an AR from scratch, small pieces of AL (held together with screws) and sent it out to have it Hard Coated.
    I believe the Home Anodizing kits are not what is called HARD?

Good luck!

kingshawaiian

Sep 25, 2016
    Check out Tuckahoe Gunworks and Hydrographics, LLC. Doesn't advertise that they do it but I'm sure he could. Did a great job on mine.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Word of caution. Traditional lead-acid battery acid is sulfuric acid, H2SO4, whereas hydrochloric acid is HCl. I don't know what acid you need to anodize, but these two acids are not the same, and it may matter to the process.

jesemd

Nov 17, 2012
    I had an old Penn fishing reel spool and handle re-anodized at a local commercial anodizing shop here in PA. I just walked in and dropped it off and they threw it in the tank with their next run of hard coat. I gave them money for beer and everyone was happy.

The only thing I would be concerned with is the possibility of "transferring a firearm" to the shop without paperwork or them having an FFL. Perhaps if you watched and waited it wouldn't count as a transfer? I'm not a lawyer, just guessing and if I lived in MD I would get that in writing before I tried it.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    A couple of companies who offered anodizing that I spoke to, they were not in Maryland, would not do 80% lowers.

They said it was because there was no serial number to log them into their book.

I don't know if it is a legitimate concern, but it made sense to me. I will be experimenting with Cerakote I guess.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I think there was a company in VA I can't remember the name of it though, they had FFL and would do lowers for consumers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom