• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Wen I bought my 930 tactical I did research before hand. I knew going in that many claim they need around 200 or so rounds through them before the action breaks in. Mine was slightly used and runs perfectly. Others do not. But from what I have heard they all eventually run fine.

mtb

May 24, 2011
    I'll take that sucky 930 off your hands. Make me an offer I can't refuse and I won't

You will have to fix it. The feed ramp gets stuck in the up position every time it is fired with 3" slugs, then it tries to push the next round out under the ramp. Supposedly a common problem for them.

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    He's in the Open Class. His daughter's 930 is stock, she's the top lady 3-Gun shooter in the world. Either one could get any shotgun they wanted, they picked the Mossberg.

There are two Mossberg guns actually named Miculek that Mossberg sells. There are several videos of him shooting them that Mossberg has put out.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/sh...nature-high-performance/jm-pro-tactical-class

Yeah, I am pretty sure that he is getting paid to shoot them. Mossberg does this so people like you will think that its product is awesome because Miculek shoots it. Kind of like Trek sponsoring Lance Armstrong. Thing is, I know Trek bikes are junk and I ride Colnagos instead. Thing is, Lance would get a new Trek whenever he sneezed. Pretty sure Miculek not only gets his pockets lined to shoot a Mossberg, but that he could get a free Mossberg from Mossberg whenever needed. Benelli probably didn't feel the need to pay Miculek as much as Mossberg was willing to.

Pretty sure he has all those company names on his shirt just so he can feel cool. SARCASM

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    He's in the Open Class. His daughter's 930 is stock, she's the top lady 3-Gun shooter in the world. Either one could get any shotgun they wanted, they picked the Mossberg.

He's sponsored my Mossberg. They PAY him to shoot their stuff. Now, they were smart cookies and asked him to improve the 930 and so they made the JM Pro signature version.

Look at the 3-gun pro competitions. The 930 is not well represented (but sure a few do use it.) In all honesty, you can get ANY of the modern competition shotties to run well. Its not like mossberg doesn't know how to make a good shotgun. No one really makes a total dog anymore. Just some may take more work than others for specific tasks.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    He's sponsored my Mossberg. They PAY him to shoot their stuff. Now, they were smart cookies and asked him to improve the 930 and so they made the JM Pro signature version.

Look at the 3-gun pro competitions. The 930 is not well represented (but sure a few do use it.) In all honesty, you can get ANY of the modern competition shotties to run well. Its not like mossberg doesn't know how to make a good shotgun. No one really makes a total dog anymore. Just some may take more work than others for specific tasks.

Yes, they're both sponsored by Mossberg. But do you think he'd have said yes to the deal if they were really crap? This guy makes a living shooting, he's not going to risk his rep for a few bucks and a shotgun.

mtb

May 24, 2011
    I'm assuming there's work involved to get it to work properly.

Yes, though I'm not sure what's involved. I'm going to send the part that's jamming (trigger assembly/feed ramp) back to Mossberg when I get around to it. Supposedly it should be under warranty. I did a bit of searching on google and it seems to be pretty common on a lot of their semiauto shotguns.

My particular one is the 930 SPX Blackwater.

It ran fine for maybe 100-150 rounds, then started jamming on 3" slugs. It jams every time now. I can get away with 2.75" slugs for a few shots usually before it jams. I have to say it's my least favorite firearm in my collection. There's only one other in my collection that comes anywhere close to this one for how much I dislike it (CZ97 BD that has been nothing but problems from the day I bought it, and has been back to CZ for warranty work without it actually being fixed).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yes, they're both sponsored by Mossberg. But do you think he'd have said yes to the deal if they were really crap? This guy makes a living shooting, he's not going to risk his rep for a few bucks and a shotgun.

lol - pretty sure if they paid him enough, he would say yes even if it was a POS. Greg Lemond was sponsored by Huffy. They made a special bike for him (i.e., another manufacturer's frame with Huffy stickers all over it).

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-07-28/sports/sp-18464_1_laurent-fignon/2

If Benelli offers him $10,000 and Mossberg offers him $100,000, I think he would live with any problems or change the gun to suit him.

Pro cyclists ride whatever their team is sponsored with, and that might change from year to year while they are under contract. Pretty sure that is how it goes in the shooting world too, and most other sports for that matter.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Pro cyclists ride whatever their team is sponsored with, and that might change from year to year while they are under contract. Pretty sure that is how it goes in the shooting world too, and most other sports for that matter.

Guessing based on information from a completely unrelated sport? :lol: That's not how it works in the shooting sports. A little more research and less conjecture next time, counsel.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Guessing based on information from a completely unrelated sport? :lol: That's not how it works in the shooting sports. A little more research and less conjecture next time, counsel.

Alright, I am always willing to learn something new from somebody with more knowledge than me. So, enlighten me. Exactly how does sponsorship work in the shooting sports?

http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/03/27/so-you-want-to-be-a-sponsored-shooter-part-1/

Seems pretty much like cycling. I was involved with a travel team on the east coast and we were given some money for our travel expenses but it did not cover all travel expenses, we were given some parts, we were given some clothing. Only difference is that it doesn't look like "pro" shooters make anywhere close to what pro cyclists make.

Is Miculek on the S&W employee sponsorship program? Do you have any idea what his compensation/sponsorship agreement is with Mossberg?

How about Tom Knapp, may he rest in peace. Rumor has it that he was paid pretty well to be a sponsor/spokesperson of Benelli.

I know, Miculek is promoting S&W, Mossberg, and all those other names on his shirt out of the goodness of his heart because he really, really, really loves their products.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Forgot to point some things out about this. I believe it's Tom Knapp, and Benelli fired him when he got sick. Classy.

Man, I missed this post. Sorry about that.

Yes, the sponsorship agreement between Tom Knapp and Benelli was terminated when he got sick. Most employers will not continue to pay an employee when they are not working unless they have sick leave. Get into an auto accident tomorrow and how long do you think your employer will continue to cut a paycheck to you if you are not showing up to work, unless of course you have some accrued sick leave.

The thing you are missing here is that Tom Knapp was PAID to promote Benelli products, as I believe Miculek is paid to promote S&W and Mossberg.

So, my point is still valid. Miculek gets paid, in one way or another, to shoot a Mossberg and to promote it.

Paid sponsors promoting products are effective marketing on some people. Guessing tons of people buy a Chevy because Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, and Dale Jr. drive them.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    lol - pretty sure if they paid him enough, he would say yes even if it was a POS. Greg Lemond was sponsored by Huffy. They made a special bike for him (i.e., another manufacturer's frame with Huffy stickers all over it).

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-07-28/sports/sp-18464_1_laurent-fignon/2

If Benelli offers him $10,000 and Mossberg offers him $100,000, I think he would live with any problems or change the gun to suit him.

I remember that and wanted to post it, but the details have long left my tiny brain.

ETA: Yea, who is Jerry Miculek's gunsmith is the bigger question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom