Does a 223/5.56 NATO lever rifle make any sense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    This one?
    H014-longrange-featured.jpg

M.S.R.P. $1014.95 on the Henry site.

Henry-Long-ranger--630x339.png

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/shoot-1000-yards-with-a-henry-long-ranger/

I think this is more purty than the Browning. The pistol grip on the Browning does nothing for me.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yes and no. Without the scope, I prefer the classic lines of the Henry. With the scope, the classic Winchester 1892/1894 receiver/stock look is ruined. The rifle looks ungainly. However on the Browning (as with some Marlins) the scope complements and balances out the design.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Stoic58

Jan 10, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Browning also has a straight-gripped BLR, the '81, which is close to the original BLR configuration from the early '80s. And they have a limited edition takedown in .223 and .308 with rails and a flash hider! That one looks odd, but not as strange as the tactical .30-30 that Mossberg makes.

Attachments

• BLR_Lightweight_81.jpg
      BLR_Lightweight_81.jpg
      12 KB · Views: 250
    • BLR_Black_Label_Takedown.jpg
      BLR_Black_Label_Takedown.jpg
      15.4 KB · Views: 270

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    I have owned lever action guns

I have hunted with lever action guns

I like the look of lever action guns

I like the historical significance of lever action guns

But "IMHO" they are like black powder guns - not the best to use to get the job done but pretty cool to use and yes they do work

but lever action in .223/5.56 Why ????

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Browning also has a straight-gripped BLR, the '81, which is close to the original BLR configuration from the early '80s. And they have a limited edition takedown in .223 and .308 with rails and a flash hider! That one looks odd, but not as strange as the tactical .30-30 that Mossberg makes.

Quad rails and a flash hider?

Stop the madness.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Quad rails and a flash hider?

Stop the madness.

When you put it like that it sounds oh, so wrong. Not my thing, but it doesn't look completely awful in the photo.

attachment.php

But for my money this looks a lot nicer.

attachment.php

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    They are stunning firearms. Love the contrast.

I have guns that are twenty five years old, shot regularly, and still look new.

If I bought one of the those maple stocked rifles, it will fall off the bench and land on concrete the first time I took it to the range.

I'm itching to get the Browning T-bolt in 22Mag (so not too far off the OP bullet size) with this limited release maple for stocks. 10-rd mag and under 5 lbs. With a scope it won't be much more that 6 lbs, and might be a fun varmint gun.

As I understand it, they were warehouse cleaning and found this limited wood supply from 30 or more years back so decided to use it.

(Something like 5.5 lbs with the scope)

3f45c2a75684e350d28ccac23248da3a.jpg

73941af7fca07705d33ec143872a79d8.jpg

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thank you! :) The maple wood stock and Browning bluing are an aesthetically pleasing combination. Was lucky to get a glossy Leupold scope at a nice price to add to it. Wish I had time to sight it in this weekend!

I'll bet! I'd be chafing at the bit to sight it in too. And yeah, that gloss is the ticket atop this rifle.

Let us know how it shoots!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Five point what ?!? with the scope? Dang sir, that is a feather weight. It might actually be less than my 10/22 with scope on it.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Well I'm not sure..

.. this is not gonna impress anybody (don't care either). I have a very early Browning BLR-81 in 257 Roberts. Low mount Redfield 3X9 Widefield scope. I 've used it for deer & groundhogs (different handloads). I used in all sorts of weather & temps without fail. It still looks wonderfull.

I also have a 1954 Remington 760 5 Diamond Pump Rifle in 257 Roberts. Both have the Redfield 3X9 Widefield Scopes shoot about 1 1/4 MIA @ 100 yards.

I realize I went off topic some but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.:cool::cool:

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'll bet! I'd be chafing at the bit to sight it in too. And yeah, that gloss is the ticket atop this rifle.

Let us know how it shoots!
    Planning to do a range report! My first rifle in 22 Mag. Thought it might work well with this T-bolt platform. Hard to believe it's the Browning stock trigger as it has an incredible light and crisp break.
    Five point what ?!? with the scope? Dang sir, that is a feather weight. It might actually be less than my 10/22 with scope on it.
    Maybe a slight exaggeration, but it feels like it.

Rifle is listed at 4lbs 14oz (benefit of maple)
    Scope is 11.2oz
    Scope rings - I don't know
    Sling - to be added. Waiting for a leather one from Browning.

With what it has now, I'd be surprised if it's more than 5lbs 11oz.

.. this is not gonna impress anybody (don't care either). I have a very early Browning BLR-81 in 257 Roberts. Low mount Redfield 3X9 Widefield scope. I 've used it for deer & groundhogs (different handloads). I used in all sorts of weather & temps without fail. It still looks wonderfull.

I also have a 1954 Remington 760 5 Diamond Pump Rifle in 257 Roberts. Both have the Redfield 3X9 Widefield Scopes shoot about 1 1/4 MIA @ 100 yards.

I realize I went off topic some but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.:cool::cool:

The Browning sounds like a beauty. I have a Belgian made BLR in 308 (1971 manufacture date?). Around 1 moa (or better) but quite a kick, lol. Tis the season for levers with wood and blued steel. Love shooting them in fall.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    But "IMHO" they are like black powder guns - not the best to use to get the job done but pretty cool to use and yes they do work

but lever action in .223/5.56 Why ????

Because he can and that's reason enough.

Beautiful rifle by the way. I would get it in 270 or 358 Win but I already have two guns chambered in 223/556

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom