Form 1 SBR "disapproved" because AW are Illegal in MD??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noroar1

Jul 20, 2013
    Received Form 1 approved email just now.
    AR SBR 29.5 OAL

Submitted 12/1, almost 3 months. Signed by Ted.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I have a question now that the ATF is approving >29" OAL length SBRs. If I have a Pre 10/1/13 lower. If I SBR the lower with 29" OAL and get the approval from the NFA. According to a recent discussion with Andrew at NFA section I can temporarily put any length upper on the lower (shorter or longer) and still be compliant with the Federal law as long as I keep the parts for the original length. If I change the length permanently I would need to just send a letter notifying them of the change. As the lower is pre 10/1/13 would it not be grandfathered and be legal under MD state law?

Last edited:

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I have a question now that the ATF is approving >29" OAL length SBRs. I have a Pre 10/1/13 virgin lower. If I SBR the lower with 29" OAL and get the approval from the NFA. According to a recent discussion with Andrew at NFA section I can temporarily put any length upper on the lower (shorter or longer) and still be compliant with the Federal law as long as I keep the parts for the original length. If I change the length permanently I would need to just send a letter notifying them of the change. As the lower is pre 10/1/13 would it not be grandfathered and be legal under MD state law?

No. He's correct on federal law, however since it's not a complete firearm, and thus not considered a grandfathered "assault long gun" or "copycat weapon", then finishing it with those characteristics after Oct. 1st 2013 would be illegal under MD law (not federal), as it's currently viewed by MSP Licensing Division.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    No. He's correct on federal law, however since it's not a complete firearm, and thus not considered a grandfathered "assault long gun" or "copycat weapon", then finishing it with those characteristics after Oct. 1st 2013 would be illegal under MD law (not federal), as it's currently viewed by MSP Licensing Division.

I don't follow your logic. I can take my pre 10/13 lower and finish it with post 10/13 banned features and still be legal. MD consider the lower the firearm regardless of its finished state. Why would this be different if its an SBR?

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    I don't follow your logic. I can take my pre 10/13 lower and finish it with post 10/13 banned features and still be legal. MD consider the lower the firearm regardless of its finished state. Why would this be different if its an SBR?

Actually, there isn't much in MD law concerning receivers/frames, but yes they are considered a firearm, however as an "other" under federal law, not a rifle, shotgun, handgun, etc.

It would need to have been configured (i.e. built) as an "assault long gun" or "copycat weapon" before Oct. 1st 2013 to be considered grandfathered.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Actually, there isn't much in MD law concerning receivers/frames, but yes they are considered a firearm, however as an "other" under federal law, not a rifle, shotgun, handgun, etc.

It would need to have been configured (i.e. built) as an "assault long gun" or "copycat weapon" before Oct. 1st 2013 to be considered grandfathered.

Does it say that in the law the firearm has to be built prior to 10/13? I don't recall seeing that in the statue? Can you cite the section?

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Article - Criminal Law

§4–303(b)(3) A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, may:

(i) possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon; or

You did NOT possess an "assault long gun or a copycat weapon" before Oct. 1st. It was just a receiver, which you can still purchase to this day. Sorry man.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Article - Criminal Law

§4–303(b)(3) A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, may:

(i) possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon; or

You did NOT possess an "assault long gun or copycat weapon" before Oct. 1st. It was just a receiver, which you can still purchase to this day. Sorry man.

I still don't see how the law distinguishes a lower from "assault long gun" or copycat and a receiver. If I can build this pre 10/13 lower as a copycat and/or assault long gun and be legal why then does it change for a SBR?

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Got a first "disapproved" tonight for my 3rd SBR

was for an AK SBR 14.5" barrel so definitely over 29" OAL. meh

Just read the comment at the very end of my PDF. Thought it was going to be the lame excuse of being an copycat etc.

Instead I got this:
    DESCRIPTION OF FIREARM INCOMPLETE, NAME AND LOCATION OF ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER OF FIREARM (RECEIVER), IF
    PROTOTYPE, FURNISH PLANS AND SPECIFICATIONS ON SEPARATE SHEET ATTACHMENT, REFUND IN PROCESS...TEC

So even though i wrote "FORM 1 Registration" like I have done for my last 2 home built AR SBRs, seems this time it's not good enough.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    I still don't see how the law distinguishes a lower from "assault long gun" or copycat and a receiver. If I can build this pre 10/13 lower as a copycat and/or assault long gun and be legal why then does it change for a SBR?

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't know how else to put it. Your receiver had yet to be a specifically listed/defined "assault long gun" or "copycat weapon" and is therefore not grandfathered.

Follow along, I personally finished all of my pre Oct. 1st registered AR-15 receivers TEMPORARILY into a "assault long gun" or "copycat weapon" configuration before Oct. 1st. Therefore, since they were at one point an ALG or CCW, then they are now permanently grandfathered as such.

I know this is stupid, but remember this is a public forum.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    Mine was disapproved yesterday for the wrong name in 3b. Do you guys know how long it should be for a turnaround if I resubmit and reference my disapproval?

How should I go about referencing my disapproval?

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I don't mean to be rude, but I don't know how else to put it. Your receiver had yet to be a specifically listed/defined "assault long gun" or "copycat weapon" and is therefore not grandfathered.

Follow along, I personally finished all of my pre Oct. 1st registered AR-15 receivers TEMPORARILY into a "assault long gun" or "copycat weapon" before Oct. 1st. Therefore, since they were at one point an ALG or CCW, then they are not permanently grandfathered as such.

Not trying to obstinate or rude either. How does MD know you finished your pre 10/13 lowers in to CCW or ALG prior to 10/13? Did you register them as ALG or CCW prior to 10/13? Are you saying that because you finished your lowers prior to 10/13 they are Grandfather and you can SBR them with OAL <29"?

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Got a first "disapproved" tonight for my 3rd SBR

was for an AK SBR 14.5" barrel so definitely over 29" OAL. meh

Just read the comment at the very end of my PDF. Thought it was going to be the lame excuse of being an copycat etc.

Instead I got this:

So even though i wrote "FORM 1 Registration" like I have done for my last 2 home built AR SBRs, seems this time it's not good enough.

This happened to me on a paper submission a couple years ago. However, I was lucky enough that the examiner called me and requested "plans" for the home made firearm. I sent her all sided pictures of the unfinished AK receiver. It was approved shortly after that submission. Keep trying.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Not trying to obstinate or rude either. How does MD know you finished your pre 10/13 lowers in to CCW or ALG prior to 10/13? Did you register them as ALG or CCW prior to 10/13? Are you saying that because you finished your lowers prior to 10/13 they are Grandfather and you can SBR them with OAL <29"?

They don't, no re-registration, but no < 29 inches in OAL.

Currently SBR's still must follow the "copycat weapon" restrictions, but under MD law they're considered handguns not ALG's in one subsection, but defined under common language as rifles in the "copycat weapon" definition subsection.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    This happened to me on a paper submission a couple years ago. However, I was lucky enough that the examiner called me and requested "plans" for the home made firearm. I sent her all sided pictures of the unfinished AK receiver. It was approved shortly after that submission. Keep trying.

I dont think I will be as lucky. I remember when they first were accidentally denying eforms, they would say "Oops, our fault, but you still have to resubmit." I think there was a few rare cases were a few MDS members were lucky and an examiner would fix minor mistakes/sends schematics right away. I guess I'll try giving him a call and see what I can do.

If I have to resubmit, then I am just going to use the funds towards a different project.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    They don't, and somewhat.

Currently SBR's still must follow the "copycat weapon" restrictions, but under MD law they're considered handguns not ALG's in one subsection, but defined under common language as rifles in the "copycat weapon" definition subsection.

Which takes me back to my original question. If you have a pre 10/13 CCW or ALG and SBR it now at 29". Can you not still comply with both Federal and MD law if you temporarily put a shorter upper on the lower making it less than 29 OAL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom