• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    My default has been to attach a sling on an AR-15 the same way that I do a wood stocked rifle, one attachment on the rifle forend and one on the rear stock.

However, I see that people use rear attachment points at the junction of the upper receiver and buffer tube and a front attachment site as close to the junction of the upper and the handguard.

Moreover, many seem to have slings that transition from two attachment points to a single point attachment.

How do you do it, and why? Pics would be useful. :) Other than MagPul sling options that can transition to single point, are there other AR-15 slings that you like? Hoping to get a range of opinions from those that might hunt with an AR platform rifle to those that might use one in an advanced class or have done so in service.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Bend at the knees not at the back and when you rotate do so with a wide arc to get full extension!

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Whatever way works for YOU.

Try different ways and pick the one that works.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Whatever way works for YOU.

Try different ways and pick the one that works.
    Seriously, dude? Why would I bother to post a thread on it if not seeking perspective and opinions of those with some experience, esp folks that I know, trust, and like here?

When I see what others suggest, I'll test different uses/methods to see what works for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I don't have this yet but I am interested in the Quick Detach base plate that goes under the castle nut.

I currently have the sling loop at the castle nut, but the grinding of metal-to-metal between the loop and the latch attached to my sling gets on my nerves.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I generally run AR rifles with a 2 point sling and pistols with a single point sling. The rifles will be attached either on the stock and forend (near the back of the handguard) or the castle nut and the same location on the handguard. AR's are generally 'worn' on the front of the body, as opposed to conventional rifles, which are generally worn over the shoulder or across the back. The added length and weight of a rifle as opposed to a pistol is my reason for running a single vs a 2 point sling setup.

Tactical Link has a nice single to 2 point sling attachment. It's basically the sling adjuster with a QD attachment point, so you can swap a two point sling to a single point and back again very quickly. Two point is better for shooting, imo, but single point makes it easier for me to carry the weapon close to the chest and maintain free mobility.

I really prefer to shoot a rifle with a two point sling, just because it's how I learned with a conventional rifle, but a pistol AR, I can shoot fine with a single point sling, due to it's shorter barrel length and oal..

The above is just my humble opinion... ;)

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    What are you using the sling for? What's your rifle setup? My 20in full stock AR runs a standard GI web sling because I use it as a shooting aid. I'm usually fully slinging up or using it as a hasty sling. I never use it to carry the rifle funny enough.
    My Carbine doesn't have a sling but I've been looking at a few different options. Again I'm not carrying this thing around on patrol so I'm interested in something that works as a shooting aid and could double as a carry sling.
    If you're looking for a way to carry the rifle your needs might differ.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    personal preference

Seriously, dude? Why would I bother to post a thread on it if not seeking perspective and opinions of those with some experience, esp folks that I know, trust, and like here?

When I see what others suggest, I'll test different uses/methods to see what works for me.

i think the point he is making is there is no "right" way or right sling. ive tried everything from 550 cord to one point bungee style. the sling type and set up should be more dictated by the need and use than the type of rifle. for hiking and stomping through the brush, traditional is comfortable and works. For cqb you may want to change the sling and points of attachment. for vehicle use, you may want to switch again. ive gone back to army issue two point but front is near castle nut. the below pic is how my team banded them to keep them out of the way when not needed but a simple tug on the sling puts it in use. (ignore the nontactical color of rubber bands, gonna replace with black when i get some more). we kept foldable stock ak's for use in a vehicle but if we had to unass a vehicle, we didnt want the slings on our m4s tangling up on all the snag hazards inside a vehicle. for civilian use it has been great for the safe and for range so it stays out of the way but is always there if needed. it is really based on personal preference and the use though. just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Attachments

• 20160916_202459.jpg
      20160916_202459.jpg
      108.8 KB · Views: 613

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    2 point sling is what I have on all of my rifles, including the ARs. If I have to hike a distance, this is what is most comfortable for me. A few of the rifles have the 'quick adjust length feature'. My view is a sling is for carrying and stabilizing the rifle for long distance shots. I'm no 'operator'. More often than not, I'll have a climbing tree stand and a back pack to carry as well.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    That's what I was looking for, opinion and perspectives. Number of awesome posts. I tend to do the below, for the lame reason that I thought all my rifles should have slings, but then realizing the AR offers so much more flexibility, and people likely maximize utility in different ways.

ffeb257873982fc9b93f0e8c5be3716a.jpg

My possible uses are using the sling to stabilize around my support arm when firing the rifle standing (all of my ARs), taking a future carbine class with one of my 5.56 ARs, and taking the larger caliber ARs (7.62x39 or 300 BLK) to the field for hunting.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    find a 3 gun match near you and see what everyone is running. thurmont is doing them, that should be close to you (look thru competitive shooting forum). of course this would cover "tactical" applications, not necessarily hunting, precision shooting or otherwise.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Rifles should all have slings.. all of mine do. It offers a convenient way to carry them and a stable way to shoot them if you know how to use them. AR's are a little different though, thus the variants and preferences from many.. ;)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    find a 3 gun match near you and see what everyone is running. thurmont is doing them, that should be close to you (look thru competitive shooting forum). of course this would cover "tactical" applications, not necessarily hunting, precision shooting or otherwise.
    I'm guessing you're one of two people I know from IDPA in Thurmont.
    Rifles should all have slings.. all of mine do. It offers a convenient way to carry them and a stable way to shoot them if you know how to use them. AR's are a little different though, thus the variants and preferences from many.. ;)
    You are a wise man, Sticky. Good advice in the PM, too. I literally got my first rifle, a 22LR, only a few years back, so still on the learning curve.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    I run the setup you described with one attachment on a QD end plate and another close to the mag well on the hand guard. I use the HSP D3 sling, which is single point to two point.
    Why? Initially it was because that's what Travis does. He knows his stuff, and the way he describes its use made sense to me. Now that I've run that system for a few classes, I found it works well for me.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I've taken classes with Center Mass Combat Tactics here in MD, plus Paul Howe, Kyle Defoor, and Mike Pannone. Even these elite guys have slightly differing opinions on slings. All favor adjustable two point slings like the VCAS or VTAC. I like the VCAS, but I do have a VTAC on one gun. They're both excellent. I used to have a Magpul MS 3 but found the adjuster very stiff. The MS 4 might be better. Also look at the Haley sling and the Proctor sling.

Personally, I like to mount on QDs at the rear of the stock (I use Magpul CTR stocks), but on the side opposite your cheek, and then on a QD mount on the forend just in front if the receiver. On my AR Pistol I use a QD end plate since there us no stock to attach it to.

Here are some vids that might help:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AGNUxv9m9nI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGh-tZtKKA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YhojNCdksYw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6vTK0H_bfR8

Then there's the Sheriff of Baghdad sling. Gotta love John McPhee!:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DnZzX4Pr91M

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Because you said you have seen different ways. So try those ways.

DUH.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    I prefer two point(with an option to go one point) with the forward attaching on the rail just forward of the receiver and the rear attaching at the buffer plate or the bottom of the butt itself(depending on what I am wearing). I'm right handed so I run the sling over my left shoulder, around my back and under my right arm so the sling crosses my back diagonally. This allows me to throw the rifle over my shoulder (onto my back) in the event I have to go over a wall or fence etc. Once I've cleared the obstruction, I just grab the gun with my right hand and rotate it back around the front, completing the circle, so to speak. It works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom