• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I finished building my first AR. I have a standard bushmaster currently. I took it out Saturday for a test-fire / sight-in. Pulled the trigger BOOOOOOM. It scared the snot out of me, and I think, WHY WAS THAT SO LOUD?!?! I put the safety on and checked it out, nothing obviously wrong, I peer down the scope and can see the hole in the target... Bring it up again BOOOOOOM. It is so loud my teeth hurt. I stand there and try to figure what could be different about this gun than my old bushmaster. Then it hits me, muzzle brake... Are they really THAT much louder? I left the range thinking that was probably the issue, but MAN that is probably 3 times the noise I'm used to.

I'm not all complaints...it DID manage recoil extremely well!

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpg
      IMG_0913.jpg
      106.6 KB · Views: 2,515

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My AMD-65 has a similar effect on me. Way, way more blast than I prefer. Once my stamp comes back on it, I'm going to swap the huge brake for something a little tamer. More recoil is no big deal.

Also, very nice AR build. Smart use of a fixed stock, too - never understood people trying to run scopes with carbine stocks.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I finished building my first AR. I have a standard bushmaster currently. I took it out Saturday for a test-fire / sight-in. Pulled the trigger BOOOOOOM. It scared the snot out of me, and I think, WHY WAS THAT SO LOUD?!?! I put the safety on and checked it out, nothing obviously wrong, I peer down the scope and can see the hole in the target... Bring it up again BOOOOOOM. It is so loud my teeth hurt. I stand there and try to figure what could be different about this gun than my old bushmaster. Then it hits me, muzzle brake... Are they really THAT much louder? I left the range thinking that was probably the issue, but MAN that is probably 3 times the noise I'm used to.

Yes they are that much louder. The increased loudness is pretty much a byproduct of the design of a muzzle break/compensator if it is to reduce recoil effectively.

Also there really isn't a point in having a muzzle break on a .223/5.56 AR.

Not to mention yet another way that SB281 is a bad piece of legislation. Flash hiders are bad, but muzzle breaks are not. Therefore once it goes into effect you should see an uptick on guns equipped with them to comply with the law (most of which don't see much benefit from them).

Which means many more louder guns on the range which is a great thing. :tdown: :mad54:

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Yes they are that much louder. The increased loudness is pretty much a byproduct of the design of a muzzle break/compensator if it is to reduce recoil effectively.

Also there really isn't a point in having a muzzle break on a .223/5.56 AR.

Not to mention yet another way that SB281 is a bad piece of legislation. Flash hiders are bad, but muzzle breaks are not. Therefore once it goes into effect you should see an uptick on guns equipped with them to comply with the law (most of which don't see much benefit from them).

Which means many more louder guns on the range which is a great thing. :tdown: :mad54:

You certainly don't NEED a brake on 5.56 AR, but it does help.

This thing was so loud, I felt bad shooting it at the (indoor) range. As soon as I was sighted in I left. I'm probably going to throw an old flash hider I have laying around on for now.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    You certainly don't NEED a brake on 5.56 AR, but it does help.

This thing was so loud, I felt bad shooting it at the (indoor) range. As soon as I was sighted in I left. I'm probably going to throw an old flash hider I have laying around on for now.

If the recoil without the break annoyed you so much, you could always add more weight to the rifle to mitigate the felt recoil.

Considering the benefit of recoil reduction vs the increase in noise (which tends to range from 5-10 decibels louder (every 3 decibels results in twice the felt/experienced loudness) it really isn't worth it except on the the really big stuff (like a .50bmg, .338 Lapua, ect.)

Also using heaver bullets increases the felt recoil, so you may want to consider trying lower weight bullets (and or rounds not loaded as hot (lower velocity)) than what you tend to shoot now.

And indoor ranges make all kinds of shooting (pertaining to loudness) much worse.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They are not actually overall louder, but the sound is now directed such that is sounds louder to you.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    My surefire breaks arent loud when I am shooting. Standing off to the side is another story but its still not that bad. Suck it up buttercup :D

I like the rifle OP!

If the recoil without the break annoyed you so much, you could always add more weight to the rifle to mitigate the felt recoil.

Considering the benefit of recoil reduction vs the increase in noise (which tends to range from 5-10 decibels louder (every 3 decibels results in twice the felt/experienced loudness) it really isn't worth it except on the the really big stuff (like a .50bmg, .338 Lapua, ect.)

Also using heaver bullets increases the felt recoil, so you may want to consider trying lower weight bullets (and or rounds not loaded as hot (lower velocity)) than what you tend to shoot now.

And indoor ranges make all kinds of shooting (pertaining to loudness) much worse.

Breaks are totally worth it :party29: In my opinion adding weight is a dumb idea, unless its a bench gun. I want my rifle as light weight and flat shooting as possible.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Nice looking build.

If your AR-15 is already considered regulated why not just replace the muzzle break with a flash eliminator. I hear that the Smith VORTEX is one of the best.

p_851000047_1.jpg

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Oh yeah, competition brakes are even worse. I have a JP Rifles comp; if you don't double up on hearing protection, your ears will be ringing after a few shots.

JPTRE-Largeframe.jpg

The one on my Beowulf is even worse.

1242240983327-1577295154.jpg

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Oh yeah, competition brakes are even worse. I have a JP Rifles comp; if you don't double up on hearing protection, your ears will be ringing after a few shots.

JPTRE-Largeframe.jpg

The one on my Beowulf is even worse.

1242240983327-1577295154.jpg

I have a JP on my rifle, looks like that first picture. ;)

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    They are not actually overall louder, but the sound is now directed such that is sounds louder to you.

Read this:

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/summary.html

Resource links at the bottom:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...d-suppressors-demonstrated-in-surefire-video/

My surefire breaks arent loud when I am shooting. Standing off to the side is another story but its still not that bad. Suck it up buttercup :D

I like the rifle OP!

Breaks are totally worth it :party29: In my opinion adding weight is a dumb idea, unless its a bench gun. I want my rifle as light weight and flat shooting as possible.

If you don't care about your hearing, that is one thing. But the moment it affects mine, I'll take issue with your actions.

And if you can't handle the recoil of a .223/5.56 AR15 then you need to hit the gym and build up some muscle mass.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Read this:

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/summary.html

Resource links at the bottom:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...d-suppressors-demonstrated-in-surefire-video/

If you don't care about your hearing, that is one thing. But the moment it affects mine, I'll take issue with your actions.

And if you can't handle the recoil of a .223/5.56 AR15 then you need to hit the gym and build up some muscle mass.

I double up my hearing protection and have had break equipped rifles on either side of me for days at a time in classes. They really are not that bad to be around. Its your job to protect your hearing not mine, double up! . . . Or buy me a can :lol2:

As far as working out goes, I am an ex college gymnast and stay in shape. Am I in the shape I was when I was competing. . . no, but I dont have time to work out 3+ hours a day 6+ days a week like I used to. ;) Mostly its my flexibility that has suffered because I hate that crap and I don’t have the peer pressure from a team forcing me to work it every day like I did in school. I hit the gym plenty.

A break is just another tool in the tool box.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I think the point is to have respect for those around you. If you are using something that makes it uncomfortable for those around you who are already wearing adequate hearing protection, then perhaps you need to change what you are doing.

It is for this reason that I'm going to be replacing this brake with something else.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I double up my hearing protection and have had break equipped rifles on either side of me for days at a time in classes. They really are not that bad to be around. Its your job to protect your hearing not mine, double up! . . . Or buy me a can :lol2:

As far as working out goes, I am an ex college gymnast and stay in shape. Am I in the shape I was when I was competing. . . no, but I dont have time to work out 3+ hours a day 6+ days a week like I used to. ;) Mostly its my flexibility that has suffered because I hate that crap and I don’t have the peer pressure from a team forcing me to work it every day like I did in school. I hit the gym plenty.

A break is just another tool in the tool box.

What makes you think I don't already double up with the highest rated plugs and muff's I can get my hands on.

Firearms are already loud enough as it is, why would you want to make them any louder.

I think the point is to have respect for those around you. If you are using something that makes it uncomfortable for those around you who are already wearing adequate hearing protection, then perhaps you need to change what you are doing.

It is for this reason that I'm going to be replacing this brake with something else.

This is the attitude to take.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Nice looking build.

If your AR-15 is already considered regulated why not just replace the muzzle break with a flash eliminator. I hear that the Smith VORTEX is one of the best.

I think that because "flash hiders" are considered evil, bad and nasty enough to be banned, folks are looking for other alternatives.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS

Linear comps shouldn't be an "evil" feature, and are quieter to the ear of the shooter and neighboring shooters:

Kaw Valley Precision Linear Comp

Just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom