• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA
    I would imagine that someone agressivley trying to incapacitate you, or limit your ability to respond to an attack in any manner (be it response with lethal force, or simply running away) by using a less than lethal or non-lethal means, such as OC spray, could be viewed as a precursor to a physical attack that could very well be potentially lethal or cause serious injury, which might warrant the use of lethal force by the victim.

Good answer. That is/was my point. You need to be able to articulate why you believed that you'd be incapacitated by OC. That's why actually being sprayed can be beneficial.

I hope that if I were walking down the street, and someone came at me unprovoked, holding up a can of OC and telling me to give him my wallet, that would be the treated by law enforcement the same as if he came at me with a taser, or a knife, or a baseball bat, or a gun.

Just for edification, taser is also less than lethal.

At least, that's the way I see it. I have no idea if the law would see it the same way.

If you can articulate it, then you're probably okay.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Like most defense tools OC can be incredibly effective. My Wife and Daughter would probably spray and run. OC will slow down most anyone. Also OC will probably give you enough of an edge to make effective use of anything else available to end the threat. Nothing is 100% every time but every tool used effectively is another edge in your advantage.

They have to get the spray in the eyes though, just spraying someone won't have the desired effect.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    I was first certified as an OC instructor in 1993 and the last time was 2001. I do not recall any mandatory trips to the ER due to distance. We always used common sense and regardless of the distance if the person was having respiratory distress or taking an unusually long time to recover then you would request EMS.

I have a PHD in getting sprayed by over spray or mis spray by officers who relied on OC like many do the Taser now.

As far as the snide remarks in reference to use of the pen, most are uneducated. I can choke someone out in about 2 seconds with a cheap plastic pen. Heck, I can even do so after being sprayed in the face with OC.

Try walking into any place that has security with OC, and then do the same with a pen. Your primary mechanical force option has to be something you can carry all the time.

- George

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom