• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stonet21

Mar 4, 2009
    Get the cans designed to be lifted by the truck, with the hinged lid and wheels. They're so much easier than regular cans if you have to move the can a lot distance and the trash guy doesn't get mad if you put 100lbs of crap inside. My trash company provided them for free, 96 gallon capacity, both recycling and trash, so i can really load them up.

We're not supposed to have hinged lids in Baltimore county.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    What's up with that? Do Baltimore County trash haulers load the refuse manually into the trucks, hence a "bagging requirement"?

Pretty amazing I can fill all 96 gallons of trash can with loose beer cans up here in Harford and Baltimore County residents have to bag everything. Our trash up here in Harford is being transferred to Baltimore County

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Other than the OP admitting he had no lids, where is the photographic evidence there were no lids? Imagine getting a red light camera ticket with no photo of your car.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Other than the OP admitting he had no lids, where is the photographic evidence there were no lids? Imagine getting a red light camera ticket with no photo of your car.

It's usually uploaded electronically by an accessor. From my experience they carry around iPads

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Only problem with that is he would open himself to another fine. Baltimore county says that it doesn't want cans over 34 gallons for trash or over 32 for recycling and they cant weigh over something like 30 or 40 pounds. Have never seen it enforced, but then again have never seen the lid rule enforced either.

Why is Baltimore County opening themselves up to workman's comp claims by requiring manual lifting of the cans? Lifters are everywhere, some companies even have trucks that grab the can from the side of the road, no crewman besides the driver and he never leaves his seat.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Baltimore County trash is evidently billed on your property taxes.

What Kharn didn't tell you is that unincorporated Harford County you are billed quarterly from a private hauler if you choose to have/hire trash service.

Since Scarborough and the Waste/Energy plant closed in Harford, there is basically only 1 provider to go to now, as everyone else who hauled trash has sold out. Bartenfelder is still driving trucks around though.
    Waste Industries and Republic are also still around, all support lifted cans IIRC. WI even provides them for free.

Private industry innovation, wooooo. :party29:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Why is Baltimore County opening themselves up to workman's comp claims by requiring manual lifting of the cans? Lifters are everywhere, some companies even have trucks that grab the can from the side of the road, no crewman besides the driver and he never leaves his seat.

The power of public service unions at work.

Some of the commercial haulers have an RFID scanner and an automatic scale in those trucks. You pay by the ton and number of pickups.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Waste Industries and Republic are also still around, all support lifted cans IIRC. WI even provides them for free.

Waste Industries is who I was referring to as basically being the only option.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Most, if not all Baltimore County public trash pickup is done by private contractors...in 25+ years, i have only seen Baltimore County trash trucks at county public schools....never in a neighborhood.

The warning I got, was from the private contractor when I placed my brand new (too big) 48 gallon can out, was on Baltimore County Government flyer, and said hinged lid was OK, but not recommended. 40 gallon maximum....

Dec 31, 2012
    Got a call from my wife while I was on my way home from work that there was a letter taped to the door with a $300 fine for lids not securely placed on the trash cans. We live in Essex and trash pickup up is Monday night/ Tuesday morning. Well the letter was dated for yesterday but was put on the door today 8/30. And I do put my cans out in the alley without lids so they don't grow legs, get blown away or demolished from cars running them over. So has anyone else had such a fine issued to them? And am I in the wrong from having this really pi$$ me off? When my can are in the yard they are lid tightly (Brute Rubbermaid) that yes the rats have chewed hole in the side while standing on the handle can post pictures later if anyone is curious. But to not put the fine on the door the day it is witnessed with no more detail is really screwed up.

The new norm for my Dundalk place in just the last year was to put out cans WITH lids. I had to buy extra lids because I knew I would lose some. When your can is the only one without a lid on trash collection day you become an easy target. Check online for lids for sale. Home depot and Lowes don't usually carry separate lids but I found them online for a not unreasonable amount. Spray paint your cans and lids. Road hazard orange is a nice color.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    The method we use is to tip the trash men at Christmas. We could put nuclear waste out in 100# cans, lids, no lids, hinged lids, doesn't matter, get home it's all gone and the cans are stacked neatly next to the driveway. If it's raining, they are upside down. I know a couple who have trouble getting around and the trash men go up the driveway into the back yard get the cans, empty them, and take them back up. I don't know what they give the guys, but I know we have the best trash men around. Baltimore County sub-contractors, not sure who.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The method we use is to tip the trash men at Christmas. We could put nuclear waste out in 100# cans, lids, no lids, hinged lids, doesn't matter, get home it's all gone and the cans are stacked neatly next to the driveway. If it's raining, they are upside down. I know a couple who have trouble getting around and the trash men go up the driveway into the back yard get the cans, empty them, and take them back up. I don't know what they give the guys, but I know we have the best trash men around. Baltimore County sub-contractors, not sure who.

It's not the trash guys

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I wouldn't chain it to the can. The County site states that it Must Not be fastened to the can with rope chains etc.

But I would definitely fight it. That same page also says the containers "should", not must, have a tight fitting lid. Also, they allow you to set out garbage in plastic bags so any argument they try to make that its for rat/animal control is BS otherwise they wouldn't allow it. (County Code §13-4-201 requires trash to be placed in a container with a tight fitting lid for storage. If a resident chooses to place household trash at the curb in a plastic bag, instead of a container, it may be collected if:
    1. The filled weight does not exceed 30 pounds (because of difficulty in handling).
    2. The bag is thick and sturdy enough to support 30 pounds of refuse without tearing, and is securely tied at the top to prevent spillage
    .)
    Then again that code says that lids are required despite the other site stating that they only should.

If you print off these discrepancies from their own site, I could see a successful argument. Or at the very least get the joy of annoying someone for a day by requesting a hearing. Good Luck!

It says they have to HAVE tight fitting lids, not that they have to be on the container. :)

But pretty stupid to fine people for no lids, but allowing bags only. Do they think that rats can't get into bags?????

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

In Harford, they seem to only provide them if you get the "limited" service. Then you are limited to what you can fit in the cans.

With unlimited service, you don't get cans, but can put out all the trash you want to put out for pickup.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I know a couple who have trouble getting around and the trash men go up the driveway into the back yard get the cans, empty them, and take them back up. I don't know what they give the guys, but I know we have the best trash men around. Baltimore County sub-contractors, not sure who.

ADA requires this.

My Dad gets this in Montgomery County. He only has to make it accessible. They come up the driveway to pick up and return the cans to the top of the driveway.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The method we use is to tip the trash men at Christmas. We could put nuclear waste out in 100# cans, lids, no lids, hinged lids, doesn't matter, get home it's all gone and the cans are stacked neatly next to the driveway. If it's raining, they are upside down.

Back when my grandparents lived on 32nd Street in Rosedale we always took good care of the trash men. Cold sodas in the summer, coffee in the winter. They were always friendly as hell and would take any damn thing we put out.

Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom