• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Masterchief36

Masterchief36
    May 16, 2009
    Va.
    Does anyone have a good idea for a reddot scope and magnifier that is as good as a Aimpoint but not as expensive and will attach to a LaRue micro mount and LaRue pivot mount?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    As good as an Aimpoint, but cheaper? Not going to happen, unless "used Aimpoint" is in play as an option.

Reasonably priced and pretty good for the price? Look at the Primary Arms Microdot.

nk02442

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 28, 2011
    Go with a primary arms or a vortex red dot. They are both around $100 with mounts and are pretty much as good as an aimpoint micro (which is rediculously overpriced for what it is). If you want a full size, you can find a nice used M2 with mount in the $300 range. I dont like micros beacuse the FOV is so small and it makes everything look cramped. I have a PA on my .357 Marlin lever gun and it has held zero through hundreds of full power loads.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Go with a primary arms or a vortex red dot. They are both around $100 with mounts and are pretty much as good as an aimpoint micro (which is rediculously overpriced for what it is). If you want a full size, you can find a nice used M2 with mount in the $300 range. I dont like micros beacuse the FOV is so small and it makes everything look cramped. I have a PA on my .357 Marlin lever gun and it has held zero through hundreds of full power loads.

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Pretty much as good as an Aimpoint?

Decent budget optics, perhaps, but it aint no Aimpoint, not even close.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008

Once again, WRONG!!!

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Honestly, cheap, and just as good as Aimpoint don't even belong in the same sentence. If you want an Aimpoint, pony up and get one.

Besides...I think if you tried to put a cheap Chinese optic in a LaRue mount, the optic would melt away, and Mark LaRue would fly his plane up here and pimp slap you and take the mount away.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Pony up and get the Aimpoint.

The others aren't 'just as good' as anything, they may be 'good enough' for some users, there is a big difference in those two statements.

nk02442

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 28, 2011
    Show me where it is worth 6 times the price. Aimpoints fail just like any other electronic weapon sight. I had a box full of them that were broken waiting to be DRMO'd.

99.995% will never need or know the difference between the two. You steer a new shooter to a product that he won’t even understand the difference, when he could spend that money on mags, ammo, and maybe someone who can show him how to shoot.

To add to that, why do you need a larue mount? Do you plan to take it on and off everyday? If you going to spend the money buy a Bobro which is a superior mount anyway.

To someone who has unlimited funds and wants to buy a cool looking safe queen, buy the aimpoint and the larue for around 700. Or buy 2 cases of ammo, 10 mags and go learn to shoot the rifle.

It’s easy to spit out what you heard on the internet, it’s another thing to use the products first hand and come up with your own conclusions. It’s also another thing to make useless posts regurgitating what the person above you posted. Hope this was Tier 1 enough for you.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Show me where it is worth 6 times the price. Aimpoints fail just like any other electronic weapon sight. I had a box full of them that were broken waiting to be DRMO'd.

99.995% will never need or know the difference between the two. You steer a new shooter to a product that he won’t even understand the difference, when he could spend that money on mags, ammo, and maybe someone who can show him how to shoot.

To add to that, why do you need a larue mount? Do you plan to take it on and off everyday? If you going to spend the money buy a Bobro which is a superior mount anyway.

To someone who has unlimited funds and wants to buy a cool looking safe queen, buy the aimpoint and the larue for around 700. Or buy 2 cases of ammo, 10 mags and go learn to shoot the rifle.

It’s easy to spit out what you heard on the internet, it’s another thing to use the products first hand and come up with your own conclusions. It’s also another thing to make useless posts regurgitating what the person above you posted. Hope this was Tier 1 enough for you.

Yes, all things break, however the aimpoint is much more resistant to breakage than any china optic.

Ive got an aimpoint micro sitting in my safe, turned on that i can trust will still be powered when i take it out of the safe to go shooting, or use it for defense, etc. The cheap chinese optics cannot guarentee that they will still be on because, They dont have the battery life anywhere near an aimpoint.

I know the aimpoint will hold a zero and not break just from shooting with it mounted, which is the opposite of my experience with chinese made optics. And i did have a Spark, its nowhere near the optic my Micro is.

Its funny that you automatically assume that someone buying good optics is automatically outfitting a safe queen. Theres plenty of people who arent.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The vortex is a good optic, my strikefore has beem through hell. However its got a few faults i dont like. I dont like the tint to the lens. Its not noticable unless you look for it, which i do. I think its only 4 hours it will stay on. The mount it comes with is ok, but a quick release is nicer. If an aimpoint is what you really want, you can get a used one for a good price. Check out ar15armory.com, there is usually a guy selling ml2's new i believe for 275 shipped. All you need is a mount.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    One major advantage the Aimpoints have is battery life. The Vortex isn't going to get anywhere near the 50k hours or so of battery life that an Aimpoint will achieve.

dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    1) Vortex
    2) Save for the real thing
    3) Watch eBay for used Aimpoints, also keep track of other forum classifieds...
    4) Just shoot the thing over irons, maybe get a tritium post.

I own a Trijicon TA33 G-H with LaRue mount. I paid about as much as one would if they were to buy a CompM4s from LaRue today.

It's nice to have but I don't need it.

I'll second others' thoughts that Micro T-1s and clones (when I have used them) seem cramped to me. That's one of the reasons I liked the EOTech over the Aimpoint back when I wasn't aware of the Aimpoint's ridiculous battery life advantage.

EOTechs are another option, and can be had pretty cheap if you pay attention.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Eotechs are great. I have it equipped on 2 rifles but on the AR, it is a bit blurry. I dont have the full top rail so it is somewhat closer to my face. I thought about trying an Aimpoint to rid this problem...let me know how yours works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom