• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 300zx

Feb 8, 2006
    Frederick
    I am looking into getting my C&R license. I was wondering, with this license, can you buy more than one weapon at one time? Also, If you purchase a handgun, do you have to register it, and how do you go about the waiting period?

Thanks in advance!

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    You can buy more than one C&R firearm at one time.

As to C&R handguns, there seems to be different interpretations of the MD state law. On one hand, I've heard that they should be treated like any other C&R firearm. So the waiting period doesn't apply.

OTOH, some big dealers refuse to ship C&R handguns directly to C&R licensees in MD. You'll have to get it transferred via a FFL01 dealer and jump through the same hoops as buying a modern handgun.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Buying a C&R handgun from an FFL with a C&R FFL is treated as an FFL to FFL transfer and there is no waiting period necessary and all that is needed is a copy of the FFL and the transaction recorded into your acquisition/disposition book. Registration in MD is voluntary and you do not have to register anything besides class III.

I asked the MDSP Firearms division if I could buy more than one C&R handgun in 30 days with my C&R license and I was told over the phone that I could buy as many as my bank account could afford. But be carefull because I did not get this in writing, so I asked for and recieved a "designated collector" status from the MDSP and now I can buy more than one non-C&R handgun a month as well. I don't have to worry about any ambiguity in the law this way.

One reason some distributors refuse to send a C&R handgun to 03 FFLs in MD is because of the ballistic fingerprinting law. But they do not have to fingerprint C&R handguns.
    As far as the misunderstanding about more than one firearm in one month law goes; it wouldn't be on them anyway, as I understand it, and the person buying more than one is the one held accountable.....but that is even if the one in thirty days even applies to C&R handguns bought by C&R FFL holders, which I don't think it does.

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    Now if we can get Century, AIM, SOG, and others to listen in and change their ridiculous restrictions ...

300zx

Feb 8, 2006
    Frederick
    Thanks for the reply!! I will definitely get my C&R now!!

Novus Collectus, could you please tell me how you got your designated collectors status?

Thanks again!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    300zx said:
    Thanks for the reply!! I will definitely get my C&R now!!

Novus Collectus, could you please tell me how you got your designated collectors status?

Thanks again!
    Its been about a year now, but I think I just called the MDSP Firearms section and asked for an application. I remember getting it notarised, but I can't remember much of anything else that was required if there was. I can't even remember if they charged something like five bucks or not.

Whatever was required, it was pretty easy IMO.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    MikeH said:
    Now if we can get Century, AIM, SOG, and others to listen in and change their ridiculous restrictions ...

What are their restrictions? I believe Empire Arms flatly refuses to sell any handguns to anyone in Md. but I don't recall reading anything about AIM, etc.

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    The ones I listed will only ship C&R handguns to FFL01. That means we must pay for transfers to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom