• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Rugers are built to last multiple lifetimes, not one.
    Your great, great, great, great, great grandkids will still be shooting that gun decades from now.
    Assuming they are still allowed to have it, of course....

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I shoot machine guns from WWI, and rifles that are well over 100 years old. Your pistol is a veritable infant.

Shoot it, enjoy it.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I would think it would take a hell of a lot of rounds of 22 rim fire to wear out a barrel. It's not like a 30-06 or a 220 Swift. My Ruger Mark I from 1980 is still going strong.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have a Mk II bull barrel which is basically an upgraded MK I. It had probably in excess of 20k rounds through it when I stopped shooting it steady about 10 years ago (a 1911 Ceiner replaced it as a practice pistol). The firing pin broke. I replaced it and was back up and running. Still as accurate as when I bought new in 1982.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've had this gun since 1972, and it's literally been all over the country with me. Living n Colorado and jeeping in the mountains, Canoe camping all up and down the Potomac river, and every road trip across the country. It even saved me and a girl friend from a wacko in a remote place. I can't begin to calculate how many thousands of rounds have been through it. It used to get shot every Saturday boring for about 15 years on the range. Then just plinking trips.

I've had other guns, and they all came and went. Just didn't bond with them. I even sold off my Smith and Wesson 617, it just didn't have the comfortable feel of the old Ruger.

But, am I deceiving myself and doing something a bit dangerous by continuing to use a gun over 40 years old?

It functions flawlessly, and shoots right to point of aim at 25 yards. I can actually shoot it better than the Ruger MK2 I bought in 1991 and kept for about 10 years before sending it down the road. Had to thick a front sight. The old standard has a nice thin front sight for a finer bead on odd targets like soda cans and tennis balls.

Retire or keep on shooting?

16557622660_16caa4ba84_c.jpg

Wow, great story!

The gun is most likely fine, I'll be happy to give it a quick look, I have some experience with this sort of thing.

I recommend you keep it, sounds like you know exactly what you are doing and just wanted a friendly discussion - we're doing that now, and thanks.

I've had the good fortune to be able to shoot many Lugers over the years. Great stuff, and if you really are considering selling this, send me a PM.

cb51

Wow, great story!

The gun is most likely fine, I'll be happy to give it a quick look, I have some experience with this sort of thing.

I recommend you keep it, sounds like you know exactly what you are doing and just wanted a friendly discussion - we're doing that now, and thanks.

I've had the good fortune to be able to shoot many Lugers over the years. Great stuff, and if you really are considering selling this, send me a PM.

Naa, I wouldn't ever get rid of this gun. I've went through Colt, Browning, Smith and Wesson, and others, but now ofd them ever felt like "IT." For some odd reason, this Ruger has felt perfect, and if I retired it, I'd just make sure someone in my family inherited it. I'd replace it with a new Ruger as close to this one as possible. I'm just wondering if anyone else has kept and used the same gun pretty continuously for 43 years?

I've sold off most of my guns in recent years, and actually enjoy owning less guns. Heck, I still have the same old Marlin lever action 39 I got about the same time as the Ruger. I'm finding as I get older, I don't want a lot of possessions weighing me down. I enjoy having the same old standbys that I know well and can count on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom