• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Funny you mention the cutlass. That's the blade I was looking at, but a bit beefier in the blade. I'll see if I can find it again. It looked more like a drop point Bowie configuration.

I'd be interested to see what you find. While browsing around I also found the Cold Steel Cutlass Machete which is pretty darn good deal for the money, far better than most hardware store machetes.

I do have to echo what others say about getting training time in with any edged weapon. I used to do JMA and now do HEMA. It's also important to have realistic ideas about why an invader would be in the house, what their motivation is, and how they will act when confronted (if you should even confront). It changes the tactics.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I'd be interested to see what you find. While browsing around I also found the Cold Steel Cutlass Machete which is pretty darn good deal for the money, far better than most hardware store machetes.

I do have to echo what others say about getting training time in with any edged weapon. I used to do JMA and now do HEMA. It's also important to have realistic ideas about why an invader would be in the house, what their motivation is, and how they will act when confronted (if you should even confront). It changes the tactics.

From Darksword:

http://www.darksword-armory.com/medieval-weapon/medieval-swords/the-spartan-sword-1363/

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I would be afraid of cutting the perp and getting blood everywhere, particularly on me.

What if the perp had a disease that was transmitted by blood? You only need a few hepatitis-c viruses to become infected. What if the splatter got in your eye?
    (potential candidate for the out of context thread)

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I would be afraid of cutting the perp and getting blood everywhere, particularly on me.

What if the perp had a disease that was transmitted by blood? You only need a few hepatitis-c viruses to become infected. What if the splatter got in your eye?
    (potential candidate for the out of context thread)

There would definitely be blood if you cut someone, or shot someone. If you shoot someone at very close range, you may also get their blood on you. As far as transmission of HCV, HBV, or HIV... they would have to bleed into an open wound. It's very rare , but there are documented instances of HBV transmission via this route.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As someone with a long history of edged weapon work I have to say that inside the house, unless you know a lot about what movements you can effect in close quarters with a particular weapon, then keep the blade length down to 15" or less. Unless you have unusually tall ceilings with no hanging lights or fans and wider than normal corridors. Someone mentioned a bastard sword, also known as the hand and a half sword. The Conan Atlantean sword is a bastard sword. Means it is designed to be used one handed but with a long enough hilt to use 2 in a pinch. But the Conan sword has a trick built in, which Arnold used in the first movie, which is the off hand can also grab the sword above the hilt where the brass guard encases the blade. That enables it to be used effectively as an even shorter blade in close quarters. In close quarters the point is more important than the edge, hence the Roman gladius which worked in close where the barbarian's longer swords they faced could not. Poniards and daggers were designed for close quarters work. Narrow tips, double edged, with a reasonably thick spine at the guard. However a close quarters blade will not likely scare anyone like a katana, unless your perp has some edged weapon experience which is unlikely.
    In reality unless you know how to effectively use an edged weapon, and have the will to use it, you are less armed than a novice with a firearm. An edged weapon means you have to get in range of the attacker, which a lot of people can't handle psychologically. So a big scary weapon might work better for the untrained. Maybe.
    In martial training of all types we had a saying that breaks down to a formula; Skill + Will = Kill. You have to have both. One or the other alone won't keep you alive.
    glistam what you say is the gospel. Know your territory well.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas

Attachments

• Zombie Chainsaw Rifle.jpg
      Zombie Chainsaw Rifle.jpg
      83.9 KB · Views: 246

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Remember Redskins player Sean Taylor who was murdered by home invaders, he had a machete for home defense.
    I think his guns were taken away or something like that, but still.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Believe me... I'm not giving up the 45 in deference to a blade. I started this thread to get people's opinions about which blades and steels might work it you don't have a gun, or live in a place that prohibits them.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    And then there's my favorite option for if they broke in with intentions to harm my family...

Attachments

• 220px-Soup_Spoon.jpg
      220px-Soup_Spoon.jpg
      8.7 KB · Views: 206

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    This sword nerd seems to think somewhat like me. I don't think slashes would be a very desirable attack in close quarters. In contrast, repeated thrusts allow you to still maintain a very good defense with your non-dominant side, gives you fast recovery, and is more likely to penetrate sufficiently to reach vitals once bones are considered.

Very good point. A good brush machete with a decent carbon blade if you can swing it and kept sharp will cut well, if not its probably going to break some bones (as many medieval swords did best). But one with a little more a point to make short straight thrusts (minds out of gutter) enables more defensive maneuvers.

Fortunately lots of options.

machete-styles.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom