• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Nice. And not really far from Annapolis.

Old Western Scrounger just dropped the price on their Yugo M48 sporters (only the wood has been modified, metal is uncut and all parts are there) to $199. Shipping to our neck of the woods is $15 IIRC.

That ain't a bad price for a complete Mauser-action rifle.

I need to save my spare change and make a run out there.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ebay is your best bet. I picked up a very good one with all the hardware for $100. Just had to fix a minor crack.

So what will fit? The M48 is intermediate, right?

Which means shorter action, but large ring? Vz24 the same?

Trying to get an idea if I can convince my wife to let me buy one what would work for wood, as I would like it in close to original configuration for lumber.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I wonder if I buy online if they will deliver to their parking lot? :)

noddaz

I asked that earlier, here's the response they gave me:

OWS said:
    We do not have a retail store, but do offer local pick up. If you do have your C&R, that would make it much easier. Just let us know when you are planning on visiting. We are here M-Thurs, 9am to 5pm :-)

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Trying to get an idea if I can convince my wife to let me buy one what would work for wood, as I would like it in close to original configuration for lumber.

Shorter action. Not sure about the VZ24 as I'm unfamiliar with it, but you can get an OG stock set for a decent price on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/m48-mauser...780951?hash=item5da7a84397:g:huAAAOSws4NemzoM

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD

Shorter action. Not sure about the VZ24 as I'm unfamiliar with it, but you can get an OG stock set for a decent price on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/m48-mauser...780951?hash=item5da7a84397:g:huAAAOSws4NemzoM

I believe the VZ24 is a large ring and standard length like a K98, so the wood would not work with an M48.

Keep in mind most of the M48 stock hardware is unique to the rifle and harder to find than K98 hardware. Just check out the price of a barrel band spring! https://www.ebay.com/itm/YUGOSLAVIA...-ORIGINAL-w-MARKINGS-/202947327025?nav=SEARCH

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I believe the VZ24 is a large ring and standard length like a K98, so the wood would not work with an M48.

Keep in mind most of the M48 stock hardware is unique to the rifle and harder to find than K98 hardware. Just check out the price of a barrel band spring! https://www.ebay.com/itm/YUGOSLAVIA...-ORIGINAL-w-MARKINGS-/202947327025?nav=SEARCH

Which just goes to show how crazy the C&R market is. Not ten years ago people were talking about how M48s were not much more than a "truck gun" or a decent deer rifle. Now, it's $$$$ for a barrel band spring.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Which just goes to show how crazy the C&R market is. Not ten years ago people were talking about how M48s were not much more than a "truck gun" or a decent deer rifle. Now, it's $$$$ for a barrel band spring.

Live long enough and you'll get to see lots of changes. I'm constantly running to keep pace with escalating prices and trends in the firearm collector world. It's really taken off in the last half decade. Great for sellers, not as much for buyers. Blame hoarding old farts like me who haven't sold off their collections yet.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Classic has Beretta 76's listed as C&R but I don't see them on the bulletin? Price isnt great but its a really nice service weight .22 trainer target gun. Legit C&R?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Classic has Beretta 76's listed as C&R but I don't see them on the bulletin? Price isnt great but its a really nice service weight .22 trainer target gun. Legit C&R?

No. They aren’t on the list and were made from 1971 on. So none are 50 years old yet.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Thats whats not jiving with me. There are some guns such as P64s that are categorical regardless of date.

CZ 82 and and several others became C&R well before the 50 year mark due to other factors. If the BATFE determines that the appeal of the weapon is derived from it's status as a collector's item, it can be brought in (for the whole serial range) as C&R before the 50 year mark. Another method is if a federally funded museum certifies it as a collection worthy. That's how the CZ82 got added in literally a few years after production ended according to conventional wisdom. Apparently some USAF museum decided to curate one and wrote a certification to the BATFE which opened up the ability to have it. It was hinged on the polygonal rifling that made it unique and thus, a curio. All 1970s and 1980s auto ordinance full auto Thompsons are also C&R and have been for a few years now.

I tried to get the PHP MV-9 certified, but couldn't get my hands on it at the time as it wasn't on the MD roster. The BATFE's Firearms Technology Branch was willing to make a determination if I could provide a sample for them. Given that they were of such a unique design and wartime production during the Serb-Croat wars, it would have been a shoe-in. The NRA museum was willing to advocate for it as well, but alas, the sources dried up before I could get my hands on one.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    CZ 82 and and several others became C&R well before the 50 year mark due to other factors. If the BATFE determines that the appeal of the weapon is derived from it's status as a collector's item, it can be brought in (for the whole serial range) as C&R before the 50 year mark. Another method is if a federally funded museum certifies it as a collection worthy. That's how the CZ82 got added in literally a few years after production ended according to conventional wisdom. Apparently some USAF museum decided to curate one and wrote a certification to the BATFE which opened up the ability to have it. It was hinged on the polygonal rifling that made it unique and thus, a curio. All 1970s and 1980s auto ordinance full auto Thompsons are also C&R and have been for a few years now.

I tried to get the PHP MV-9 certified, but couldn't get my hands on it at the time as it wasn't on the MD roster. The BATFE's Firearms Technology Branch was willing to make a determination if I could provide a sample for them. Given that they were of such a unique design and wartime production during the Serb-Croat wars, it would have been a shoe-in. The NRA museum was willing to advocate for it as well, but alas, the sources dried up before I could get my hands on one.

C&R PHP MV-9 would be awesome C&R even if through Funbroker.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I still cant figure out how these are C&R? Not on the 2018 bulletin? Anyone have any ideas?

Whole bunch of folks over on the book of faces have been scratching their heads as well. They're holding off on ordering because they don't want to get caught out like so many people did with the PSLs that Classic sold earlier this year that had the extra axis pin that the BATFE doesn't like.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Whole bunch of folks over on the book of faces have been scratching their heads as well. They're holding off on ordering because they don't want to get caught out like so many people did with the PSLs that Classic sold earlier this year that had the extra axis pin that the BATFE doesn't like.

Absolutely and dont trust Classic at all. Shame it would be really awesome to see those as C&R such a sweet target pistol.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Looked at the Classic site the 76's are under handguns not C&R email was wrong!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom