Does HK MP5A3 Collapsible Stock Meet Minimum 29" OAL Requirement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Thanks, but, for the same cost, you can just buy this from hkparts, which has everything you need (that's what I did).:)

Expendables

Sep 8, 2010
    Parkville, MD
    Picking up my zenith in a few days Fred, Hopefully Saturday!! Gonna start the sbr paperwork right away! I have actually become quite a fan of how the MOE stock looks on there and already bought the AR15 end cap so I can rock a brace while I wait. The fellas at Duffys Gun Room were a huge help and are creating some pretty cool stock solutions to keeping the MP5 look alive, they are still in the think tank, but I feel like they will have something good when my stamp comes back! I will keep this thread updated as the road to my dream gun continues!

Vltor makes a 7 position buffer tube that I will probably end up purchasing so I can secure the tube fully and still meet 29 inches.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/34...sition-mil-spec-diameter-ar-15-aluminum-black

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Congratulations!
    I've warmed-up to it as well. Still prefer the OEM style collapsible overall, but the AR stock is more comfortable and since it soothes the leftists' racist war against short stocks, it's definitely a workable alternative.
    If you plan to shoot hollow-points, you (or your gunsmith) will likely need to work out a feed ramp sorta thingy as the Zenith's don't seem to feed 'em by default (there's a separate thread detailing the problem and solution).

schnejerator

dabbled in pacifism once
    Sep 26, 2014
    haggistucky
    Congratulations!
    I've warmed-up to it as well. Still prefer the OEM style collapsible overall, but the AR stock is more comfortable and since it soothes the leftists' racist war against short stocks, it's definitely a workable alternative.
    If you plan to shoot hollow-points, you (or your gunsmith) will likely need to work out a feed ramp sorta thingy as the Zenith's don't seem to feed 'em by default (there's a separate thread detailing the problem and solution).

Fred I know it's not an A3 but it's close: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=189852

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    This thread is a few months old but I am looking at buying the Zenith Z5RS and was exploring stock options too.

Here is what I've come up with - any comments/suggestions please let me know!

1. Z5RS = 17.9 inches
    2. B&T Stock = 11 inches (https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-94-UMP-Style-B-T-Folding-Stock-ON-SALE-83p16928.htm)
    3. Ace Pad (grinded down to fit) - 1 inch

Overall length: 29.9 inches! As long as these measurements are exactly as advertised.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    This thread is a few months old but I am looking at buying the Zenith Z5RS and was exploring stock options too.

Here is what I've come up with - any comments/suggestions please let me know!

1. Z5RS = 17.9 inches
    2. B&T Stock = 11 inches (https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-94-UMP-Style-B-T-Folding-Stock-ON-SALE-83p16928.htm)
    3. Ace Pad (grinded down to fit) - 1 inch

Overall length: 29.9 inches! As long as these measurements are exactly as advertised.

Really nice find

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Not bad! Not bad at all.

I'd still like to find a collapsible stock that was long enough so I could run a suppressor also.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Extended rails for an A3 stock?

Seeing the ATF- and MDSP-Approved PS90 SBR thread reminded me of this.

I've been eyeing schnejerator's excellent A2 stock extension, and while the A2 is more comfortable to shoot, I really want to configure my SBR as an MP5A3. It's just cooler looking. :cool: (See Die Hard references above)

Has anyone figured out how to make an A3 stock work for length on an MP5 clone SBR?

smdub mentioned this:
    Staring at my F stock, while I think it would be stable if you added a notch (it hasn't pulled through the housing fully yet) there would no need to do so. If it were me, I'd weld little 3/4" leg extensions on vs affixing a 3/4" buttpad. (because I have a welder and could do it.) Would look almost stock:lol2: just wouldn't collapse as far. OAL collapsed will be a bit longer anyway no matter how you do it.
    If I was the "handy with the steel" sort who could machine/fabricate/weld I'd make some new, extra-long stock arms. Retracted, it would be slightly longer than the usual collapsed position, but fully extended, it'd be 29+".

Is anyone manufacturing such an animal? Obviously the MD SBR market is not huge, but maybe it's something a small custom shop could do...

Attachments

• MP5A3 extended mockup.jpg
      MP5A3 extended mockup.jpg
      17.7 KB · Views: 477
    • MP5A3 extended mockup suppressed.jpg
      MP5A3 extended mockup suppressed.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 455

schnejerator

dabbled in pacifism once
    Sep 26, 2014
    haggistucky
    Thanks slim. Have the A2 extension on my 94 and 53 clones, and got them figured out quite well. My 91 is full length (it's a real HK and will stay a rifle).

Looks like fred333 looked into extending the A3 (see post 71) with welding but i haven't seen anyone try it since. But I let my A3 stock go for a song, so I haven't been following...

I did machine new bars for the MPX (link here). I looked into something similar on my A3 but the bars weren't easily removable or something, and aren't a simple round shape... can't remember exactly why I didn't pursue.

Look forward to seeing what people have found!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    29.5"

Shoulder thing that goes up

Attachments

• 20170812_204942.jpg
      20170812_204942.jpg
      96.7 KB · Views: 501
    • 20170812_204954.jpg
      20170812_204954.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 420

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Looks like fred333 looked into extending the A3 (see post 71) with welding but i haven't seen anyone try it since.

Because I was unable to locate anyone able/willing to execute my welding plan (most said that due to the metal, the weld likely wouldn't be stable, so they declined to attempt it), I ended up getting an AR-style stock for use in Maryland (I fit the standard stock when I leave the nanny-state and cross back into the United States). And, actually, I prefer the AR stock over the OEM one; it's far more comfortable and functional.:shrug:

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Looks like fred333 looked into extending the A3 (see post 71) with welding but i haven't seen anyone try it since. But I let my A3 stock go for a song, so I haven't been following...
    Because I was unable to locate anyone able/willing to execute my welding plan (most said that due to the metal, the weld likely wouldn't be stable, so they declined to attempt it), I ended up getting an AR-style stock for use in Maryland (I fit the standard stock when I leave the nanny-state and cross back into the United States). And, actually, I prefer the AR stock over the OEM one; it's far more comfortable and functional.:shrug:

I did machine new bars for the MPX (link here). I looked into something similar on my A3 but the bars weren't easily removable or something, and aren't a simple round shape... can't remember exactly why I didn't pursue.

Schnejerator has a point about the metal. I’ve never handled an MPX, but in photos it looks much more robust than the MP5 one.

29.5" Shoulder thing that goes up
    I never thought of a Shoulder Thing That Goes Up! (STTGU?) Looks like the wire shoulder rest on the M240/M249 stock. Very clever!

Thanks slim. Have the A2 extension on my 94 and 53 clones, and got them figured out quite well. My 91 is full length (it's a real HK and will stay a rifle).
    Right after I posted, I ordered an A2 stock and was thinking I’d do a fixed (read low-tech, low-skill) version of schnejerator’s extension to keep it legal in MD. Now I kinda wish I’d just ordred the A3 stock to try the dontpanic STTGU. Maybe I'll try the shoulder rest loop on the A2. When it gets here I'll decide which one I want to try.

Look forward to seeing what people have found!
    Yes, definitely. Anyone else come up with an innovative solution?

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Ok, I'm not much of an innovator, but...

I'm thinking an extension like ivzarleinad made for the PS90. The A2 stock already has holes through it, for the sling loop, and used to attach a cheek riser. I'm thinking something like an AK underfolder, attached with a bolt through one of those holes.

Using the rear hole as the pivot, it might fold out of the way. Or, with some sort of skeleton stock like the Tapco folder, using the front hole, I could secure it with a second bolt through the rear hole, so it doesn't fold, and then be able to use a suppressor.

Attachments

• IMG_5805.JPG
      IMG_5805.JPG
      14.5 KB · Views: 376
    • IMG_20171016_215824513.jpg
      IMG_20171016_215824513.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 373
    • IMG_5808.JPG
      IMG_5808.JPG
      9.9 KB · Views: 363

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have heard of folks adding a butt-pad on the end and it meets the 29" requirement then.

Luckily got mine before the rule too affect.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom