• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just got a Model 1934 Beretta (1937 DOM). Except for the safety, I like the ergos. It actually has a guide rod and spring as opposed to (e.g.) my Walther PPK/S which has a spring on the barrel for recoil. It's heavy, surprisingly heavy.

It was inexpensive to buy, but the example I got is cosmetically fair at best. Practically no finish on the slide. The barrel has good rifling but some pitting from corrosive ammo. The action and function however seems to be excellent. Serviceable but not a looker. I am tempted to replace the barrel, apply Duracoat, and it would be as good as new; probably outliving me.

You can really see the similarity between this pistol and the Model 84. I am now considering a more modern Beretta for my collection. I also like 380; better than 32 and handier than 9mm.

Attachments

• 20170813_123510.jpg
      20170813_123510.jpg
      104.1 KB · Views: 392
    Jul 1, 2012
    My first impression of these was : HEAVY.
    ... and that the safety purely sucked. I couldn't even operate the one on mine w/o some mechanical help.
    I wound up selling it.

Before you Duracoat it, do some research to see if it's anything special.
    Some of these did have a thin, purplish finish on the slide.
    The slide markings, S/N and any proofs will be of interest... not in my wheelhouse though.

It'll probably shoot just fine with the barrel that's installed.
    These weren't target pistols in the first place :)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Go Here to see examples of most variations. And sit in awe at the fact that this is one man's collection!
    Somd_mustangs gave good advice. First do a little poking around to make sure you don't have a valuable variation.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I had a similar conversation with my son about my H&R Garand. It has the original walnut fore end and a birch stock replacement; looks sort of like a Frankenstein. I wanted to replace it with a Boyd''s stock. He talked me out of it saying the original has character, as well as the arms room number written on it. I have left it as original. Perhaps I should take the same attitude here.

Have yet to shoot it - but am very happy with it.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Silly question: Is this the Beretta that James Bond had to give up in the beginning of Dr. No? The movie was on the other night, and I deliberately tried to get a good look at it (because...well...gunnerdery, I guess:shrug:). I couldn't really make it out, but this one seems like a possibility.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Silly question: Is this the Beretta that James Bond had to give up in the beginning of Dr. No? The movie was on the other night, and I deliberately tried to get a good look at it (because...well...gunnerdery, I guess:shrug:). I couldn't really make it out, but this one seems like a possibility.

I think Bond used a Walther PP in 32 ACP. I might be wrong.

[EDIT - PPK - I stand corrected]

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Hey - you are right!!

"The M1934 makes an appearance in the 1962 Classic Dr. No. Even though James Bond is portrayed as toting a Beretta 418 at the beginning of that flick, the M1934 is actually used as a stand in."

http://blog.beretta.com/this-old-gun-the-beretta-m1934-pistol

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The Beretta 418 is 25 ACP; he would be better of with the Walther PPK in 32 ACP for sure.

So...I did not mean to hijack your thread into a Bond discussion, and I'll stop with this: Some of the youtube comments on that clip are worth a good laugh. A lot of keyboard commando caliber discussion, and, probably my favorite, "LOL, Bond trying to fool his boss -- a guy who manages spies all day, everyday"

Anyway, sorry about stepping on your thread. That is a very nice piece. I think she looks great for being 80 years old. I'm assuming the complaints about the safety is because it is out of reach and has to rotate all the way around to cover the red dot? That IS crazy.

Jul 1, 2012
    Go Here to see examples of most variations. And sit in awe at the fact that this is one man's collection!
    Somd_mustangs gave good advice. First do a little poking around to make sure you don't have a valuable variation.

hah, I had that link in my post and then pulled it out.
    ... figured if this was something special Mark would have grabbed it, he surfs GB etc relentlessly looking for 1934/35 etc.

Ok - are you telling me this guy has a crate of vintage P38 pistols???

Mark certainly has the equivalent of more than a few crates (I think there's 30 or so in that crate?)
    I know he doesn't store them that way!
    Check out the rest of his site, it's crazy cool.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Mawkie - thanks for that. I emailed the guy and he told me that I have a common variant. Still TBD as to whether or not I Duracoat it. If I do, it will be something that looks like bluing (DuraBlue); no purple or zombie green for this pistol.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    No love for rust blue? Ithttps://gunsmagazine.com/the-diy-rust-blue/ was (I think) the original finish for the pistol, and if done successfully, it's a beautiful finish.

You can do i at home if you wish, and if the results don't please you, you can still have someone do the Duracoat.

https://gunsmagazine.com/the-diy-rust-blue/

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/specialty-bluing-chemicals/classic-american-rust-blue-prod9815.aspx

Thanks - I will consider. Keep in mind the DuraBlue is supposed to look like a blued finish and comes in gloss or matte. The YouTube vids I have seen are amazing. One can will do 2 or 3 firearms.

But will also research this options as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom