• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TSBeckman

Jun 20, 2017
    Hello. Brand new here. Need some advice.

I "own" a bunch of valuable and collectible guns and rifles that I inherited from my father. I am not a gun enthusiast and I'd like to sell them. I know what the guns are and have a general idea of their values (some worth several thousand dollars), but I need advice on how to sell them. I don't want to break any laws and would like to consign the firearms with a trustworthy and professional shop / dealer who will try to get me top dollar and will take only a reasonable % for the selling service.

Who would you suggest I contact? I'm in Timonium and would prefer to stay in Baltimore County, but I'm open to all input and suggestions.

Thank you.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 469

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I've consigned a bunch of guns through Tyler Firearms in Halethorpe (right off exit 9 on 695) and I always had good results. They've done high-end collections before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I've consigned a bunch of guns through Tyler Firearms in Halethorpe (right off exit 9 on 695) and I always had good results. They've done high-end collections before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've also had great consignment experience with Tyler's.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I work P/T for Scott's Gunsmithing in Glen Burnie so I will put a plug in for Scott's. We do quite a few consignment sales with, what I believe, are reasonable rates. We handle some militaria and older hunting guns and collectables as well as just used firearms in general. For example, I bought one of my Lugers and a Colt Woodsman there a few years back when I was only a customer and we recently sold an all original British Enfield Sniper complete with original mounts and original scope for $3k. We have also moved a couple SCARs for around 3k. Just FYI, when you consign with us, if you take the firearm back within 30 days, we charge $25 per gun returned. After 30 days, if you are unhappy with how long it's taking, you can take them back for free. Given our time logging guns in and out of books we at least want a chance to sell a firearm before someone comes and takes it back. One more thing....we have entered the summer doldrums for gun sales. Most people are more interested in vacationing at this time than gun purchases. Usually things start picking back up in mid - late August or September...and not just hunting guns, but collectables also. So please keep that in mind should you think you might check us out.

Some one alluded to Jack Bart being a good option. They used to be. I don't know now since the store, Bart's, closed. He is still doing shotgun training and sales of new trap guns as well as fitting. However, does he still have a venue to sell consignments? I am not aware of any unless he has a recent web presence.

For firearms worth several thousands and more, especially older collectable shotguns and hunting rifles, it's hard to beat Albright's in Easton, MD. Their consignment fee is higher than ours, but they do have clientele that may make them a good choice for higher end hunting or clays shotguns and hunting rifles. FYI, they are a Guerini and Beretta authorized dealer....if that means anything to you. Plus, they do at least some internet sales as well. I have seen used Kreighoffs, Perazzis, and of course, Guerinis and Berettas as examples of used modern guns and Parkers, A H Fox shotguns and many other higher end collectables hunting guns there including some nice drillings. I sold a Greener through them once many years ago and traded a Greifelt plus some cash for another firearm some years back. I love to stop when in the area to drool. One downside is the distance for you....probably 60+ miles and a toll (bay bridge) or maybe 2 or 3 (Key Bridge or Tunnel). I think most of their Internet sales are now on GunsAmerica (gunsamerica.com and search on "Albrights"). They usually do have some in store guns not advertised on the Internet.

You could also try using the main internet sites like GunBroker, GunsAmerica and Guns International. The biggest problem you might encounter there is that many purchasers will have to use a local (to them) 01 FFL and many 01 FFL dealers refuse to send a non 01 FFL a copy of their license and you should have that a) to prove to the shipper that the destination is an FFL holder and b) A copy should be enclosed in the shipping container. I am actually an 03 FFL (so-called C&R Collectors License) and encounter this problem from time to time. Your option then is to enlist an FFL local to you to handle the shipping which, of course, is going to cost. Also, newbies on the sites with few or no ratings sometimes find it hard to get top prices for their firearms and, lacking a brick and mortar presence or ability to take charge cards (offering some protection from fraud or scams), some are fearful of scams.

Then, you can sell long guns Face to Face. Just cover yourself by getting identifying information (D/L license is good) on a bill of sale. You cannot sell to someone that you have reason to believe may be disqualified from owning a firearm. You also cannot, however, sell a long gun to a resident of another state whether here or in another state without an FFL. That is Federal law and requires handling by an 01 FFL (dealer).

Hope this helps

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome, from Dundalk!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT]lease consider donating to help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fight Maryland's HQ[FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom