• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    my house got robbed last night by two orange clays..... my hd mossberg was useless and terrified, it just dumped out its mag like it crapped its pants.

if only i had a super expensive skeet gun:rolleyes:

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    Ok, just because I feel left out, I'm going to jump in the mix.

I too have a not so Tacticool shotgun. It's a H&R 18 1/2" Pardner Pump Protector (haven't tricked it out yet). I bought it because I wanted to have a shotgun for home defense.

I had at one point s 28" Mossberg 535, but found it hard to maneuver around the house with it....:D I gave it to my dad as a birthday present. I do plan to get another hunting shotgun in the future.

I have never shot skeet or clay, but have wanted to. I've wanted to get a nice O/U or Side-by-Side, but the $$ is out there. I'm working on trying to go with the wife to the PG range and rent a gun and try it out.

The idea of a Tacticool shotgun is the same as with an AR or even cars. It's the idea that one can take their "HOBBY" to the next level and customize their gun to be their own design (of sorts), tinkering with them.

You might have been trying to be "Sarcastic" when writing your comment, but you came off as being a FUDD. We have enough problems with the anti gun groups verbally assaulting us about the choices of firearms we like and purchase. Then hunters turning their backs on tactical/handgun owners because they don't hunt. We don't need those who say they are on our side doing the same, even in jest.

So with that.... we need to agree, opinions are like butts, we all have them.

We also need to agree that we all have different tastes in guns, styles and reasons from owning them.

We also must ALWAYS remember, no matter what we own or why, the antis will stop at nothing to divide and concur, taking our guns one at a time.

SO STOP THE ARGUING AND GO SHOOT SOMETHING !!!!

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    For the record, I have a "cheap, rattling" 870 supermag with a plastic stock and fore that has taken countless geese, ducks, pheasant, chukars, and quail. With the swap of a barrel, it is my HD weapon of choice. I'm sorry that offends you.

As a side note, I've notice a lot of anti-gun posts on this forum, lately. The posters always have under 100 posts, and there posts are generally 180 degrees from what is usually found here. It just seems a little suspicious.

Ok, I'll call it: Troll.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Let's break this down into what he actually said vs. what was implied by some of the folks who read it.

I don't get it. What's with this whacky obsession with tactical shotguns? It seems like nearly every thread here has to do with cheap pump guns wearing gobs of aftermarket junk, followed by comments like "cool".
    FWIW, there does seem to be a bit of an obsession on this forum for these kinds of shotguns. Lot's of folks are putting together project shotguns, and there are even threads about which sight would be the best so they can properly whack that boogeyman in the dark. (I personally believe that a standard bead is more than enough for HD use, but that's not nearly as cool as a holo-red dot sight. ;) )

What in the world would anyone outside of law enforcement or the military use this junk for? Even they don't use such flowered up spacy looking toys. Surely it could not really be used for "HD" when there are clearly better choices for that one in ten thousand need.
    For the most part I tend to agree with that. My HD shotgun is my 2.75" Remington 870 Wingmaster with the shorter of the two barrels I own for it. It truly boils down to a want vs. need, and what do we really "need?" But let it also be said that I believe most of the people who put together the really tacti-cool shotguns for HD realize the difference between want and need - they merely want the cool gun, put together to their own specifications for that singular purpose.

They are good for nothing other than an occasional fire fight in a phone booth! They are not hunting guns or target guns. I think way too many folks have been spending way too much time playing video games and are now trying to own a gun invented in the mind of some game programmer. :sad20:
    Tend to disagree with that. On one hand they are not hunting or target guns, but they could easily be converted to be used for either purpose. As for video games, many of the folks who own these shotguns don't play any video games at all - I know I don't and I still want to make a project tactical shotgun. :D

What ever happened to Trap guns, Skeet guns, Sporting Clays guns, Waterfowl guns or Upland Bird guns? Does anyone on this forum other than a few rare posters actually hunt or shoot clay targets? Does anyone here actually have a sense of history when it comes to shotgun development and use? I don't think most of you wannabee WWI trench gun users would recognize a good bird gun if it hit you in the head! :rolleyes:
    Hmmm....lots of stuff to consider in that part. There have been champion skeet shooters who have done it with an 870, so needless to say, you don't have to spend wads of money for a "good" bird gun, which I assume based on the post to be high value doubles.

Please........ no more pictures of rattling Mossberg pumps with plastic stocks and parts stuck on them that look like they came off a 1956 Studebaker. How about posting info about your classic American doubles. Pictures of LC Smiths, AH Foxes or Parkers would be refreshing. How about info on the latest development in target guns and ammo. Perhaps info on any of the clay target games would be more helpful to those who might want to pursue those sports than yet another picture of tactical BS. :rolleyes:

Hey 'yall..... thanks for letting me vent! :)
    I think what we have here is a guy who really likes and has an appreciation for the finer shotguns - blued steel, polished walnut, engraved receivers - that sort of thing - and he'd like to see more posts containing that kind of thing. However, suffice it to say there are far more budget-minded shooters on this board who simply don't have the $1000+ (or more!) to spend on one of those, (which is aside from the fact that they don't hunt, nor do they shoot trap and skeet) but they can put together a decent, custom, tactical shotgun for less than half of what those bad boys cost.

I don't know why you guys all have your dander up because WB decided to post an opinion - again, shouldn't he be entitled to it?

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    my house got robbed last night by two orange clays..... my hd mossberg was useless and terrified, it just dumped out its mag like it crapped its pants.

if only i had a super expensive skeet gun:rolleyes:

Arm yourself with this for the orange clay invasion (hopefully it isn't too tacticool):

Attachments

• PS-52.jpg
      PS-52.jpg
      13.1 KB · Views: 193
    Whoa, jeez everybody! Someone switch in caffeinated for the non-caffeinated?:)

I think the OP was just posting in jest (albeit failed miserably) but this thread degraded rapidly from there. I don't get the feeling it was meant to be malicious, though.

Everybody settle down now, and relax. And we need settle this over a beer. Who wants to get a beer tonight? (Thread jacking in progress!!!) :party29:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    trickg, I agree with you. As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, he seems like he knows what he's talking about, and he expressed an opinion. All of that is fine by me, even if I don't agree with it.

If an shotgun goes bang, that's pretty much all it needs to do for HD. Everything else is up to the individual tastes and wallet size of the shooter.

Seems like this thread is beating a dead horse already, but that is my opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree. :)

njbroug

Feb 6, 2009
    Laurel
    I have a "tacticool" shotgun, and I've debated a few of these points with WB on another thread already. Did his post come across as a little snobbish and dickish? Yeah, but so what? I think a lot of the posts I read on here are snobbish and dickish. Its a part of the internet forum environment, and its a part of what makes forums so fun to read. I also think the disproportionate response is also a normal part of forum life. It's called IMS. Internet Muscles Syndrome. When you allow people to post anonymously, they are almost always more snobbish and dickish than they would be in real life. So what? That's what you deal with when you deal with forums. I think we all need to remember:

"Fighting on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded."

(Maybe this isn't the best time to say that considering BO's appearance on Leno last night...)

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I don't know why you guys all have your dander up because WB decided to post an opinion - again, shouldn't he be entitled to it?

Because of his repeated snobbish attitude and the fact that this post was nothing more than a trolling post. Maybe this is acceptable at myshotgunisbetterthanyourssodontpostpicturesofyourinferiorshotgun.com/forums, but not here.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If an shotgun goes bang, that's pretty much all it needs to do for HD. Everything else is up to the individual tastes and wallet size of the shooter.
    :thumbsup: Couldn't agree more - especially on the "wallet size" comment. I go to the range and see guys shooting really nice 1911s - top of the line Kimbers or better - and still can't hit squat with them. However, if it makes them happy, who am I to say what they should or shouldn't spend money on. It's like that kid I gigged with way back when - his money would have been better spent on some lessons than on all of those horns and accessories he owned, but it was clear that all of that stuff made him happy, so as long as we made it through the gig ok, I was cool with it.

And with that, I'm going to politely excuse myself from this thread.

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    I thought this entire site was devoted to battle axes, broad-swords, maces and other assortments from medieval battles?

Guns? I didn't think King Arthur had one?!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    i was just comparing him to a brady campaigner... not necessarily calling him a queer.

but where i call his post ignorant is where he says "tactical" shotguns have no sporting use and you cant hunt with them.. just because they are black and/or have a pistol grip?

Bean, you forgot to add enough smileys, if you did then it would just be considered a joke that some people are too stupid to understand;)

you sound like a brady bunch queer....:innocent0

its my money and if i want a "tacticool" shotgun, i'll build one.:tongue01:

and to your ignorant post/ rant.. believe it or not, you can actually hunt with a tactical shotgun!:asshat:

see, if you are not:lol2: better check your pulse;)

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    OK I wasn't going to pile on the bonfire but, I really do take offense when self rightious elitests take shots at us "commoners". I have owned many firearms and have enjoyed the full range of sporting activities with them. In all my years of shooting sports there is only one firearm that has functioned flawlessly whenever asked to and without any special care and that's my mossberg 500. I have several barrels for it, I have hunted with it, I have shot clays with it, I have shot deer slugs with it, but what it does most right now is sit in my closet like a good old guard dog wearing a short barrel and full of 00 and slugs and protect my family. It has this honor as the one gun in my house that's loaded and locked and not in the safe because I know if I need it, it WILL work. Yea it's loose and noisey, and the blueing is worn thin, and the barrel doesn't quite match the reciever but that's what makes it mine. I have several much more highly prized and priced firearms but that mossberg is my favorite. I can appreciate a finely tuned, gold encrusted, engraved, walnut stocked firearm just the same as you but, do not in the process of appreciating your tastes, insult mine. You don't see me or other members on this forum posting " Who would buy a $5000 shot gun that only holds 2 rounds?" or " why would you buy a gun that pretty and easily damaged to take into the woods?" I stand with E Shell if you have a passion contribute positively, not by tearing down someone else's passion. You never know how many on here might have a passion similar to yours. 'nuff said, vent over

andy

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I'm sure there are sites dedicated to trap, skeet and hunting if that is what an individual is mostly focused on. I don't think it would be appreciated if I showed up there and commented my $200 shotgun is just as effective as their $2500 semi-auto custom skeet rifle and they are just posers. I know I don't hunt, but I appreciate reading about the type of riles used and customized from time to time. Some of us collect, some of us hunt, some of us compete, some target shoot for recreation and some merely just want a couple HD options. There is a way to express your opinion without ripping on a group of people you don't know. From being on here (and boards I've been on for years) I would opinion that if one of the established members that many on the board knew their sense of humor made some of these comments there would be a lot of lols. However no matter how affiliated you are with a group you can't be new, unkown and walk into a group of guys and start throwing yo moma jabs at the guys without getting someone riled.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    I thought his first post was funny.

Lots of guys here need to work on self-confidence or something so as not to get their panties in a wad over such a silly post.

steampunk

Oct 11, 2008
    Wow troll, need some douche to get the sand out of your vagina? I will do to my toys what I want and you can't stop me. Maybe stop bitching and post some meaningful stuff or questions about those things you mentioned that you are interested in and a conversation will start. It's funny how that works.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Okey dokey....I think we've made our points and counterpoints about mannerisms now and the horse is dead, beaten again, turned into glue and being usd in preschools throughout the country as we speak. :rolleyes:

Can we get on with professing our love for these guns and why?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom