• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I couldn't care less about bird hunting, trap or skeet.

I do however enjoy a day of real exercise running through a tactical training course and engaging targets in a limited amount of time.

I suppose you've failed to see that "tactical shooting" is another sport in itself.

You probably hate semiauto handguns and IDPA too.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I couldn't care less about bird hunting, trap or skeet.

I do however enjoy a day of real exercise running through a tactical training course and engaging targets in a limited amount of time.

I suppose you've failed to see that "tactical shooting" is another sport in itself.

You probably hate semiauto handguns and IDPA too.

The clay games are great practice for engaging moving targets, and easy to get involved in than three gun and other tactical shooting sports. One of these days I'll get myself involved in three gun, etc, looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Semi auto handguns? What would anyone other than police and military use all that junk for? Please only post pictures of black powder revolvers.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Wow! Do we all need to switch to decaf or something?

Heck it's a rant, and kinda funny, maybe we're taking this all too seriously.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    The lack of comprehension and the inability to recognize dry humor & sarcasm continues to puzzle me. A simple post turns some folks into jelly, fearing it's meaning to be banned guns, attacks on the Second Amendment, links to the Brady Campaign, personal affronts and fusing them into some sort or economic class when none of this exists in the post. Some of you guys are really way out there. Beam me up Scotty, there's no...........................

Perhaps a new forum for sporting shotguns would be in order if there's enough interest in it. In the meantime, 'yall need to chill out. When I take my hat off you will not see horns, really!

Enjoy the weekend, really!

BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    Just my .02...I personally can see why some people get a little worked up when you openly call something junk that they spent their hard earned money on and are very proud of. I think they have every right to defend their "junk" that they love so much.

donliv

Oct 25, 2008
    Bel Air
    Just my .02...I personally can see why some people get a little worked up when you openly call something junk that they spent their hard earned money on and are very proud of. I think they have every right to defend their "junk" that they love so much.

Exactly. And this "dry humor" and "read between the lines" is a common response of someone back tracking once they get their ass handed to them in a few posts and can't stand behind what they said...

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    Spot77,

Wrong again. I actually shot IPSC from the early '80s until the early '90s. I still have a Baer gun and about ten other pistols and 15 or so revolvers. I too shot some three gun matches and enjoyed it. I have little interest in IDPA, but only because the lack time holds its ugly constraints on me these days. I would like to shoot it all to some degree.
    In the past I have shot just about everything there was to shoot and sometime in the future I would enjoy shooting more than I do now.

Like some others, you failed to read the simplicity of my post. It was made to seek out other shotgunning forms in our community while ribbing the tacticool guys a bit. That was sincerely done in jest and it does surprise me that the "jest" wasn't clearly recognized. I guess it went right over the heads of some and that's a hazard of internet conversation I suppose. I'll try to do better. Adios.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Spot77,

Wrong again. I actually shot IPSC from the early '80s until the early '90s. I still have a Baer gun and about ten other pistols and 15 or so revolvers. I too shot some three gun matches and enjoyed it. I have little interest in IDPA, but only because the lack time holds its ugly constraints on me these days. I would like to shoot it all to some degree.
    In the past I have shot just about everything there was to shoot and sometime in the future I would enjoy shooting more than I do now.

Like some others, you failed to read the simplicity of my post. It was made to seek out other shotgunning forms in our community while ribbing the tacticool guys a bit. That was sincerely done in jest and it does surprise me that the "jest" wasn't clearly recognized. I guess it went right over the heads of some and that's a hazard of internet conversation I suppose. I'll try to do better. Adios.

You are correct. You failed.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I see both sides of the issue. Personnally, I'm a big believer in blued steel and nicely finished figured walnut, and I tend to gravitate toward older Smith & Wesson revolvers more than I do Glocks, XDs or HKs, however, I know that everyone has their own style and that we live in a world of customization. We customize everything in an effort to make it "mine" - clothes, cars, laptops, cell phones, etc. We are also a society that loves to accessorize, and some people do it to a fault.

As a gigging musician, I once had a gig with this guy who had an anniversary model of a professional level trumpet - it was laden with gold plated accents and he'd installed a gold "trim kit" to include gold plated valve buttons/bottom caps, valve stems, etc. This was just one of his horns - he also had other nice trumpets in varying keys. He also had a pouch full of custom made mouthpieces and he had a bag full of all of the best mutes, valve oils, stands, tuners, metronomes, etc. And as a musician....well the nicest thing to say is that he needed some work. Obviously all of that money spent on fine equipment didn't help him much as a player, but if it made him happy to have all of that stuff, so be it.

Bringing this back around to the Tacti-cool shotguns that are posted around on the forum, I can see why people have them - they do serve the purpose of being able to be used for home defense, but aside from that, they are something that people can customize and make "mine" by having the freedom to decide what grips, stocks, magazine tubes, flahslights, rails, etc, they want to have on them - it becomes a project where once they are done, they can say, "I made that," and it's something they can be proud of.

I currently own 3 shotguns - two 870s (12 and 20) and a Winchester Model 12. I don't "need" a tacti-cool shotgun. However, having said that, I've been itching to pick up something like a cheap, used 870 Express, and then just go nuts - get all of the necessary stuff like rails, stocks, pistol grips, short barrel, magazine tube, etc, and then custom color it with something like Brownell's Aluma-hyde II. Why? I don't know - I just like that kind of a project.

So, I have no problem with threads on tacti-cool HD shotguns, but I would really like to see some threads showing some really fine guns with polished bluing and figured wood - like this one. :) (Not a shotgun, but one of the nicest looking firearms I own.)

Attachments

• Mauser98_1.jpg
      Mauser98_1.jpg
      40.2 KB · Views: 242

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    donliv,

Perhaps the backtracking comment is a common response used by those who just don't habla. I'm not backing up one step, just trying to leave clear tracks for one eyed trackers. Chill out. Enjoy what you shoot. Be safe.

Well kids, I would like to carry this on, but I have a flight to catch. I probably stirred this pot enough and will let it simmer for a bit. LOL

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Congrats hole punch.... after umpteen replies, you got it, while the others got wound around the spokes and started reading way too much between the lines. :thumbsup:
    We don't have to read between the lines to see that the rolling eyes smilies and shaking head smilies were not posted in jest and you were not kidding.
    Don't back peddle now, you are obviously out numbered or out "gunned" in your opinion. ;) <---(sarcasm)

I had a long ass post that was quite bitter but I chopped it all and narrowed it down to this.....
    Last time I checked it was MY money, not yours. Until you are bankrolling my firearm purchases, its not your business what I buy.

To each their own. Just because you don't approve of it, doesn't make it wrong. :rolleyes:<---(disdain)

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    you sound like a brady bunch queer....

its my money and if i want a "tacticool" shotgun, i'll build one.

and to your ignorant post/ rant.. believe it or not, you can actually hunt with a tactical shotgun! :rolleyes:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    you sound like a brady bunch queer....

its my money and if i want a "tacticool" shotgun, i'll build one.

and to your ignorant post/ rant.. believe it or not, you can actually hunt with a tactical shotgun! :rolleyes:
    The last time I checked, everyone in the US is entitled to have and voice an opinion - including the original poster. He expressed a valid viewpoint and backed it up with reasoning that matched his personal opinion and viewpoint. That's totally ok and I don't think it warrants comparing him to a queer or calling him or his writing ignorant.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    The last time I checked, everyone in the US is entitled to have and voice an opinion - including the original poster. He expressed a valid viewpoint and backed it up with reasoning that matched his personal opinion and viewpoint. That's totally ok and I don't think it warrants comparing him to a queer or calling him or his writing ignorant.

i was just comparing him to a brady campaigner... not necessarily calling him a queer.

but where i call his post ignorant is where he says "tactical" shotguns have no sporting use and you cant hunt with them.. just because they are black and/or have a pistol grip?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    but where i call his post ignorant is where he says "tactical" shotguns have no sporting use and you cant hunt with them.. just because they are black and/or have a pistol grip?
    I guess it depends on how you want to look at it. Often times a tactical shotgun won't have a choke - it's wide open because its design is to open up the pattern with a heavier, larger shot in a short distance, whereas a sporting shotgun will have some type of choke to determine the pattern.

My two 12 gauge shotguns both have full choke barrels (and the second barrel I have for the 870 is full choke as well - it's just longer) and my 20 gauge 870 has an improved cylinder choke. But, having said that, changing the choke on a tactical shotgun, especially one that doesn't have an extended magazine tube, is as simple as switching a barrel. I don't know how easy that is to do with a Mossberg, but I can change the barrel on my 870s in less than a minute.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    The OP's post really did sound arrogant and snide. If he was trying to be coy, he failed.

I used to shoot skeet for my company team in competitions. I have several shotguns. My favorite is a 28ga SxS Stoeger. I mostly use my ugly, plastic, black, no-good, worthless, non-sporting Benelli Nova to hunt with <sarcasm>. I have taken lots of birds and hunted lots of deer with it or one just like it. Hmmm....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom