• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've used Bucks and I've used Kershaw(currently). The Bucks dulled more easily but were easier to resharpen. The Kershaws hold an edge better, but seem more difficult to rehone(but not for me). It all depends on what kind of edge you're trying to keep. My two deer knives are bucks and though I cut through ribs and cartilage, only require touching up on crock sticks.

Also, the longer you go between "touch ups" the duller the knife gets, eventually requiring honing.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There is a lot that goes into a good knife for the job, steel, edge profile, grind, and so on, lots of threads about blade steels and sharpening, and the performance can vary wildly. I like good tools, have numerous knives that I think are fantastic for the couple hundred dollars I paid for them, but also know when simple, and inexpensive knives work, and own several. I always carry a pocket knife, and most of the time pair 2 knives in order to have the best for the job. The BEST knife I have for cutting loads of cardboard and packing tape is a cheap Milwaukee Fastback with good replaceable utility blades. Opens and closes with a flick, easy to replace blades, locks well enough for it's intention, and relatively compact and ergonomic. The blades have a thinner edge, and lower grind angle than a pocket knife can get away with, so they will out cut pretty much any folder. Blades are also heat treated hard, being there is less than an inch of unsupported blade, and if it does break it's replaceable, so it shears well when push cutting tough and abrasive material.

Milwaukee-Fastback-Compact-3.jpg

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Buncha posts while I was tapping.

Look , if you WANT to get a bragging quality knife with super steel on purpose, by all means go for it. ( Heck , I started a thread on it.) But if you just want to cut thru a crap load of packaging, use intended tools.

There are utility knives that are the same size as pocket knives, at least some of which have pocket clips. Just about every hardware and auto part store will have at least one. With 10 sec of googling, I found a comparison test by trucktrends dot c , comparison of 6 between $14.99 and $4.99 . Any of the top 5 would be sufficient for your needs, and general usage.

Yup

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I carry a "husky" folding utility (razor knife) and couple decent folders.

But go to is the utility....gets dull just replace blade.

Decent folders are for food, and butchering game

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yes you can resharpen utility blades. After doing it a cpl times to impress your friends with your mad knife sharpening skills, its not worth the effort.

I resharpen utility blades when I forget to buy spares. I occaisonally find it worth the time; beats a 45 minute round trip to the hardware store if I only need a razor.

If you prefer dodging idiots in the parking lot and standing in checkout lines, more power to you (not directed at Biggffoot44)

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Plan A - Aquire the skills/ tools to sharpen yourself. Once the desired edge geometry is established, it only takes a few strokes to keep it that way, as long as you maintain the edge before it gets seriously out of shape.

Get a Lansky sharpening kit. Take time to put a good edge on it and once a week spend 5 minutes cleaning it back up. I carry a Kerhsaw everyday. Never hurt my wallet to buy it holds and edge fairly well. And I have bought a few more. Depending on budget and spare time you have find a style you like buy 2-3 of them. Sharpen then all the same way and rotate thru depending on use. I do have an SV30 blur but like it to much and cost more then I want to break or lose on the job.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    This is a folding quick into action razor you can pick up at The Home Depot, I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. If you want a true "knife" try something in S35vn steel or 20cv they have been great edge holders in slicing tasks.

Attachments

• Milwaukee-FastBack-2-Knife.jpg
      Milwaukee-FastBack-2-Knife.jpg
      33.3 KB · Views: 178

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    As many have said, just get a box cutter to take the abuse. Don't waiste hundreds of dollars to cut boxes. Now, if you want the best knife money can buy, I'd recommend a Benchmade 940-1. Carbon fiber handle and s90v steel.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I have an Ontario Rat($30) for work and other similar prices knives. I have a wicked edge sharpener and have no problem keeping an insane edge. S30V is good steel for what you're looking for without breaking the bank I feel.

+1 on the Rat or Rat II or I used a Kershaw 1660 Ken Onion Leek with excellent results for many years. The blade shape on that knife is perfect for what you do. I just keep losing them for some reason. As someone stated if you keep an edge on your blade and don't wait till it is dull as a stick to sharpen it a lot of knives will fill your need. I use a sharpening steel every few days on my EDCs and they stay Very sharp with almost no effort.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I should ellaborate a little more. I've noticed the dulling a lot with work, but wrap and tape aren't my only planned uses. I carry it everywhere. I also take it on the boat for the potential crab pot snagging a prop or any other hazard out there. I've had my Kershaw for about 14 years. It was a groomsmen gift from a friend a long time ago. I tend to sharpen it every couple days, but the info you guys have put in here are showing the reason why its probably getting dull so easily. I do want something better and a box cutter type knife may prove difficult for the boating part of my knifes use. I'm going to definitely look into a few of the options you guys posted too.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    In general, the longer a cutting edge will maintain sharpness, the harder it is to put an edge on it when I gets dull; they just kind of go together. Knives go dull, I prefer ones that take just a few minutes to sharpen again

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just a note on all those razor knives (box cutters). They have been the #1 tool of my trade for the last 40 years(I wave many scars to prove it:o). They have their limitations. One being, you cant pry with them. There are plenty of other uses for folders that razor knives fall short of doing.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I should ellaborate a little more. I've noticed the dulling a lot with work, but wrap and tape aren't my only planned uses. I carry it everywhere. I also take it on the boat for the potential crab pot snagging a prop or any other hazard out there. I've had my Kershaw for about 14 years. It was a groomsmen gift from a friend a long time ago. I tend to sharpen it every couple days, but the info you guys have put in here are showing the reason why its probably getting dull so easily. I do want something better and a box cutter type knife may prove difficult for the boating part of my knifes use. I'm going to definitely look into a few of the options you guys posted too.

Boating = Spyderco Salt series, lots of knives to choose from, all are in H1 steel, and with the full spyderedge are awesome. The steel is odd, it is chemically rustproof, extremely tough, and is work hardened, not heat treated, so while the plain edge has very ordinary edge retention, the serrated performs like supersteel. The process involved in grinding serrations supposedly hardens it much more, and the serrations themselves use the edge to shear at angles instead of slicing along a plain edge, so they resist rolling and dulling, the steel doesn't chip.

I beat on mine, never dulls, just occasionally roll a serration or bend a tooth if I do something stupid. Have stropped it, and used a steel edge to straighten bent teeth, haven't needed to sharpen it in over a year since I got it, takes a high polish, and gets ridiculously sharp. It has outperformed my S110V manix2 in daily use, while that steel is insanely wear resistant, and has shown an ability to cut miles of cardboard without dulling, the edge is easily damaged with tiny micro-chips and rolls, and needs to be sharpened to repair it. In use it loses it's fine edge easily, but holds a mediocre edge forever. H1 will wear, but is so resistant to damage, and so easy to fix it ends up lasting longer in tough use, and holds a fine razor sharp polished edge.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Boating = Spyderco Salt series, lots of knives to choose from, all are in H1 steel, and with the full spyderedge are awesome. The steel is odd, it is chemically rustproof, extremely tough, and is work hardened, not heat treated, so while the plain edge has very ordinary edge retention, the serrated performs like supersteel. The process involved in grinding serrations supposedly hardens it much more, and the serrations themselves use the edge to shear at angles instead of slicing along a plain edge, so they resist rolling and dulling, the steel doesn't chip.

I beat on mine, never dulls, just occasionally roll a serration or bend a tooth if I do something stupid. Have stropped it, and used a steel edge to straighten bent teeth, haven't needed to sharpen it in over a year since I got it, takes a high polish, and gets ridiculously sharp. It has outperformed my S110V manix2 in daily use, while that steel is insanely wear resistant, and has shown an ability to cut miles of cardboard without dulling, the edge is easily damaged with tiny micro-chips and rolls, and needs to be sharpened to repair it. In use it loses it's fine edge easily, but holds a mediocre edge forever. H1 will wear, but is so resistant to damage, and so easy to fix it ends up lasting longer in tough use, and holds a fine razor sharp polished edge.

Thanks for the recommendation. That sounds like it would definitely fit the bill. I started looking around and hopefully I'll be picking something up soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom