• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Bubba's handiwork can sometimes be undone - sometimes not. Sometimes years of neglect can be fixed - sometimes not. Without details and/or pics it's all a mystery.

I encourage the OP to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. If he has a salvageable T-38, it'd be worth exploring options IMHO. They were on a par with (and better than) many other bolt action rifles of their day. Arisaka's have their place in history and they surely don't make 'em anymore.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    pics are incoming, i'm talking to him on the phone :D. He was digging all day today and he said the stock and sights are not original. The stock doesn't look like any of the other type 38 stocks and the sights are in english and yardage.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Been doing some more research. 3 different sites give 3 different specs
    Go figure!

For an obsolete WWII cartridge, that doesn't surprise me. The specs are within "spitting distance" of each other. That's no wonder since so few Japanese rifle and ammo production records and specs from the WWII era exist today. To a degree, it's a "close spec" from modern manufacturers of ammo.

Like most battle rifles of the era, the Arisaka rifle chambers were likely over-sized to accept any ammo from any arsenal in battle conditions (i.e. "pick a round up out of the mud a shoot it"). They weren't concerned at all about reloading the case as we are with these relics today.

If the rifle's action is sound, it could be possible to restore it to safe shooting condition. Even if it's never shootable, it's a relic that should be preserved and saved.

While I don't pretend to be an expert, I've restored a number of old rifles. With each, my main goal has been to give them back some of their original dignity - even if only for a little while.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    before I post this pics, let me give you a little bit of history behind this gun/weapon/firearm (did I cover every term for the armory correct readers?)

My Dad was not country (hillbilly) raised. At some point, he moved our family to the country (before I was born) but continued to work in the city (2.5 hours away). Eventually he was turned on to hunting to sustain the family (with a family of 10 kids, this was a no brainer). My Dad "borrowed" a rifle from a coworker for the upcoming deer season. It was a 6.5x50 Arisaka complete with ammo. My Dad, as well as some of my older brothers, used this gun for a couple of years. After my Dad went out on a limb and bought his own 30 ot 6, he decided to return the Arisaka to the owner but learned his co-worker had died and had no surviving relatives. The ammo had been shot up and eventually the gun became a Halloween prop (plenty of military uniforms from my brothers in Vietnam).

Move ahead 20-30 years. My Dad was "getting his things in order". One of these things was the Arisaka. He was going to throw it away but I asked him for it. So now I have it. It may not be pristine or original but it is one thing from my Dad.

Here it is. I've been told that this is a Savage stock. Don't know.

Based on the symbols, it appears that this was manufactured in the Nagoya arsenal

Attachments

• IMG00040-20100921-1753.jpg
      IMG00040-20100921-1753.jpg
      48.7 KB · Views: 73
    • IMG00041-20100921-1754.jpg
      IMG00041-20100921-1754.jpg
      88.7 KB · Views: 70
    • IMG00043-20100921-1800.jpg
      IMG00043-20100921-1800.jpg
      23 KB · Views: 76

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Lawrence,
    From the pics, what you seem to have there is a sporterized Arisaka. There's little likelihood it could be restored to it's original configuration without major expense. Many of the WWII "bring back" Arisaka's were sporterized for hunting rifles at the time. As a collector's item or restoration project it would have little value IMO.

Nonetheless, you have a terrific first hand family history of this particular rifle. If I were you I'd keep that alive.

From the looks of your pics, it may not be as difficult as you think to put it back into shooting condition. Add-on or cut-down stocks and aftermarket sights don't always alter the action and shoot-ability of an old relic.

Your rifle is not in its original configuration, but it is an heirloom. If it were mine, I'd clean it up and see if I could give it back a few more rounds at the range.

Thanks for sharing!

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Been doing some more research. 3 different sites give 3 different specs

Norma

6,5japari.gif

Italian War Site

Arisakadwg.jpg

and finally Wikipedia

Specifications
    Case type Semi-rimmed, bottlenecked
    Bullet diameter 6.705 mm (0.2640 in)
    Neck diameter 7.34 mm (0.289 in)
    Shoulder diameter 10.59 mm (0.417 in)
    Base diameter 11.35 mm (0.447 in)
    Rim diameter 11.84 mm (0.466 in)
    Rim thickness 1.143 mm (0.0450 in)
    Case length 50.39 mm (1.984 in)
    Overall length 75.69 mm (2.980 in)
    Primer type Large rifle

Go figure!

Just got my brass in that I bought off of gunbroker.com ($40 for 100 casings plus shipping). I could have got them new from http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12642 for $46 plus shipping but these appear unfired and unprimed. They are the same PRVI BRASS 6.5x50 JAP (6.5x51R) UNPRM 100/BAG. Here's the specs according to my own caliper:

Specifications

Neck diameter 6.85 mm (0.270 in)
    Shoulder diameter 10.23 (0.403 in)
    Base diameter 11.35 mm (0.447 in)
    Rim diameter 11.89 mm (0.468 in)
    Rim thickness 1.143 mm (0.0450 in)
    Case length 50.8 mm (2.000 in)

They appear to be in specs. Once I get the bullets and dies, it may be off the Scott's with a minimal load to see if this bessie will even fire without putting an eye out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom