• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I suck at shooting .45 with any accuracy. Probably grip thickness versus hand size. I'm a lot better with thin 9mm pistols. Then I go back to .357 Mag revolvers in most any frame size and shoot like a boss so there I stay.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Until two years ago I stuck with 9 mm, then I added .45's to the collection. In the last year I have added .40, .357 sig, and 10 mm. I don't feel undergunned with any of these calibers. What's most important to me is the platform. The handguns in my collection all operate the same, IMHO opinion it makes it easier to be proficient. I settled on Glock semi autos because I can pick any of them up and they feel very similar. I feel out of place with a DA or SA semi auto. Of course others like 1911's, Sigs, etc. and there is nothing wrong with that. I shoot and carry the 9 mm's most often, but also carry my G30s pretty often. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the calibers listed above but .357 sig and 10 mm are certainly more expensive to shoot regularly. In the 9 mm vs. .45 debate I normally lean toward capacity hence the carry of 9 mm's most often. Shoot whatever you enjoy the most. If you enjoy shooting a particular gun/caliber combo you will likely do so more often. In turn you will be more likely to place shots where they need to be placed to be effective. One shot of 9 mm to the chest will almost certainly be more effective than two shots of .45 to an extremity.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013

Yesss, yessss my young Padawan. Use the .45. Feel the pooower.

Palpatine.jpg

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    At one time or another... I have carried revolvers and or pistols in calibers .380, 9MM, .38, .357, .40, .45, and even the lowly .25 as a deep back-up to the .357...

I have read novels worth of text on the subject of which round is superior to another and for what ever reasons or opinions the writer of the tomes chose to present. What I have come to realize is that the key to every last one of them is two fold...

1) Can you reliably hit what you aim at where tunnel vision takes away nearly all of your peripheral vision in a stressful situation?

2) If #1 is answered in the affirmative... Can you point your weapon at another human being and pull the trigger on a live round with NO hesitation.

If the answer to either is in the negative... It will not matter if you are carrying a .177 BB or a .500 S&W Magnum.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    At one time or another... I have carried revolvers and or pistols in calibers .380, 9MM, .38, .357, .40, .45, and even the lowly .25 as a deep back-up to the .357...

I have read novels worth of text on the subject of which round is superior to another and for what ever reasons or opinions the writer of the tomes chose to present. What I have come to realize is that the key to every last one of them is two fold...

1) Can you reliably hit what you aim at where tunnel vision takes away nearly all of your peripheral vision in a stressful situation?

2) If #1 is answered in the affirmative... Can you point your weapon at another human being and pull the trigger on a live round with NO hesitation.

If the answer to either is in the negative... It will not matter if you are carrying a .177 BB or a .500 S&W Magnum.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    With a 9mm you can carry about twice as many rounds as a .45 - look at the G19 vs the 1911.

And since wolves and BLM thugs both travel in packs, you may prefer to have the extra rounds readily available. When it comes to ammo and bubblegum, you know the rule: Make sure you brought enough for everyone.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    With a 9mm you can carry about twice as many rounds as a .45 - look at the G19 vs the 1911.

And since wolves and BLM thugs both travel in packs, you may prefer to have the extra rounds readily available. When it comes to ammo and bubblegum, you know the rule: Make sure you brought enough for everyone.
    ISIS lone wolves tend to be well... Loners, but I still want lots of ammo so he can be sent to Allah looking like Swiss cheese.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The trauma guy at Shock Trauma said 2 of anything, even .22 beats one of whatever you think is best.

If you choose .45 ... make it an extended mag; otherwise, use the biggest std mag your gun comes with.

But what will keep him from shooting back?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Why compromise? Choose .40 instead! :D

Most of mine are 9mm: it's cheaper, it's effective in 147 grain +P, and it's universally adopted. I make exceptions for the venerable 1911 and am getting an HQL for a couple Glocks (.45 being one of them).

As others have said it doesn't matter how awesome your ammo is, if you can't hit what you're aiming for. If you can be fast and accurate with .357 Mag or 10mm, why not?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll see RoadDawg's list, subtract .40 , add 10mm,.41mag,.44spl, and.45 Colt , .32acp, and .32 S&W Long .

(As long as choose ammo ) I haven't had complaints about 9mm effectiveness since the '80s. Not going so far as to say 9mm is better than the best loads in .45acp , but reasonably good loads in each are plenty good, and largely overlap.

There are differences at the extremes of applications. For polymer subcompacts weighing less than 16oz, 9mm has advantage. If large critters are a possibility, .45 has advantage. For the 95% betwen the extremes it is matter of prefered individual pistol. Between my prefered 9mm and prefered .45acp , I'll grab either one at random.

Does that give me Confirmation NON-Bias ?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I'll see RoadDawg's list, subtract .40 , add 10mm,.41mag,.44spl, and.45 Colt , .32acp, and .32 S&W Long .

(As long as choose ammo ) I haven't had complaints about 9mm effectiveness since the '80s. Not going so far as to say 9mm is better than the best loads in .45acp , but reasonably good loads in each are plenty good, and largely overlap.

There are differences at the extremes of applications. For polymer subcompacts weighing less than 16oz, 9mm has advantage. If large critters are a possibility, .45 has advantage. For the 95% betwen the extremes it is matter of prefered individual pistol. Between my prefered 9mm and prefered .45acp , I'll grab either one at random.

Does that give me Confirmation NON-Bias ?

The all around best round is the one you use to save your life or the life of another innocent person. NON Bias... Confirmed... :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The argument that modern bullets perform better than older designs and make the 9mm fine, forget one thing. The same new bullet designs are available in 45 bullets, and they still start out 2mm bigger. :)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The argument that modern bullets perform better than older designs and make the 9mm fine, forget one thing. The same new bullet designs are available in 45 bullets, and they still start out 2mm bigger. :)

But it doesn't put any more .45 rounds in your mag.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    I used to be a .45 fanboi, but I find myself actually carrying a nine more and more often these days. I also find myself shooting nines more often, mainly due to the price combined with a lack of time for reloading.

It started with laziness, and do I really need to take a gun if I'm just going to xxxx? Probably not, but maybe take a small nine just in case. More of an ease and concealment issue than a capacity issue--similar or slightly reduced capacity in a much smaller package. For example, decide to leave the Officer's at home, don't put on the holster, but then decide to grab a PF9 (pocket holster) at the last minute. Nowadays I certainly don't feel undergunned with a nine.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I believe that much of this 9 vs 45 discussion has its roots from military discussions. The fact in the military is that 45 is absolutely better because they can't use hollow point ammo. Round nose 9mm just doesn't have much stopping power which has given the round a bit of a hurtle to overcome in the private sector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom