• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I had one bad experience at HTC I've never had at any other range. I was shooting a Sig 226 22lr. There was a casing that failed to eject stuck in the chamber. The 226 breaks down in a heart beat and as soon as I started was stopped. Everything was pointed down range etc.. So I explained the problem and since they wouldn't let me take it down, asked it they had a 22 rod to poke out the brass from muzzle end. I litterally wait near 10 minutes why the RSO keeps asking for a rod via talkie. Finally it comes , and naturally he had to be the one to remove it, would not let me. Well, he was not a finesse kind of guy and he'd just push the rod in , so the rod would get stuck in the casing. So then when removing the rod, it would just jam the casing back in to the barrel. He then pulls out freaking 3 or 4 inch tacticool folding knife and is about to dig out the round through ejection port of a pricey gun, when all the F I need to do was break it down. I stopped that quickly, packed up and left. Broke the gun down in the lot, took the casing out and drove away..

Literally had the same thing happen at Cresap a couple of years ago. Had an FTF using WWB 230gr FMJ that got so jammed in the breech of my P220 that I couldn't get it out. I dropped the magazine and started to field strip it when one of the RSO's came over to help. He was very apologetic. He told me that the rules stated no field-stripping of guns on the firing line but that he could assist with clearing the jam. He got a cleaning rod and pushed the defective round out. I appreciated it. No big deal. I asked him why and he said that for safety and liability purposes, only RSO's were allowed to disassemble firearms on the line.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are rso's trained armourers for every type of pistol ? Meaning I know how disassemble & reassemble all of my own, but my herd is eclectic enough the average Joe would know all of them . Meaning I don't want them monkeying with what they don't understand.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Wait. Wasn't your original post seeking 'annonymous' insight regarding what you perceived as high employee turnover at HTC? Deflecting into yet another sappy comparison between the two ranges doesn't escape the fact that you chose MDS (yet again) to be the venue for a product and/or service to bash. First Sig. Now HTC. Give us a break FFS. You lost any credibility you may have had (with me) with all the unsupported vitriol about the PVD finish 'problem' on your Sig Legion P226. Still waiting to see it, BTW.

Well, to contribute my $0.02, you seem to me to be over-reacting to the OP. I took it to be a simple request for information that could be sent via PM if someone wanted to keep the information private. I saw nothing to indicate he was bashing anyone, just a "what's going on?" question.

Find anyone on this board who thinks it's a terrible thing that we now have a choice of 3 (if you include Hendershots) very nice indoor ranges that we didn't have just a couple years ago.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Can you keep your own brass?

If not, I will NOT shoot there.
    Lol, already in the thread. Yes, you can keep your brass, but please DON'T shoot there. It's getting plenty crowded already, and I don't like to wait.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Lol, already in the thread. Yes, you can keep your brass, but please DON'T shoot there. It's getting plenty crowded already, and I don't like to wait.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've never had to wait there. They've never had more than one range in operation each time I've went. We did have to wait at TMG. HTC range I do like better but no kids as mentioned..

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Can you keep your own brass?

If not, I will NOT shoot there.
    Yep, they have even asked me if they could sweep my brass over to the person next to me.

While they were shooting the RSOs were sweeping, gathering, and bagging the brass for the guy. We were the only two people there so I'm sure they don't do that Everytime. Especially, if it's full.

They seem to hire good people there. Hopefully they start sticking around.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Well, to contribute my $0.02, you seem to me to be over-reacting to the OP. I took it to be a simple request for information that could be sent via PM if someone wanted to keep the information private. I saw nothing to indicate he was bashing anyone, just a "what's going on?" question.

Find anyone on this board who thinks it's a terrible thing that we now have a choice of 3 (if you include Hendershots) very nice indoor ranges that we didn't have just a couple years ago.

Thank you and I did get more information but will keep it to myself as it was in confidence.

ZZzzz has childish angst over me because I have ownership and knowledge of a firearm he doesn't. C'est la vie'. I've blocked him but saw his quote from your post.

I go on about 150 of these web forums to either gain knowledge or help pass it as that is the breath of life, in my opinion. They range from MDS to laying tile, to cars, flying airplanes, investment planning, to the workings of the Hadron Collider. Providing and accepting facts. Every once in a while someone doesn't like to accept data from other areas and engage in intellectual debate. So they name call and be childish. Sadly I allowed myself to be sucked in by this person in another thread. However, I have no time for that. So I'll just move on and continue to learn from those who wish to provide it and I'll do likewise with the knowledge I have.

I'm thankful for the gunsmiths on here who have offered knowledge to me about questions like changing out a trigger on guns I have and I'm glad to provide expertise on questions like the flight patterns of planes around BWI. The rest is nonsense and white noise.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    So......the mention of the LHC. I'm a biologist so hard physics is not my forte by any means but I do enjoy hearing about some of it. Have you listened to the TED talk by Garrett Lisi, "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything"? BTW, he's a very nervous speaker and reads his talk...he makes a big mistake twice regarding the LHC (you can hear an audience member correct him at one point) but I'm sure it's due to nerves. I think it's pretty cool how, by just extending things a bit further mathematically than what is currently known, everything falls into this amazing high order pattern.

https://www.ted.com/talks/garrett_lisi_on_his_theory_of_everything

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    Just a few comments from someone who shoots at Heritage semi-regularly ...

Absolutely! To be clear, I'm not in any way trying to make trouble or "pile on", as some have suggested that the OP was doing. I just found it an interesting conversation, and Heritage is definitely (for my tastes, and for what I want to get done) my least favorite of the area ranges to which I've been. Different strokes for different folks!

This is typical at commercial indoor shooting ranges with a broad clientele. Most won't allow holster work. That's great to hear it's an option at TMGN.

Interesting! On the MD side, I've only been to Heritage, TMGN, and MSAR, but in Virginia, Sharpshooters, Elite, Silver Eagle, Blue Ridge, and NRA all have no problem with holster work--no certification process required.

When I walk over to throw trash, I am again offered by the RSO to throw it away for me, and more often than not, I decline, although I appreciate the courtesy. I don't get bugged after that.

The night I was there, I was one of two people on the range, so maybe he was bored?

At one point, I tried to sneak to the trash can while he was sweeping brass. He literally sprinted across the range floor to intercept me and take the trash from my hands at the can. After that, I gave up; I just made a tiny stack of ammo boxes and handed it all to him when I was done.

That's awful. My Heritage training slide show took 10-12 minutes. Maybe things have changed.

To be fair, my group had a couple of questions (myself included, re: the holster policy and a few other things), so perhaps it was partially due to that.

You mentioned Silver Eagle. If near Manassas, Elite Shooting sports looks like it might be nice to check out.

I like Elite a lot! Silver Eagle is closer to my work, though, and (as far as I'm concerned, for the things I care about, standard disclaimers apply, yada yada) equally nice. The vibe at Silver Eagle seems a bit more focused on serious shooters, whereas the vibe at Elite seems more geared towards bringing in the non-shooting audience.

Despite the impression that might be given by my initial comments on the topic, I'm really not that hard to please. I enjoy Elite, Silver Eagle, Sharpshooters (in all its glorious, filthy skuldulgery), and NRA all very much. Blue Ridge is fine, but for the same cost (as a non-member) I can go somewhere that has programmable target carriers, so I typically do. MSAR is a little too sketch even for me, though my friend considers it a good excuse to practice with his plate carrier.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    I liked that Heritage has programmable targets, but no memberships? I just ended up going with TMGN, they have a much better business plan, they are not afraid to change things(adding holster draw and USPSA), and they have a great staff. They gained a lifetime customer in me because of it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Absolutely! To be clear, I'm not in any way trying to make trouble or "pile on", ...

On the MD side, I've only been to Heritage, TMGN, and MSAR, but in Virginia, Sharpshooters, Elite, Silver Eagle, Blue Ridge, and NRA all have no problem with holster work--no certification process required.

I like Elite a lot! Silver Eagle is closer to my work, though, and (as far as I'm concerned, for the things I care about, standard disclaimers apply, yada yada) equally nice. The vibe at Silver Eagle seems a bit more focused on serious shooters, whereas the vibe at Elite seems more geared towards bringing in the non-shooting audience.

Despite the impression that might be given by my initial comments on the topic, I'm really not that hard to please. I enjoy Elite, Silver Eagle, Sharpshooters (in all its glorious, filthy skuldulgery), and NRA all very much. Blue Ridge is fine, but for the same cost (as a non-member) I can go somewhere that has programmable target carriers, so I typically do. MSAR is a little too sketch even for me, though my friend considers it a good excuse to practice with his plate carrier.

Appreciate your feedback as well as sharing your different experiences! :thumbsup: I need to check out some of these VA ranges, just to have a broader sense of the different range management styles and facilities. I'm embarrassed to have not yet visited the NRA range.

I liked that Heritage has programmable targets, but no memberships? I just ended up going with TMGN, they have a much better business plan, they are not afraid to change things(adding holster draw and USPSA), and they have a great staff. They gained a lifetime customer in me because of it.

HTC added different membership options. This was possibly 6 months ago (?) so you may have missed.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Appreciate your feedback as well as sharing your different experiences! :thumbsup: I need to check out some of these VA ranges, just to have a broader sense of the different range management styles and facilities. I'm embarrassed to have not yet visited the NRA range.

HTC added different membership options. This was possibly 6 months ago (?) so you may have missed.

Hit me when you want to go. Holster is good to go there.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    So......the mention of the LHC. I'm a biologist so hard physics is not my forte by any means but I do enjoy hearing about some of it. Have you listened to the TED talk by Garrett Lisi, "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything"? BTW, he's a very nervous speaker and reads his talk...he makes a big mistake twice regarding the LHC (you can hear an audience member correct him at one point) but I'm sure it's due to nerves. I think it's pretty cool how, by just extending things a bit further mathematically than what is currently known, everything falls into this amazing high order pattern.

https://www.ted.com/talks/garrett_lisi_on_his_theory_of_everything
    My knowledge is laymen at best. A former co-worker of mine was part of Deserton and got to meet Leon Lederman. He was so excited about the prospects and enjoyed talking about it. You probably know the project was killed in the early 90's. It's a bit before my time but after researching particle accelerators he turned me on to one of the forums that primarily discusses the work in CERN. I'm strictly a lurker.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    What's the agenda? I'm not that smart but can use common sense to figure out a few guesses why any company I think has a high turnover rate. It really makes no sense me why this thread was created other than to cause drama?
    I started the thread because I spend a lot of money there and my favorite instructor left without notice. That is when I realized every other week there are some new RSOs. So I'm curious, as a member, I want to make sure the value I expected when I joined will continue through my contracted term of 1 year. Membership there is much more than just using a lane to shoot.

The only reason I joined there vs. the other place is the classes, instruction, and simulator work.

There is no agenda.

As I have stated, it is a fine place but turnover is high. If you just go to shoot then it probably doesn't matter. If you take classes and private instruction then it very much affects your dollar value.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I noticed something a little odd about the trash cans at the Dottrio event. One of them contained just the outer paper ammo box and IIRC the other one had the plastic/foam inserts. Maybe it's a recycling thing or they want to make sure there is no live ammo is accidentally thrown away?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I started the thread because I spend a lot of money there and my favorite instructor left without notice. That is when I realized every other week there are some new RSOs. So I'm curious, as a member, I want to make sure the value I expected when I joined will continue through my contracted term of 1 year. Membership there is much more than just using a lane to shoot.

The only reason I joined there vs. the other place is the classes, instruction, and simulator work.

There is no agenda.

As I have stated, it is a fine place but turnover is high. If you just go to shoot then it probably doesn't matter. If you take classes and private instruction then it very much affects your dollar value.

Yeah, I deleted my reply - thought I was being too much of a dick.

I have no interest in going there, or at any public shooting facility anywhere

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I noticed something a little odd about the trash cans at the Dottrio event. One of them contained just the outer paper ammo box and IIRC the other one had the plastic/foam inserts. Maybe it's a recycling thing or they want to make sure there is no live ammo is accidentally thrown away?

Funny you say that, as I always wondered why one said regular trash and the other cardboard. The targets and ammo boxes (cardboard and plastic) are both recyclable. Well, at least the plastic from Federal Premium are #4s so they are recyclable. Maybe some manufacturers use the numbers that aren't recyclable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom