• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The problem is that people keep presenting evidence compiled by experts and you keep up with the "I shot a cinder block" stuff.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    And here I spent years learning to hit my threat instead of a wall or anything else. Spray and pray in a bullet resistant environment? Sign me up!

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I bear you no ill will but for the record, this is why I've been a shooter for 15 years and only joined a shooting forum this year. The internet, I tell you what.
    I've got an idea. You could document your actual experience with pictures and/or video. Maybe you could set up a test box for holding materials and fire different cartridges at different media. Perhaps you could call it 'The Box of Truth', or something catchy.

It turns out someone did just that. His very first experiment was with drywall sheets and various rounds. Here's what he found:

22 lr 6 sheets using a pistol

He then decided to replace the drywall sheets with 3/4 inch ponderosa pine.

.22 Long Rifle (Wildcats) – 4 boards and bounced off 5th board.

9MM JHP (Federal) – 8 boards, bounced off 9th.

.45ACP (Federal Hydrashocks) – 7 boards, bounced off 8th.

I shot my 16″ AR with XM-193.

We don’t know how many boards it would have penetrated, as it was still moving after exiting the twelfth board.

His lessons learned at the end are always amusing (it's been years since I've visited his site).
    Lessons learned:

Sheetrock (drywall) doesn’t slow any round down much. If you shoot in the house, walls will not stop any serious round.
    Twelve pine boards will not stop a .223 round.
    Shooting stuff is fun.

The Box O’ Truth #1 – The Original Box O’ Truth

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've got an idea. You could document your actual experience with pictures and/or video. Maybe you could set up a test box for holding materials and fire different cartridges at different media. Perhaps you could call it 'The Box of Truth', or something catchy.

It turns out someone did just that. His very first experiment was with drywall sheets and various rounds. Here's what he found:

He then decided to replace the drywall sheets with 3/4 inch ponderosa pine.

His lessons learned at the end are always amusing (it's been years since I've visited his site).

The Box O’ Truth #1 – The Original Box O’ Truth

Fmj...yeah.

Heres a cinderblock test using basically the worst case for overpenetration, fmj and 855.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Fmj...yeah.
    You make a great point! He got a lot of 'fan mail' that asked him why he didn't use insulation between the sheet rock. So he did this 'The Box O’ Truth #12 – Insulated Walls' and used 9mm 40 and 45 JHP pistol rounds, and FMJ XM-193 5.56, and 12 gauge. He found that everything went through all of the walls except for the 5.56, which ended up deviating greatly from their original flight path.

Since he could not track the path of the 5.56 in this experiment, he made bigger walls and he tested different types of 5.56 ammo. His conclusion:
    When shooting rifles, walls are concealment, not cover.

The Box O’ Truth #14 – Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ...... The Rabbi said, "you don't understand. I draw the circles AFTER shooting.

:cool:

That and know when to quit. This is my first shot of the day @ 100 yards with my AR to verify that my scope was still sighted in...that's when you just unload and call it a day.

Attachments

• 11800570_10100728116226421_1567182481955939176_n.jpg
      11800570_10100728116226421_1567182481955939176_n.jpg
      81.9 KB · Views: 155

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    That and know when to quit. This is my first shot of the day @ 100 yards with my AR to verify that my scope was still sighted in...that's when you just unload and call it a day.
    Blaster wants to know if that target was moving or stationary? If it was moving, he wants to know which way and how fast?

He told me to ask since he doesn't want to risk being banned again.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You make a great point! He got a lot of 'fan mail' that asked him why he didn't use insulation between the sheet rock. So he did this 'The Box O’ Truth #12 – Insulated Walls' and used 9mm 40 and 45 JHP pistol rounds, and FMJ XM-193 5.56, and 12 gauge. He found that everything went through all of the walls except for the 5.56, which ended up deviating greatly from their original flight path.

Since he could not track the path of the 5.56 in this experiment, he made bigger walls and he tested different types of 5.56 ammo. His conclusion:

The Box O’ Truth #14 – Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls
    I moreso meant the 193 fmj. Things change quickly with ballistic tips and soft points.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Blaster wants to know if that target was moving or stationary? If it was moving, he wants to know which way and how fast?

He told me to ask since he doesn't want to risk being banned again.

It was stationary, but I was firing from an inverted 737 door with nightvision one-handed while restraining someone that was complaining about the drink size.

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    The problem is that people keep presenting evidence compiled by experts and you keep up with the "I shot a cinder block" stuff.
    I get that. I do. I tested it under the best conditions I knew how. Using the model of Box 'o' Truth and a few other YouTubers for ideas on how to minimize variables.

The ammo was high quality, the targets were stable, the wind and humidity was low, temperature probably in the high 60's.

I don't have a chrono, and I had no motivation to post it or share it at the time, and YouTube is flooded with caliber V caliber barrier tests. The test itself was enough work on its own, not to mention cost a few shekels.

I'm not mad at anyone. I'm a smart man with a comprehensive understanding of the scientific method, it was as controlled as it was going to get with the materials I had available.

Oh well, I'm over it. I made my choice for HD and I'm comfortable and proficient with it. The goal is indeed to hit the target you're aiming for. I just can't have an injured family member or bystander on my conscience without trying to minimize risk while maintaining deadly accuracy first. It's all worst case scenario.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Wow this was a Ping Pong Match from Hell...

All I know is all the "Tests" are controlled. Your "Battle Space" is very limited to maybe 5 to 15 feet tops in a Home environment...unless you live in a Huge House...

SO I look at it as having plenty of Rounds that are JHP/LE approved whether 380 to .50AE, clear fields of Fire...and defensive positioning points...and common sense...using Rifle Rounds in a Home sort of imo is a waste...your velocities are high and 556 wasn't developed for that scenario...and it is a small round to boot...

That's why 300 Blk evolved. A larger Round transfers more energy ie stopping power. That's why 762x39 is an effective urban round.

Plus it all goes by what is comfortable for you...then all else usually goes out the window...A plan is good but nothing you plan ever happens...JM2C

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Lol. I had a range day like that two weeks ago with my .243. Could cover the first mag at 100 yards with a quarter. And that's the point when I should have gone home.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Had a range day that actually ended like that.

Very first shot took out the rear washer holding one chain on the steel target. At 100 yards. The metal part was maybe 1/4" wide. The chain was hanging loose but untouched.

Nothing else to do but pack up and go home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom