• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Just got the B&T long mount in and it won't fit with the wide handguards. I want to keep the wide handguards on and guess I will have to remove some plastic to allow the mount to sit level.

Anyone have any ideas about:

#1) What tool to use to remove the necessary plastic? I've read it's soft but high quality plastic. I have a dremel but want some wiser souls input before I start hacking at these handguards. If dremel, which attachment would work best?

#2) How to best measure the amount of plastic to remove? I have some digital calipers and was thinking that would be a good start. Measure the gap at the front of the mount and remove less than that at the sides and test fit as I go.

7CLswCp.jpg

e5eVQ5j.jpg

Ix4o0dk.jpg

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I'd make some marks on the handguard using a knife and ruler just a bit shy of where I thought the cuts should be made. (leaving room for fitting) Then, I'd take the handguard off and make the cuts with a scroll saw or similar implement. Use files, dremel, or abrasive paper to fit and smooth. Happy modding! I wish I had been able to afford a PTR 91 before the ban. I settled for a PTR 32 afterwards.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Optics are awesome on a HK. Have a 1-4 on my 91 and makes plinking inside 300yds easy (as far as I've shot it.) My eyes are getting old so I like optics on everything now-a-days. Remember the factory issued lots of G3s w 4x Hensoldts.

You could machine the B&T mount thinner at the front. Those 'wings' hanging down really don't do anything.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    If you don't take the mount, 2SAM22, I'll buy that from deadpirate.

Have you thought about cutting down the mount, 2SAM and making it shorter or were you specifically needing a long mount?

My understanding of the long mount was that it gives a more secure attachment to the rifle over the short mount, and the short mount is out of stock everywhere at the moment.

Optics are awesome on a HK. Have a 1-4 on my 91 and makes plinking inside 300yds easy (as far as I've shot it.) My eyes are getting old so I like optics on everything now-a-days. Remember the factory issued lots of G3s w 4x Hensoldts.

You could machine the B&T mount thinner at the front. Those 'wings' hanging down really don't do anything.

Old eyes, yep. :thumbsup:

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I don't know how much money you are willing to drop on your rifle, but check out Investment Grade Firearms. They do a weld on scope mount. I had them do one on mine, along with a few other things.

It can get pricey but their work is great and their turnaround time for mine was within a few weeks.

http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I don't know how much money you are willing to drop on your rifle, but check out Investment Grade Firearms. They do a weld on scope mount. I had them do one on mine, along with a few other things.

It can get pricey but their work is great and their turnaround time for mine was within a few weeks.

http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/
    That was the route I was going to go but decided to try the B&T mount after hearing great things about them.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If it were me. Id leave your wide hand guard alone. Take your BT mount to someone with a Bridgeport and take off .05 on the bottom of the area that rubs. I cant see how it would or could hurt its mounting ability .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom