• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Only thing I'd have not eaten was the tenderloins. How gut shot would affect the front shoulder and rear quarters is beyond me. Or the back straps for that matter

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    Only thing I'd have not eaten was the tenderloins. How gut shot would affect the front shoulder and rear quarters is beyond me. Or the back straps for that matter
    I think when they lay overnight with a gutshot and no exit wound the gasses cause the deer to swell up(bloat) and it makes everything under the skin stink(spoil). I don't think the butcher did not need any more business....I think he was being honest with me about the meat. This was the only deer I have recovered and not consumed and if this happened alot I would quit hunting.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Well guys, I killed my first Deer this afternoon about 4:50 PM. When I got to my stand I found all my corn was eaten, no trace of it at all. I put more down and climbed up the ladder. I saw some Deer prints in the area but couldn't tell if the Deer had been eating it. The birds and squrriels were having a feast with the corn as I watched from 15' above and 10 yards or so over. Finally I hear a different type of leaf movement and then I see it coming out of the corner of my eye. My heart started beating so hard and loud that I was sure the Deer would hear it pounding on my chest. It walked right up to the corn and started feeding. Every once in a while it would stop and look in my direction towards the houses a couple hundred yards away. I thought it was a Doe and I was hopeing my first would be a nice buck so I watched it feed for about 5-10 minutes. For some reason it looked up at me and realized something didn't look right. It was getting nervous, turned and took a couple steps then stopped. Looked at me more and started stomping it hoof in the ground. At that point I decided I had to shoot before it ran off leaving me deerless after another hunt. I took my shot and it dropped dead where it stood. I shot a little high so it went through the spine. I'm around 15-16' up and he was about 12-15 yards away so it was a pretty downward angle. Never knew how hard it would be dragging that deer out of the woods going up hill at a decent angle for a 150 yards. my hand kept slipping off the leg. I think leather gloves will allow me to get a better grip. Anyway a buddy came over to show me field dressing and skinning. It's hanging in the inlaws garage right now and I'll butcher it tomorrow. Oh yeah, turned out it was a button buck.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Just a few tips

-gut before you drag
    -get yourself a drag rope with a handle
    -dont butcher that deer tomorrow, let it hang for a few days as long as the garage isn't heated.

Congrats on your first deer!

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    Congrats to you tdt91....It got your heart beating a lil fast uh? Wait til you see that big buck slowly sneaking to you.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    As long as it is real cold at night, the garage will stay cold all day, so you can hang the deer a couple days. I wouldn't hang it any longer though unless the temp never goes above about 36 degrees even mid day.

I once saw where a bunch of guys were hanging deer in a big garage for 2 weeks and the weather had been warmer than normal. They always hung the deer 2 weeks every season. It was getting a little "grody" in there. That was dog food. Speaking of dogs, I give them scraps and cut neck meat for them. These are the upper necks of deer I caped out. I remove the throat glands and cut the meat into 3 portions boneless, and 1 with the bones in. Each dog gets 1 ( 4 dogs). Yeah, raw. They love it and the most sick it makes them is a little gassy. They are outdoor dogs though, so no smelly dog farts wafting through the house.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well guys, I killed my first Deer this afternoon about 4:50 PM. When I got to my stand I found all my corn was eaten, no trace of it at all. I put more down and climbed up the ladder. I saw some Deer prints in the area but couldn't tell if the Deer had been eating it. The birds and squrriels were having a feast with the corn as I watched from 15' above and 10 yards or so over. Finally I hear a different type of leaf movement and then I see it coming out of the corner of my eye. My heart started beating so hard and loud that I was sure the Deer would hear it pounding on my chest. It walked right up to the corn and started feeding. Every once in a while it would stop and look in my direction towards the houses a couple hundred yards away. I thought it was a Doe and I was hopeing my first would be a nice buck so I watched it feed for about 5-10 minutes. For some reason it looked up at me and realized something didn't look right. It was getting nervous, turned and took a couple steps then stopped. Looked at me more and started stomping it hoof in the ground. At that point I decided I had to shoot before it ran off leaving me deerless after another hunt. I took my shot and it dropped dead where it stood. I shot a little high so it went through the spine. I'm around 15-16' up and he was about 12-15 yards away so it was a pretty downward angle. Never knew how hard it would be dragging that deer out of the woods going up hill at a decent angle for a 150 yards. my hand kept slipping off the leg. I think leather gloves will allow me to get a better grip. Anyway a buddy came over to show me field dressing and skinning. It's hanging in the inlaws garage right now and I'll butcher it tomorrow. Oh yeah, turned out it was a button buck.

congrats! It will be tender! nothing weighs more then dragging a dead deer out of the woods any distance...lol going down hill is nice up hill is a different story...you should get yourself a good game cart. They help immensly and the first time you use it...it will have paid for itself! at least thats what I thought!:D

Today's meat. About 100 yards, 5:04 pm, Lightfield 20 gauge "Hybred" Magnum sabot. Savage 220. Dressed at 102 pounds, minus the tenderloins.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354412399.903956.jpg

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Never knew how hard it would be dragging that deer out of the woods going up hill at a decent angle for a 150 yards. my hand kept slipping off the leg. I think leather gloves will allow me to get a better grip.

That's how I lost my first wedding ring....:o

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Heading out the door here soon to go set in a tree at the farm. My nephew is tagging alone this afternoon so hopefully we'll be dragging 2 out this evening. I built a Deer carrier 2 years ago, no more dragging for me, I'll just roll them out now. Good luck to those who go this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom