• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    They could smell that afterbirth a mile away. I have spotted two around my way but was unarmed both times-Mayland.

Get um if you can!!!!!!!

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Were atarting to have problems up here in Carroll with them. The sheep farmers have had a bunch of losses this year because of them..

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I'm in St. Mary's well. I've heard from the DNR that there are yotes in all 23 counties and B'more city. I've never seen or heard one down here but this seems to make me want to finalize my preparations for dealing with them. I've been laying in the tools, just NEED to sharpen them. :innocent0

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    I used to sit on my back deck and watch a pack (3-5) of them hunt rabbits and mice, it was a hoot. I'd see them creeping along in the field behind my parents house, and all of a sudden one, then two and then the bunch of them would jump straight up in the air and pounce on what ever moved. It was hilarious.

My Father, sister and I would walk down the dirt road that surrounded that field and every once and a while one or two of the coyotes would come out of the bushes and watch us. Eventually they would walk along side us a few times a month. We actually didn't have a problem with them, they helped keep the field mice out of our house.

BTW, this was in Kansas... and food for them was a plenty, our cat was an inside cat and our dogs were kind of large, so we had no reservations having the coyotes as our neighbors.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    (slightly off topic) THIS is why I love wilderness. That primeval feeling that comes when you know your spot on top of the food chain is in dispute.

Found myself in a staring contest with a grey wolf at 25 yards once. Learned 2 things.

1. Those things are HUGE
    2. A softball-size rock in your hand does not give you a warm fuzzy feeling that everything will be alright.

If I had been alone instead of with another person who was also yelling at it, I very well may have had a different story to tell.

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    There are definitely Coyote in the Bowie area, we see them every couple weeks or so. A friend shot and killed one in central Calvert last fall, it tried to kill his dog. Don't know about St Mary's but my suspicions are they are around. Watch those kids.

andy

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Met my neighbor from down the road at the feedstore today. Told him what happened and he said he saw one this morning in his field hopping along with a bum back leg.

If it's the same one I guess I did wing it afterall, not too bad for an adrenalin fueled 30+ yard snapshot at night :innocent0

If not I need some more range time.

The Mennonites at the store said they've been seeing more and more every year and have started to loose livestock.

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    Only ever saw one on the Shore. It was very early in the morning deer hunting and I saw it walking accross a field. Wasn't too concerned since I was holding a loaded shotgun at the time, so I thought it was kind of cool to finally see one, especailly after doubting other people talking about them.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    They are all over the place, saw one running down the street of our housing development in a suburban County a couple months ago. Here them barking from time to time.

I need to get a new HV pellet gun from Gamo to take care of these mothers. Silently

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    Really? Grew in coyote country and NEVER heard of an attack on a human.

I was actually speaking about the baby goats but there was a mauling over the weekend in Rye, NY. Apparently a 6 year old was attacked in the front yard of a suburban home and seriously hurt. FWIW

andy

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    I was actually speaking about the baby goats but there was a mauling over the weekend in Rye, NY. Apparently a 6 year old was attacked in the front yard of a suburban home and seriously hurt. FWIW

andy

Weird. I have never heard of that before. In AZ where there are LOTS of coyotes you hear them every night (even fairly deep in town), but you rarely see them. They avoid people like the plague. They snatch cats and puppies, but never people. Learn something new every day......

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    As they come back into regions that are densely populated, then just by continued close proximity to us they're going to lose their fear of humans. Large populations of predators in suburban neighborhoods with lots of small children = recipe for tragedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom