• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    My question has a little bit of a story, so please bear with me.

In December 08, I won an auction for a Sistema Colt. Had it shipped up to my local MD FFL, went in and filled out the obligatory paperwork and planned on waiting the obligatory 8 days. Six days into the eight day wait, the FFL dealer called me up and told me the MSP had a listing that the handgun was stolen.

I asked what would now happen, the FFL dealer was unsure. Since the firearm was from won from an out of state auction and I had followed all regulations I should be clear.

But this scenario has created several questions:

Will I ever get the handgun? (Doubtful, but I have to ask)
    If I don't get the handgun, do I have recourse to the auction house to refund my money?
    Currently going on approx. 20 days since I was told this info by the FFL dealer.

As a complication, I had two other firearms also waiting at the FFL dealer, no problems with them (to my knowledge). But they seem to be held up also due to the issue with stolen firearm. FFL Dealer has not received permission for me to retrieve the other two firearms.

Should the other two firearms be held up because of the one stolen firearm issue?

Is there anything I should do to resolve this logjam?

Appreciate any suggestions someone might have! Thanks,

cdstraw

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    This is new to me and probably most of us here. It would be great if you kept us updated on what happens so we can know what to tell the next person this may happen to.

Welcome to MDShooters.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    My question has a little bit of a story, so please bear with me.

In December 08, I won an auction for a Sistema Colt. Had it shipped up to my local MD FFL, went in and filled out the obligatory paperwork and planned on waiting the obligatory 8 days. Six days into the eight day wait, the FFL dealer called me up and told me the MSP had a listing that the handgun was stolen.

I asked what would now happen, the FFL dealer was unsure. Since the firearm was from won from an out of state auction and I had followed all regulations I should be clear.

But this scenario has created several questions:

Will I ever get the handgun? (Doubtful, but I have to ask)
    If I don't get the handgun, do I have recourse to the auction house to refund my money?
    Currently going on approx. 20 days since I was told this info by the FFL dealer.

As a complication, I had two other firearms also waiting at the FFL dealer, no problems with them (to my knowledge). But they seem to be held up also due to the issue with stolen firearm. FFL Dealer has not received permission for me to retrieve the other two firearms.

Should the other two firearms be held up because of the one stolen firearm issue?

Is there anything I should do to resolve this logjam?

Appreciate any suggestions someone might have! Thanks,

cdstraw
    Regulated Firearms, whenever reported stolen, are listed on many law enforcement lists. ( Federal, state, locale, etc. )

This delay will continue, until all lists are in agreement, that it is "No longer a stolen Firearm."

This can/has ) happen, with a dealer that was selling a collection. The "hold" is on the firearm paperwork, not the purchaser.

Been there, done that! :shrug:
    Took me about 30 days

cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    I have not contacted the auction house. My FFL dealer said I should wait until I hear from the MSP as to what will happen/I should do. At this point I have not heard from MSP. Which is what is dragging out this ordeal, IMHO.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Check with the auction house and see if there is a time limit on filing complaints? I would think the Police would want to know who sold this to you? Someone could be in trouble for receiving stolen property and I would do everything in my power to assist the police in clearing my name!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I can see why they might not want you to contact the seller (they may want to surprise him) but I would certainly find out if there are any time limits on filing a complaint.

cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    Update on handgun status

After 30 days my FFL dealer got clearance to give me my two other handguns. I picked them up this afternoon. Still no word from MSP on the possible stolen handgun that I tried to register.

FFL dealer said I should go ahead and contact the auction house that I won the possible stolen handgun from. If MSP has not contacted me by now, it would be reasonable for me to call and ask if MSP has contacted the auction house.

I'll post an update once I contact the auction house.

garber38

Custom tailored ionizer
    Dec 27, 2006
    Somewhere in PA.
    I would call the auction house as the paper trail has already been initiated. MSP know they shipped it, so now the investigation begins. Hope this works out well for you.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    a freind bought one at a local auction. went through the paper work and had the gun for 8 years. went to sell the gun later and of course the ran the numbers again. now it comes up stolen. he put a bit of money into it with grips, sights and trigger work. it has been confiscated. the owner that reclaimed it said it was exactly how he had it when stolen so my buddy is out the money for purchase and the accessoried. he has been getting the run around from MSP on what he can do about compensation. i told him to get a lawyer. any thoughts?

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    do think so, it had been a few years since he had the work done on the gun. the local auction house was also no help.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    a freind bought one at a local auction. went through the paper work and had the gun for 8 years. went to sell the gun later and of course the ran the numbers again. now it comes up stolen. he put a bit of money into it with grips, sights and trigger work. it has been confiscated. the owner that reclaimed it said it was exactly how he had it when stolen so my buddy is out the money for purchase and the accessoried. he has been getting the run around from MSP on what he can do about compensation. i told him to get a lawyer. any thoughts?

Statute of limitations? Did the former owner lose property rights due to age?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom