• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The Ti-rant 45M is 17-4 stainless , 7075 T7 aluminum, and Titanium . Full auto rated . For .22 , .380 , 9mm, 45 acp. I'm not familiar with the gem tech multi mount? But I can look it up.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Which one cleans better? Ti-rant or Gemtech Multimount? Stainless or aluminum parts?

I've no experience with the Gemtech, but the Ti-Rant disassembles and cleans easily. I clean it along with the firearm after every shoot.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The Multimount is 7075 T6 aluminum with a titanium blast baffle. Full auto rated for 9mm and beliw. Also rated for subsonic 300blk. ( minimum 7.5" barrel length for this)

Extremely easy to takedown, clean and reconfigure. There are mounts available for basically everything including 3 lug and 1/2x36.

Seems like the Multimount or Ti-rant would both be excellent choices.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The Multimount is 7075 T6 aluminum with a titanium blast baffle. Full auto rated for 9mm and beliw. Also rated for subsonic 300blk. ( minimum 7.5" barrel length for this)

Extremely easy to takedown, clean and reconfigure. There are mounts available for basically everything including 3 lug and 1/2x36.

Seems like the Multimount or Ti-rant would both be excellent choices.

That's gonna be my starting point. Thanks for all the input guys!

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a Multimount in jail, so I can't comment on cleaning yet. I did find the following video on it Don't forget the SiCo offerings. The octane is a good performer, stainless steel baffles and is serviceable.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    This, at this point I don't think a form 3 will clear before 41P takes effect.

If you don't have a .22 suppressor yet, get a user serviceable one. That can be used for .22.

I have a Gemtech Multimount and use it on 9mm carbines and pistols. Even after getting a .22 can, I still like to use it on .22 rifles. I recommend it highly. (If you can find one local)

OK, I admit I haven't been following the 41P thing and search has me all over creation. What does it mean in a nut shell if you already have a trust?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The Tirant 45 is 5oz heavier than the Multimount. 13oz vs 8oz. That means a lot on the end of a pistol.

Yes but the Ti-rant is 13 with the mount. The multimount.is 8 without the mount. So basically both with mount weigh about the same.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    OK, I admit I haven't been following the 41P thing and search has me all over creation. What does it mean in a nut shell if you already have a trust?

What I get out of it is that if you purchase something after July 13th 2016 you will have to provide finger prints and picture and I believe that's for everyone associated with the trust. There is a thread on here that should answer most questions.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I am thinking about an AR 15 9mm build (pistol/SBR). I want to suppress it. What do you like, what should I stay away from?

IPs, anything in stock? It would be great if I could skip the Form 3 wait time.

Thanks all.

I know that Free State has at least one (and I think more) SilencerCo Octane 9's in stock. I have one waiting on a Form 4 through them right now, and they've got another in the display case with some more in the safe. I was in there last Wednesday.

I was at Engage last Tuesday and they had a bunch of stuff in stock, but I don't remember specifics.

What I get out of it is that if you purchase something after July 13th 2016 you will have to provide finger prints and picture and I believe that's for everyone associated with the trust. There is a thread on here that should answer most questions.

Specifically, any "Responsible Person" will have to fill out a form 5320.23 and include a photo and fingerprint cards. All Responsible Persons will also have to notify their local CLEO.

A "Responsible Person" is defined as someone "who [has] the power and authority to direct the management and policies of the trust or legal entity to receive, possess, ship, transport, deliver, transfer, or otherwise dispose of a firearm for, or on behalf of, the trust or entity."

Each trust will differ as to who is a Responsible Person based on how it is written. My trust is through 199Trust.com, and only full Trustees fall under that definition. I am the only Trustee, so it would only be me who would have to do anything special. My wife is the Successor Trustee, but she has no legal powers in that role until I die, in which case she becomes a full Trustee, so she wouldn't be a "Responsible Person" unless that were to happen.

SilencerCo has a good summary of it:
    https://silencerco.com/blog/2016/02/11/buying-a-silencer-6-things-you-need-to-know-about-atf-41f/

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Can the suppressors that have been discussed (Gemtech Multimount, Ti-rant 45, and SilencerCo Octane 9) all be used with both pistol and rifle?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Can the suppressors that have been discussed (Gemtech Multimount, Ti-rant 45, and SilencerCo Octane 9) all be used with both pistol and rifle?

Only with certain limited rifle calibers.

Any of them can be used with most popular centerfire pistol calibers (assuming that the caliber of the bullet is not larger than the bore of the suppressor - i.e. you can shoot anything smaller than a .45 through the TiRant 45 or the Octane 45, but not through the TiRant 9 or Octane 9 - those you need a caliber smaller than 9mm).

They can all be used with rimfire calibers, but those are VERY dirty and gunk up a suppressor fast so most people buy a dedicated rimfire suppressor. With the "user serviceable" pistol suppressors this is less of an issue, but it's still nice to have a dedicated rimfire can according to many people.

For rifle calibers - most of these (the Octane and Multimount for certain, not sure on the Ti-Rant) will handle SUBSONIC .300BLK fine as well. Other rifle calibers (including supersonic .300BLK) tend to have pressures that create enough muzzle blast to damage a suppressor built for a pistol caliber.

This is all through research on my part, and not directly first hand. My very first suppressor is an Octane 9 that I bought from Free State back in Jaunuary, so it's still in their safe waiting on the Form 4 to be approved. I am now also waiting on a Form 3 for a Rugged Surge 7.62. Then the wait for that Form 4 will start...

My planning was basically thus:
    I bought the Octane first for two reasons. 1) because it was there, in stock, and I got a great deal, and 2) because it would allow me to suppress the most stuff - pistols, rimfire, and subsonic .300BLK while I waited for the process of buying the other cans to complete.

The next planned step was a rifle can, and then a rimfire can. The rifle can will be the Rugged Surge 7.62 as soon as the ATF gets off their collective behind, and I'm not holding my breath on that one. Then for a rimfire can I'm looking at either the SilencerCo Spectre II or the Dead Air Mask, and leaning a little toward the Dead Air. We'll see.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Any of them can be used with most popular centerfire pistol calibers (assuming that the caliber of the bullet is not larger than the bore of the suppressor - i.e. you can shoot anything smaller than a .45 through the TiRant 45 or the Octane 45, but not through the TiRant 9 or Octane 9 - those you need a caliber smaller than 9mm).

They can all be used with rimfire calibers, but those are VERY dirty and gunk up a suppressor fast so most people buy a dedicated rimfire suppressor. With the "user serviceable" pistol suppressors this is less of an issue, but it's still nice to have a dedicated rimfire can according to many people.

For rifle calibers - most of these (the Octane and Multimount for certain, not sure on the Ti-Rant) will handle SUBSONIC .300BLK fine as well. Other rifle calibers (including supersonic .300BLK) tend to have pressures that create enough muzzle blast to damage a suppressor built for a pistol caliber.

This is all through research on my part, and not directly first hand. My very first suppressor is an Octane 9 that I bought from Free State back in Jaunuary, so it's still in their safe waiting on the Form 4 to be approved. I am now also waiting on a Form 3 for a Rugged Surge 7.62. Then the wait for that Form 4 will start...

I bought the Octane first for two reasons. 1) because it was there, in stock, and I got a great deal, and 2) because it would allow me to suppress the most stuff - pistols, rimfire, and subsonic .300BLK while I waited for the process of buying the other cans to complete.

The next planned step was a rifle can, and then a rimfire can. The rifle can will be the Rugged Surge 7.62 as soon as the ATF gets off their collective behind, and I'm not holding my breath on that one. Then for a rimfire can I'm looking at either the SilencerCo Spectre II or the Dead Air Mask, and leaning a little toward the Dead Air. We'll see.

The Spectre ll was my first rimfire can. Really nice. I am waiting on approval for the Mask I bought in January.

They are both excellent choices.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

I have the YHM QD Phantom .556 and Sceptre .22 on order. Now I'm interested in covering the bases for 9mm, .45mm, and .300 -- both pistol and rifle for these. Would the Octane 9 or 45 be best? Or the Ti-rant9 or Gemtech Multimount. Likely can't go wrong with any of these. They sure are expensive though.

I do like the ones that will last and be cleanable for a long period off time. I think steel baffles last longer.

BTW, I just love the advice that all of you provide. Really informative. I hesitate to mention names, lest someone gets left out. Anyway, thanks!

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm somewhat in the same market and I'm waiting for the release of the Dead Air Ghost-M. It's going to be pricey, but it has some pretty epic features that might put it to the top.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I have the YHM QD Phantom .556 and Sceptre .22 on order. Now I'm interested in covering the bases for 9mm, .45mm, and .300 -- both pistol and rifle for these. Would the Octane 9 or 45 be best? Or the Ti-rant9 or Gemtech Multimount. Likely can't go wrong with any of these. They sure are expensive though.

I do like the ones that will last and be cleanable for a long period off time. I think steel baffles last longer.

BTW, I just love the advice that all of you provide. Really informative. I hesitate to mention names, lest someone gets left out. Anyway, thanks!

If you need to suppress .45 then the only one mentioned that will do it is the Octane 45. The Tirant 45 was mentioned earlier in this thread and was highly recommended.

I don't suppress .45 so I am not realy up on them. Good luck.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have the YHM QD Phantom .556 and Sceptre .22 on order.

Nice. That'll cover you for 5.56 and .22.

Now I'm interested in covering the bases for 9mm, .45mm, and .300 -- both pistol and rifle for these. Would the Octane 9 or 45 be best? Or the Ti-rant9 or Gemtech Multimount. Likely can't go wrong with any of these. They sure are expensive though.

Well, when choosing a suppressor, look at the largest caliber you're going to shoot through it. In your case, that's .45. That automatically rules out any of the 9mm cans, because the .45 cal bullets won't fit through that bore. So if you're looking at an Octane, it would have to be the Octane 45 (which is what I would have bought, except I got a great deal on the 9 and I don't shoot anything larger in pistols with any regularity any more). Likewise it would have to be a Ti-Rant 45 and not a Ti-Rant 9. The Gemtech Multimount is 9mm only I believe. Any of these will handle your pistol calibers, and .300BLK as long as it is subsonic only. If you want to suppress supersonic .300, you'll have to go to a rifle can.

Honestly, if I were starting from scratch on a pistol suppressor, I would be looking long and hard at the Rugged Obsidian. You can get them for $700 or so, they'll handle all of your calibers, they're built like an absolute tank, and they are modular. That is, you get the basic suppressor, but you can unscrew the last couple inches and take it off if you want a shorter / lighter can for some uses. Rugged is headed up by Henry Graham, who was one of the founders of SilencerCo and designed the Octane.

The other choice I might look at as an outside contender would be the SilencerCo hybrid, as it will handle just about anything, but it's getting into jack of all trades and master of none territory, as well as being not user serviceable.

Yes, steel baffles will last longer than Aluminum ones, and Stellite will last longer still.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I wasn't aware of it until today, ( but I'm sure some of you were) That AAC makes a 3 lug adapter for the Ti-rant 9, and 45, as well as the 45M so you can use it on a MP5. I have 1 on the way :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom