• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Wow - I have a GB and do not have any problems with it. I need to dig it up and see how it shoots. Have not shot it in years.

Maybe I just had a bad one? There's no denying the GB's coolness-factor but the weight, trigger and stuff flying into my face was ultimately a deal-breaker.

LONGSHOT

May 7, 2011
    ABERDEEN,HARFORD

I've owned the S9A1 and the M9A1 (grey market version) - these are really nice, if under-appreciated guns. As for the funky trapezoidal sights, I actually was very fond of them. In fact, the only negative I can give the Steyr S/C/M/L-series guns is the lack of after-market accessories.

those sights have been available for years.ihave a set on a glock,made by ATPS,advantage pyrramide sight

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    5ZPVJTn.jpg

50 rounds, Geco 124gr FMJ @ 10 yards, standing offhand

Based on the reviews and the videos, I knew the L9A1 was going to be a good choice for my first striker-fired pistol and it did not disappoint today. The combination of trigger-pull, grip angle and low bore-axis makes it easy to shoot reasonably well. I thought I wouldn't care for the odd, trapezoidal sights. Not true. They're great and only took about 25 rounds to really figure-out how they worked. Great pistol. I couldn't give it a higher recommendation to anyone seeking either a viable Glock-alternative or something just a little different.

The quest for a polymer framed striker-fired pistol started a couple of years ago when I fired a friend's Glock 23. I'm not a fan of .40 but I'll have to admit that a Glock was not what I expected and it permanently cured me of any contempt I may have had at one time for polymer guns. To call it an epiphany wouldn't be too far from the truth. I knew I would eventually get one.

Last year around this time, I was picking-up a gun at 2A when I saw the L9A1 and C9A1 in-person for the first time. Damn they was ugly! I didn't even know what they were, at first, but the design was so off-putting that it had to have some other redeeming qualities because looks wasn't one of them. When Tom told me it was a Steyr it didn't surprise me one bit. I think that thin Alpine air in Tyrolea may have something to do with such hideous handguns of Austrian descent.

Thanks again for trading it in, DP. It found a good home. With a little more range time and some experimenting with different factory loads, I could see the L9A1 easily becoming a viable contender in the Field Pistol class of IHMSA. My first 10 yard target may not be an indication of it but the pistol is completely capable even if the shooter isn't quite yet.

JVCCYsy.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ... When Tom told me it was a Steyr it didn't surprise me one bit. I think that thin Alpine air in Tyrolea may have something to do with such hideous handguns of Austrian descent. ...

I dunno. The look has been growing on me. Like the Glock, it's distinctive and functional - and perhaps it will also be iconic of Steyrs in the future. But form following function can sometimes achieve elegance. Maybe our sense of what a gun should look like makes us reluctant to accept change. It's certainly not as extreme as a Chiappa Rhino, and I would argue better looking than my Walther PPQ.

Speaking of the Walther, what's the trigger and the reset like in the Steyr? Will also be interesting to compare to the CZ P10c when it's available.

(and nice shooting, btw :thumbsup: )

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I dunno. The look has been growing on me. Like the Glock, it's distinctive and functional - and perhaps it will also be iconic of Steyrs in the future. But form following function can sometimes achieve elegance. Maybe our sense of what a gun should look like makes us reluctant to accept change. It's certainly not as extreme as a Chiappa Rhino, and I would argue better looking than my Walther PPQ.

Speaking of the Walther, what's the trigger and the reset like in the Steyr? Will also be interesting to compare to the CZ P10c when it's available.

(and nice shooting, btw :thumbsup: )

Thanks! Fast Forward to 6:42 and you'll see a good demo of the trigger:

There isn't much I can criticize about the L9A1. The lack of after-market parts and accessories and a somewhat limited selection of holsters would be about the only things.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    That is a great deal, even cheaper if you go with the forty.

I have an early-ish M9-A1 and while the trigger was fine, it would bind every so often and result in lots of creep. It was attributed to a part that I can't remember what its called, but BT "Big Taco" sold a replacement that smoothed everything. Not sure if this was addressed in newer models.

Steyr is now selling these pistols with a threaded barrel. If gunprime sells the threaded version for even $100 more I might go for it.

Funny that I just posted in Steyr Club for the first time in years and then see this thread here. I am a big fan of these guns and while I can sell any Glock I have, will hang on to this Steyr.

Anyone shoot the L9 suppressed yet?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a L9 with a threaded barrel. And I have shot it suppressed. I have a AAC ti rant 45M I have used on it. I only have about 150 to 200 rounds threw the gun so far. No trigger issue's what so ever. It's got to be 1 of the best striker fire triggers out there. The gun shoots great suppressed. I do get a occasional where the slide doesn't completely go In battery, and won't fire the round when suppressed.I chalk it up to both I haven't put enough rds threw it yet. And the fact the ti rant 45M is a rather long and heavy unit. Also I'm shooting 115 grain ammo. I will be trying 147 next time out. This gun is so much nicer than some of the other striker fire 1s that I own. I love the way it shoots!!!

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Found mine threw Birmingham pistol. Only place I could find 1 with a threaded barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom