• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

....and today President Obama announced that the one remaining US military vessel on the East Coast would be more than sufficient to protect Americans from any threat posed by the new fleet of Iranian nuclear launch submarines.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    i would go with something a bit more powerful and hard hitting than a shotgun... keep the shotgun still for when things get hairy but you dont want to wait the get them in range of shotgun distance..

like the other guy said, a stainless mini 14 with some incendiary rounds, fmjs, and soft points loaded up into a couple mags should be way better.

but to your question, i would stack it with 000 buck and soft point sabots or solid slugs

phillywilly

May 30, 2008
    Germantown
    seems like one of those 37mm "flare" launchers could be of use. seems I have seen a rail mount model for about 300$ some place. they may think twice if they thought he had a grenade launcher. Last thought from what I heard he would be going up against ak's, not something I would want to do with a shotgun. maybe a marlin 1895gs with garret solids if they kill elephants i am guessing they will make an outboard stop running for a bit. If they close to shot gun range then switch.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I wonder if someone makes a saboted dart. I bet than would stay accurate without rifling and tear right through fiberglass hulls too.

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__18/Specialized_Shotshell_Ammuniti/specialized_shotshell_ammuniti.html

"12 GAUGE FLECHETTE
    A FLECHETTE IS A 1 INCH DART SHAPED PROJECTILE FOR USE IN TAKING OUT SNIPERS HIDING IN THICK BRUSH OR TREES. DUE TO THE PENETRATION OF THESE PROJECTILES, TREE LIMBS AND BRUSH WILL NOT DISPERSE THE DARTS AS READILY AS ROUND SHOT. THEY WILL GIVE AN ALL COVERING PATTERN WITHIN TREES OR BRUSH. NOT INTENDED FOR HUNTING. THESE WERE UTILIZED DURING THE VIET-NAM ERA, OFTEN REFERRED TO AS THE "BEEHIVE" ROUND."

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__18/Specialized_Shotshell_Ammuniti/specialized_shotshell_ammuniti.html

"12 GAUGE FLECHETTE
    A FLECHETTE IS A 1 INCH DART SHAPED PROJECTILE FOR USE IN TAKING OUT SNIPERS HIDING IN THICK BRUSH OR TREES. DUE TO THE PENETRATION OF THESE PROJECTILES, TREE LIMBS AND BRUSH WILL NOT DISPERSE THE DARTS AS READILY AS ROUND SHOT. THEY WILL GIVE AN ALL COVERING PATTERN WITHIN TREES OR BRUSH. NOT INTENDED FOR HUNTING. THESE WERE UTILIZED DURING THE VIET-NAM ERA, OFTEN REFERRED TO AS THE "BEEHIVE" ROUND."

NOt what I meant really. I meant a single dart in a sabot that weighrs maybe 3/4 of an ounce or more.

By the way, I bought those once and tried one out on some paper at short distances. About half hit either sideways or keyholed. Half the flechettes are loaded in there backwards and by the time they turn around the all metal darts probaby lose enough energy due to wind resistance to have much effect IMO.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    seems like one of those 37mm "flare" launchers could be of use. seems I have seen a rail mount model for about 300$ some place. they may think twice if they thought he had a grenade launcher. Last thought from what I heard he would be going up against ak's, not something I would want to do with a shotgun. maybe a marlin 1895gs with garret solids if they kill elephants i am guessing they will make an outboard stop running for a bit. If they close to shot gun range then switch.

using a 37mm flare launcher in anti-personnel situations, even in legitimate self defense situations will make your launcher a DD which is highly illegal if its not registered as such.

Rather be tried by 12 rather than carried by 6 and all that, but really its not exactly the best solution anyway so it just adds to the strikes against it.

I'd stick to the Shotgun with 00 or 000 and a stainless .357 for backup/covering yourself to the shotgun.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    what you must do first is understand your enemy before choosing a weapon to fight them...yes pirates. pirates are a democratic bunch that tends to vote for the most capable person to lead them through various hijinks. some say tru democracy originated aboard pirate ships. why would you want to kill the pirates? nooooo. the best response is to be such a good pirate yourself that they instantly boot their leader and elect you to be their new captain without a shot being fired...welll..they're pirates soo probably at least one shot will be fired in the process. as for your choice in weapon? nothing screams pirate like a good old fashioned blunderbuss of some type.
    blunderbuss.jpg
    remember to wear some kind of large tricorn and just one gun isnt enough...you should drape at least a dozen over your shoulders roped together through the trigger guards. image is important and i can't emphasize enough that you must look slightly nuts. you can achieve this look by weaving lit matches into your beard, screaming frequently various means of dismemberment or pledging allegiance to obama. now many believe you must constantly be smashed on rum or the more popular grog. this will enhance your pain tolerance but will greatly reduce split second decision making and coordination, necessary for the sea-battles on a tossing ship. the most successful pirates, such as bartholomew roberts, were actually tea-toddlers. if you are able to pull it off, not only will you not be dead and robbed, but you may find yourself a captain aboard your own ship.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    using a 37mm flare launcher in anti-personnel situations, even in legitimate self defense situations will make your launcher a DD which is highly illegal if its not registered as such.

Rather be tried by 12 rather than carried by 6 and all that, but really its not exactly the best solution anyway so it just adds to the strikes against it.

I'd stick to the Shotgun with 00 or 000 and a stainless .357 for backup/covering yourself to the shotgun.

How about an 8 gage or a 4 bore then? :D

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    NOt what I meant really. I meant a single dart in a sabot that weighrs maybe 3/4 of an ounce or more.

By the way, I bought those once and tried one out on some paper at short distances. About half hit either sideways or keyholed. Half the flechettes are loaded in there backwards and by the time they turn around the all metal darts probaby lose enough energy due to wind resistance to have much effect IMO.

Have you tried most of these types of "specialty rounds"? Are most of the BS?

I've alway been curious if they work as well as claimed.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Have you tried most of these types of "specialty rounds"? Are most of the BS?

I've alway been curious if they work as well as claimed.
    The "bolo" is bogus for what it claims. The two flat slugs might be devastating at short distances, the odds of ensuring a hit is not preferable for home defense IMO.
    I took one apart and the wire connecting them came right off. When I shot one it seems the wire did not keep them together (they were something like twelve inches apart when they hit) and neither slug hit anywhere near center of aim.

The flechette was interesting, but that's it. I can see it haveing some purpose for something, but not home defense. There is a hi tech flechette round out there though that seems promising, but the Vietnam era technology was a bust.

The Dragon's Breath round....well, I guess you saw the video of me shooting one off at the frostbite shoot.

I also bought the "Pitbull" and "Terminator" slug shot combo shells. The Pitbull is a rifled, hollow based slug and a few buckshot and the Terminator is a slug and a dozen pellets of smaller shot.
    Don't know how well they work because I never fired them, but I see no reason why they would not be excellent for home defense.
    I would have saved a lot of money if I just bought a five dollar box of five remington slugs though because they do not seem like they would be that much better if they are.

I also bought some of thier "super" flares which I have yet to shoot.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I'll bring them to the next MDShooters shoot if I remember and we'll see what they do.

how many do you have? I'd like to see them at a couple of distances... like 10 and 25 yards or some such.

we should use some 00 as a control group too so we can compare from the same barrel/choke.

Some Box of Truth Sh*t up in here!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    how many do you have? I'd like to see them at a couple of distances... like 10 and 25 yards or some such.

we should use some 00 as a control group too so we can compare from the same barrel/choke.

Some Box of Truth Sh*t up in here!
    Just looking this thread up for another reason and just now saw your post.

I think I have three or four of each kind, but I can't remember if I pulled one of each apart or not.
    I am all up for testing them. It would be awesome if we had some gel though.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom