• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    whats going to happen I fear is that there will be receprocity, but a MD resident would have to get a MD CC permit to carry in MD. Va resident to carry in MD requires Va permit.
    MD would only be able to carry in the other states if he/she has MD permit. In the end, we get left out. That's what I fear would happen.
    I prefer licensed 1A permits with training requirement and a squeaky clean record. (flame me now)

FIFY. Makes about as much sense.

ddestruel

Jun 23, 2015
    Id like to see this bill also protect owners of weapons from state restrictions on possession of those weapons

for example possession of a semi automatic AR15 should not be subject to state configuration restrictions, or possession of a standard capacity magazine should not be subject to confiscation or criminal prosecution. possession of a knife already legally owned and not used in a criminal act should be no different than transporting any other legally owned product, if you arent going to resell it and you intend to retain ownership then i am curious how the state can claim to be able to further regulate it just because you've crossed their line. this would be like CA requiring all visitors of their state to drive a CA smog compliant car or obtain a smog certificate before entry otherwise they'll confiscate your car and prosecute you for polluting the air. .

Concealed carry and travel/ transportation of private property, components, ammunition and weapons not otherwise regulated by the NFA should not be subject to interstate import restrictions if not for commercial sale.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Yeah there is zero chance the MGA makes this state shall issue over this. The more likely outcome would be for the Attorney General to join a lawsuit against it and as that will likely drag out for many years they will hope they get back to power and can repeal it before they are ever forced into anything.

Even if the MGA had a group brain fart and affirmed the technical "shall issue" status of this state, the MSP would still strangle any execution with bureaucratic procedures at birth.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Id like to see this bill also protect owners of weapons from state restrictions on possession of those weapons

for example possession of a semi automatic AR15 should not be subject to state configuration restrictions, or possession of a standard capacity magazine should not be subject to confiscation or criminal prosecution. possession of a knife already legally owned and not used in a criminal act should be no different than transporting any other legally owned product, if you arent going to resell it and you intend to retain ownership then i am curious how the state can claim to be able to further regulate it just because you've crossed their line. this would be like CA requiring all visitors of their state to drive a CA smog compliant car or obtain a smog certificate before entry otherwise they'll confiscate your car and prosecute you for polluting the air. .

Concealed carry and travel/ transportation of private property, components, ammunition and weapons not otherwise regulated by the NFA should not be subject to interstate import restrictions if not for commercial sale.

You may have just given them an idea for a new law. There's money to be made and power over others to be gained by selling "emissions waivers" to yokels, er, visitors.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Two Reasons:

1.) Most people in MD aren't used to seeing guns being carried. When people start seeing it, and more importantly, when it goes on the news that "PA resident shoots car jacker" it's going to be hard for the GA to say to a MD resident, "Sorry, not you."

2.) Many people believe what they see, and many people don't have the means to travel far. They see only the gang bangers carrying guns in their neighborhoods. They've never experienced being with people legally carrying, and once they realize that people with permits don't shoot each other over someone looking at someone wrong, they may come around.

You would be able to carry in all 50 states through your FL resident permit.

Non-Resident permits might still exist, for those who live in the Northeast+CA.

Fla permits ,at least mine, don't say non resident on them. I live here but I have a Fla permit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The restrictive states will cry if they are required to allow their own residents to carry on another states permit. 10A complaints will happen immediately.

Non resident permit recognition would probably be left up to the individual states, as it is now

National reciprocity means just that. A state must recognize the permits of other states issued to other states residents.

It will be intersting to see how MD reacts to this coming law.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    I know people aren't generally fond of a Federal license, but adding that as an additional option to carry on, for those of us who live in slave states, seems to be the most expedient way to avoid 10A issues.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    12 ... who is carrying a valid identification docu
    13 ment containing a photograph of the person, and who is
    14 carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant
    15 to the law of a State and which permits the person to
    16 carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a con
    17 cealed firearm in the State in which the person resides,
    18 may possess or carry a concealed handgun
    (other than a
    19 machinegun or destructive device)

Trying to understand the ANDs and ORs

who is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State

AND
    {
    1 - who is carrying a valid license or permit which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm

OR

2 - is entitled to carry a concealed firearm in the State in which the person resides
    }
    may possess or carry a concealed handgun

The other interpretation
    {
    1 - who is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State

AND

2 - who is carrying a valid license or permit which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm
    }
    OR

is entitled to carry a concealed firearm in the State in which the person resides

may possess or carry a concealed handgun

Both seem to suggest that we would be able to carry in MD with UT or VA non-resident permit

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I know people aren't generally fond of a Federal license, but adding that as an additional option to carry on, for those of us who live in slave states, seems to be the most expedient way to avoid 10A issues.

The problem with a Federal license is what can be given can then be taken away.

Last edited:

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    If this bill passes, could the 14th amendment's equal protection clause be used to force MD to go shall issue? I guess not, as long as MD could argue that they do have a process in place...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    whats going to happen I fear is that there will be receprocity, but a MD resident would have to get a MD CC permit to carry in MD. Va resident to carry in MD requires Va permit.
    MD would only be able to carry in the other states if he/she has MD permit. In the end, we get left out. That's what I fear would happen.
    I prefer licensed CC permits with training requirement and a squeaky clean record. (flame me now)

The other states will not take the time to change their laws about reciprocity.

So things will be the same, unless you have a resident permit, then it would be legal in any state.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What stops us from

A buying a 1 acre lot in another state and saying that is our state of residence

B just get a p.o box in another state?

Because there are laws on what constitutes residency. Mainly so the state can get taxes out of you.

You would need to reside for more than 180 days per your in your PO box. :D

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only state that I am aware of that allows you to claim residency based on taxes is SC, and this is for qualifying for a SC permit only.

SC does not issue NR permits.

Attachments

• Non-Resident CWP Permit Form.doc
      38.5 KB · Views: 70

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    What stops us from

A buying a 1 acre lot in another state and saying that is our state of residence

B just get a p.o box in another state?

Many Tax free states have residents like that.. also for college tuition. There are rules, and a PO Box will not cut mustard. You need an actual domicile and pretty much be in that state at least 181 days a year.

So can this Bill be passed with 51 votes? If it needs 60, I don't see any Dem going along

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If this bill passes, could the 14th amendment's equal protection clause be used to force MD to go shall issue? I guess not, as long as MD could argue that they do have a process in place...

I am not an attorney but the 10A says things that are not a specific enumerated power to the Federal govt. are reserved to the states

CCW licensing is not an enumerated power.

I doubt that would fly,

but IANAL or Brooklyn

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I would much rather see a 2A recognition act where open carry is a recognized as a right not to be infringed, no permit required. At that point every state will rush to grant concealed carry permits and/or reciprocity.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    National Reciprocity will cause less upheaval from the antis. They wll scream blood in the streets..Perhaps National Reciprocity first, then OC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom