• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Actually, since plaintiffs won,they get Section 1988 fees. And if we get a 4-4 split, then plaintiffs get fees for the Supreme Court time too. The bill to DC will be rather substantial. So costs will not be an issue in a 4-4 vote. Alan Gura can walk and chew gum at the same time, so he can manage this.

Huh. Didn't know that.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    If I were a betting man I would certainly put money on the anti-2A crowd prevailing on DC to not seek cert because of the risks involved.

And, truly, why should they? They have enough leeway for T,P,M restrictions that legal carry in DC will be next to impossible anyway. I'm sure that's an argument that Bloomberg, Frosh, Feinstein et al are making.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    “Really it’s the fate of the whole country you have in your hands when you’re making this call,” Frosh said. “You want to protect the people of D.C., but you don’t want to make bad law for the rest of the country.”

So says the expert of making bad law. Apparently he failed to notice how many states have that nasty Shall-Issue stuff on the books.

Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    If I were a betting man I would certainly put money on the anti-2A crowd prevailing on DC to not seek cert because of the risks involved.

Concur. DC can't lose anymore. Seeking cert is a "free" bite of the apple.

And, truly, why should they? They have enough leeway for T,P,M restrictions that legal carry in DC will be next to impossible anyway.

Perhaps. But if DC saw that as a solution, would not TPM restrictions already be in place?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This has been my point. The law already stipulates T, P and M as as a reflection of DC's philosophy on carry.

Any attempt to add additional restrictions after a loss in court could be viewed as an an attempt at retaliation or further infringement on the right in an attempt to avoid the court's mandate.and most assuredly end in another lawsuit.

If DC intends to tighten their laws, they better have a better reason beside "we lost."

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    As I did after Palmer was decided, I will wait for DC to finally either win or lose this thing and then we will not have to game possible outcomes or permit scenarios

YMMV

:thumbsup:

Looking at another thread with restrictions on time & place, looks more to be a wallet trinket anyway..

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    If I had reason to go into DC regularly, I'd get one just to be safe from their ammo possession law. Wouldn't want to become prohibited by getting caught with a spent casing.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    there are plenty of places in DC like residential areas where you could carry. DC is a lot more than just the Federal enclave downtown

While many of us only go downtown, there are plenty of people who live and work in DC and seldom go downtown.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This is a really stupid question.

If DC chooses not to petition for cert, can the prevailing party (e.g. Wrenn) petition for cert?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    IANAL, but on what grounds? Their position was affirmed bu the DC Circuit.

That is why the question was asked.

Possibly because the law was based on Maryland, New York, and California. Someone smarter than I might be able to think up a harm.

I admit, it is an unconventional way to get to the top for a national standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom