• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you are still looking, I'd try Del-Ton. I had a similar problem trying to find an HBAR upper. On their site, you can order a custom HBAR upper (advertised as a Heavy Barrel), and subtract components if you already have them. I finished off a Spike's lower, and I couldn't be happier with it.

http://www.del-ton.com/ar_15_barrels_s/4.htm

United Gun Shop in Rockville(and an IP here) carries those IIRC.

Gun Met

07 FFL / 02 SOT
    Nov 1, 2015
    Personally, I like the fact we have no true definition of HBAR. This allows people to advertise different configurations which may be HBAR to that specific company, thus giving the consumer more choices.

hoythunter

Dec 8, 2015
    Harford County
    I am very interested in the Faxon barrels, but am concerned about the fluting causing issues with the MSP. I've read a number of threads on here (and elsewhere) regarding fluting and get mixed signals. Some say it is ok, others say no, others say yes but the fluting can't be too deep. Have I missed a thread that offers better or definitive advice?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I am very interested in the Faxon barrels, but am concerned about the fluting causing issues with the MSP. I've read a number of threads on here (and elsewhere) regarding fluting and get mixed signals. Some say it is ok, others say no, others say yes but the fluting can't be too deep. Have I missed a thread that offers better or definitive advice?

There is no legal precedent regarding fluting. Proceed at your own risk and comfort level.

I has fluting.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Every shred of HBARness revolves around undetermined diameter measurements taken from here or there on the barrel to somewhere around that part of the barrel.

Super scientific.

Fluting has no impact on diameters and HBARness has never been a weight thing.

Flute away.

Feb 28, 2013
    Every shred of HBARness revolves around undetermined diameter measurements taken from here or there on the barrel to somewhere around that part of the barrel.

Super scientific.

Flute away.
    OD seems to be what they go by, so flutin' shouldn't affect that at all.

timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    I'm looking to finally complete my AR build and have been on the market for a decent upper with my limited budget. I came across this one from PSA that looks Ok. Problem is I'm not sure if it's compliant with MD laws. I called PSA and they said it's considered a heavy barrel but it's not stamped at all on the barrel.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...1-7-11-sqr-free-float-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html

Before I buy, can anyone tell me if this is legal to own?

Stag Arms has a nice site and selection where you choose the HBAR spec in the options.
    Prices are not bad either.

https://www.stagarms.com/ar15-upper-halves/

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012

Super scientific.

Flute away.

At a recent MSP seminar, hosted by the Troopers who actually make the determinations as to what is a HBAR and what isn't, they said if it is stamped HBAR, it is an HBAR, regardless of actual diameter.

Of course, as we know, things and opinions up there change like the weather.

mrgnstrn

Mar 18, 2014
    At a recent MSP seminar, hosted by the Troopers who actually make the determinations as to what is a HBAR and what isn't, they said if it is stamped HBAR, it is an HBAR, regardless of actual diameter.

Of course, as we know, things and opinions up there change like the weather.

huh.

Does that also mean that if it's stamped "BULL" as in bull barrel or "MATCH" (both of which are bigger than a typical HBAR) that they are not considered acceptable?

Jeebus Cripes. This soup-sandwich keeps getting better and better.

hoythunter

Dec 8, 2015
    Harford County
    Exactly! I was looking at 'Match' barrels that did not have HBAR stamped on them, nor did the product description say 'Heavy'...yet the diameter was greater than most HBAR stamped barrrels. Very frustrating and confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom