Wife's going to get a lot of flowers for this one...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • milldog

Apr 16, 2011
    College Park
    Just went to Engage for the first tine to both express my thanks for all the stuff they've done in relation to SB281 and to inquire about the possibility of going through them for my last pre-Oct intended purchases, an Arsenal AK and an Engage lower. Figured this would be more of a check-the-place-out-but-nothing'll-be-in-stock session like I've had at other shops...AJ pulls a brand new Arsenal SAM7 off the wall...

...and 15 minutes later I'm walking out the door a little lighter in the wallet, but a lot happier in my outlook 'cuz I've got the paperwork heading out and whether it's 7 (ha!) days or 70, I'll soon be the proud owner/possessor of that AK. Props to Engage for running a top-notch shop where the focus is on the customer...no attitude or bs'ing behind the counter while a customer waits and they answered all of my questions.:clap:
    • ...and I'd be remiss for not saying thx for this forum...after reading a lot of the threads regarding the merits of Arsenals over WASRs, etc, I was a lot more confident in deciding to go for the purchase.

Now, like an idiot I forgot to get a phonepic of said rifle, so before anyone says
    :needpics:
    here's a generic photo...

Mine's just the generic SAM7 w/black polymer furniture, 10rnd mag (I see a trip across the Potomac in my future), oil bottle, sling, etc. The stock's a little short (I,m 6'), but that's not an issue as I was planning on replacing the furniture anyways...not sure if I'll want to go tacticool w/a collapsing stock or indulge my Red Dawn/Falling Skies fantasies and go for more traditional wood furniture...advice/comments/suggestions are welcome.

...and yes, after I restock my wife's garden with new annuals to make up for getting a new rifle I'll be heading back to Engage in the summer to pick up a lower.:party29:

Attachments

• xctmphPERau.png
      xctmphPERau.png
      2.5 KB · Views: 684

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I did the same thing the day before. Just under $1500 after it was all said and done. Paid a little more than internet sale but supporting Engage too so whatever. Did you see the nice shorty? Wish it wasn't in 5.56 or I might have bought that too.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ya they are sweet if I can sell a few things I may have to get one. Sooner have an slr107 but either rocks

Dave M

Jan 27, 2013
    Pa.
    Nice, makes me want one. My SKS could use a big brother but only cobwebs, dust and toasted plastic in my wallet for now. :) Thinking about a forged lower tho. :D

milldog

Apr 16, 2011
    College Park
    I did the same thing the day before. Just under $1500 after it was all said and done. Paid a little more than internet sale but supporting Engage too so whatever. Did you see the nice shorty? Wish it wasn't in 5.56 or I might have bought that too.

#1 objective was getting the Arsenal, but the close #2 was making sure Andy got my next purchase in one way, shape, form. Bonus was seeing the "F*** Frosh" :party29::party29: stripped lower in the display window (censored for the faint of heart; actual receiver is in all its full-lettered glory).

I didn't see the shorty; SLR106UR? I'm not too into the pistol-variants, though I wouldn't mind a PLR-16 just because it looks like some sort of cyberpunk corporate samurai sidearm. I did see they had a 5.56 Arsenal sidefolder w/the AK74-style comp....yech, there's something fundamentally wrong with firing NATO ammo in a Warsaw Pact weapon.

milldog

Apr 16, 2011
    College Park
    Ok, finally got ammo to take the rifle to BRGC this weekend...Oh, Mama. Only the second time I shot an AK in my life, and that was only for about 5 minutes. The trigger is waaay different, it'll take some time to get used to the mag release, and after being spoiled on ARs I hate the archaic sights....and that all doesn't matter because she was a hoot to fire.

I didn't take any pics of the target as, well, I'm not gonna win any medals for accuracy/groups. That being said, I had almost all the shots on the chest for a silhouette at 100 yds from the standing unsupported; even with the intermediate stock the rifle felt very comfortable. It seemed to kick subjectively less than my AR, probably because the latter has a pencil barrel. Regardless, even with its awkward controls, I may have to revise my opinion on my SHTF rifle.

I've now got some Bulgarian polymer 30 rnders I picked up in VA and a bunch of ammo to burn through at the range down the road. Thanks Andy and AJ for hooking me up.:D

Attachments

• 0616131320.jpg
      0616131320.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 309
    • IMG_20130608_133942.jpg
      IMG_20130608_133942.jpg
      56 KB · Views: 305

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Nice rifle. Bulgarian milled AK's are the only milled AK I would buy (and have) since they refined their receiver technology once they got back to making them. So good in fact they are doing away with stamped guns unless they make some for the civilian market.

If you don't like the rear site they make after market peep sights such as the Mojo:

Snap-Sights-Pic2.jpg

http://www.mojosights.com/

And then there is Krebs which has AR-style controls on the rear site but is pricey however top quality:

Rail_Assembled-650.jpg

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml

Texas Weapon Systems

PIC_0038Rev.jpg

http://texasweaponsystems.com/index.html

My AK collection:

20120711225913293.jpg

milldog

Apr 16, 2011
    College Park
    Nice rifle. Bulgarian milled AK's are the only milled AK I would buy (and have) since they refined their receiver technology once they got back to making them. So good in fact they are doing away with stamped guns unless they make some for the civilian market.

If you don't like the rear site they make after market peep sights such as the Mojo:

Snap-Sights-Pic2.jpg

http://www.mojosights.com/

And then there is Krebs which has AR-style controls on the rear site but is pricey however top quality:

Rail_Assembled-650.jpg

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml

Texas Weapon Systems

PIC_0038Rev.jpg

http://texasweaponsystems.com/index.html

Thx! Definitely want to add on the rear aperture sight...looks like the Krebs mount isn't for milled receivers. Mojo sight looks like it'd be the easiest fit.

Btw, that's a sweet collection you've got...too bad I won't be able to similarly stock up because of Annapolis.:mad54:

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    damnit, you had to post this! I practically forgot about the sam7r I bought seeing as its been near a month of waiting so far. Cannot wait to get shoot it. I think i'm going to put wood furniture on mine, just like they way it looks with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom