Why doesn't griffin armament get much love?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreedomLuvr

Mar 21, 2010
    Balt. Co.
    There are barely any local dealers that carry their inventory and they don't get much love online.

The Dual-lok 5 is probably the best all around 5.56 can on the market. Its lightweight, super rugged for a tubeless, extremely quite, low backpressure, and above average flash reduction. Side by side it handily beat (to my ears) the flow 556k and polonium. The polonium was great ay the muzzle but flashy and loud at the ear. The flow was all around louder, but had zero backpressure. The DL5 was balanced perfectly. I heard them at the capitolarmory event at the end of 2022.

I'm new to NFA and still waiting on my first cans to release (alittle over 200 days in). I picked up an HRT and Dual-lok 7. However, I wish I picked up a DL5 after hearing it.

Does anyone know why GA seems like it's an afterthought for most folks when they make phenomenal products?

Edit: Also, that new 22 jammy they dropped looks great. GA definitely has the size/weight ratio nailed.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a couple, and do like their stuff. One of my local shops(Lanco tactical) stocks and sells a lot of them. Many of their designs are kinda specialized, so fewer potential buyers. Their taper mount setup is awesome, more than anything that is what sold me on their cans. There are a couple reasons they are not more popular. The Green brothers rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way a few years ago with some arfcom forum antics. They also have a habit of releasing a product, then quietly fixing issues and releasing an improved 2.0 version shortly afterwards, people are still waiting for paperwork to clear on their now inferior product, and get upset. Griffin charges to upgrade to 2.0 specs. Seems they release quickly to let early adopters beta test new stuff while still finalizing the design, and people feel ripped off. That being said, it's a small company run by vets that are not great at BS polite marketing speak, and they do make great stuff.

FreedomLuvr

Mar 21, 2010
    Balt. Co.
    I have a couple, and do like their stuff. One of my local shops(Lanco tactical) stocks and sells a lot of them. Many of their designs are kinda specialized, so fewer potential buyers. Their taper mount setup is awesome, more than anything that is what sold me on their cans. There are a couple reasons they are not more popular. The Green brothers rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way a few years ago with some arfcom forum antics. They also have a habit of releasing a product, then quietly fixing issues and releasing an improved 2.0 version shortly afterwards, people are still waiting for paperwork to clear on their now inferior product, and get upset. Griffin charges to upgrade to 2.0 specs. Seems they release quickly to let early adopters beta test new stuff while still finalizing the design, and people feel ripped off. That being said, it's a small company run by vets that are not great at BS polite marketing speak, and they do make great stuff.
    I've been talking to Austin for weeks on Arfcom. He's a really nice guy. He actually didn't want to sell the HRT in it's current configuration, but was overruled. He wanted to extent it by .3". They have a contract with a polish SF unit and have already reduced the backpressure by 35% and decibels at ear and muzzle by 3. They have a few months before the contract is due, and at the end they will take the best design and make it the new recce5/k and HRT2. He also told me he wasnt happy with the Dual-lok 7 as at ear is only 140db on .308. Those 2 statements were a giant kick in the sack, because I got a Dual-lok 7 and HRT as my first cans.

He said the Dual-lok 5 is amazing, which also hurt because I was going back and forth between the DL5 and HRT, but chose the HRT because it is going to live on an sbr.

From what I've gathered talking to Austin. He's really data driven, and definitely not a "salesman". He likes to put his head down and just design stuff. I've actually been trying to give them some tips on marketing strategies, and in return he extended me an industry partner discount on my next suppressor.

We've talked about so much stuff/life in general. I really don't think he means to put stuff out and then upgrade it immediately. His life literally resolves around designing suppressors (he works an obscene amount of hours like so many of us). He explained that they always put out there best at the time, but he is constantly trying to improve the design. He admitted he stuggles with that decision. Alot of companies will sit on designs if they sell well. He doesn't think thats right, but I also just think he likes trying to fine tune and rework designs.

I didn't know about the stuff in the past. He had mentioned something about it, but I kinda skipped over it in the whole flow of the conversation. Was just curious what people's thoughts were. I'm also new to NFA.

FreedomLuvr

Mar 21, 2010
    Balt. Co.
    Because they are full of proprietary parts. They are okay as long as you don't consider them to be AR 15s. I know, when MoCo police gave them to their SWAT teams, they had a lot of difficulties keeping them running reliably(these were select fire guns). It's been years since I've spoken to any of them to see how they worked out. I'm sure there was a bit of a learning curve to them.
    Ya, I have never considered any of their firearms. There's to many great options out there now. Was more so curious about the suppressors.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've been talking to Austin for weeks on Arfcom. He's a really nice guy. He actually didn't want to sell the HRT in it's current configuration, but was overruled. He wanted to extent it by .3". They have a contract with a polish SF unit and have already reduced the backpressure by 35% and decibels at ear and muzzle by 3. They have a few months before the contract is due, and at the end they will take the best design and make it the new recce5/k and HRT2. He also told me he wasnt happy with the Dual-lok 7 as at ear is only 140db on .308. Those 2 statements were a giant kick in the sack, because I got a Dual-lok 7 and HRT as my first cans.

He said the Dual-lok 5 is amazing, which also hurt because I was going back and forth between the DL5 and HRT, but chose the HRT because it is going to live on an sbr.

From what I've gathered talking to Austin. He's really data driven, and definitely not a "salesman". He likes to put his head down and just design stuff. I've actually been trying to give them some tips on marketing strategies, and in return he extended me an industry partner discount on my next suppressor.

We've talked about so much stuff/life in general. I really don't think he means to put stuff out and then upgrade it immediately. His life literally resolves around designing suppressors (he works an obscene amount of hours like so many of us). He explained that they always put out there best at the time, but he is constantly trying to improve the design. He admitted he stuggles with that decision. Alot of companies will sit on designs if they sell well. He doesn't think thats right, but I also just think he likes trying to fine tune and rework designs.

I didn't know about the stuff in the past. He had mentioned something about it, but I kinda skipped over it in the whole flow of the conversation. Was just curious what people's thoughts were. I'm also new to NFA.
    I've talked to Austin and Evan a couple times, and yes, they are pretty cool, and a lot more approachable and relatable than most companies that tend to polish their PR with BS. Having an engineering background myself, I do understand "make the best we can at the time, keep innovating". I bought my Explorr 300 1.0, and was waiting on it to clear when the 2.0 cans came out. I bought the best can for my purpose at the time, and I do love it, the upgrades to the 2.0 are relatively minor, but still it can be frustrating to spend a lot of money, and wait a year only to see something better come out before you can even pick up your 1.0 model. The grief they get is mostly due to gun forum buffoonery, but not entirely. They get accused of stealing designs a lot, and 99% of the time it's BS, but they did get sued a couple times over it, think the POF vs Griffin lawsuit is still ongoing. They have done some cringy stuff in the past, like "point twards Arabs" being engraved on early cans, or calling people goat F#@kers on forums. They are vets, they served in the Middle east, and inside jokes among vets don't often make good PR, and hardly anything controversial since they got popular.

Last edited:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Anyone have any input on the Reece 5? I know they rate it at -35db’s, and that it’s not user serviceable. Other than that, I’d love to get more user experiences. Good/bad, loud/quiet and back pressure problems or positives. Like my other 2 suppressors, it’s in ATF limbo.

FreedomLuvr

Mar 21, 2010
    Balt. Co.
    Anyone have any input on the Reece 5? I know they rate it at -35db’s, and that it’s not user serviceable. Other than that, I’d love to get more user experiences. Good/bad, loud/quiet and back pressure problems or positives. Like my other 2 suppressors, it’s in ATF limbo.
    The recce 5 is probably one of the best cans on the market. My buddy has one and it stomps everyone elses suppressor in our small group. It's why I went with GA for my first suppressor. I wish I got that over the HRT. They're the same weight. However, after hearing the Dual-lok 5 that's what I'm getting next. Its super quiet and is flow through. It's also 11.2oz vs 14.4. The Dual-lok is tubeless like most suppressors. So if you want really hard use and a possible upgrade path the recce 5 is the answer.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    IMO the Recce is a good, tough and simple can, but by Griffin's standards it's their entry level taper mount can. Decent mix of size, weight and performance at 1.5" x 6.2" and 14.5oz. It's an eco flow baffle stack welded in a tube. The Paladin is 1.5ox lighter, .1" longer, but is user serviceable with swappable end caps. Basically the same performance as the Recce, and IMO kind of a pointless feature in a 5.56 rifle can, where you don't have cast or epoxy 300 subs, pistol or rimfire calibers to worry about. THe Explorr, and most of the newer designs are tubeless, meaning the baffle stack is welded together without a separate outer tube. More internal volume, much lighter weight, still tough, and more than sufficient for most calibers, it's just better technology IMO. At 6" long and 9oz it has similar suppression to the Recce and Paladin, but in a noticeably smaller, lighter package. There is also a modular mount version that can use Griffin's taper mount, or any other 1.375x24 adapter.

I've demoed the Dual lok, but don't really like it, basically have to pull the lock ring and turn it to lock open and install or remove the can, then turn it left or right to allow it to lock onto the mount's ratchet teeth, it is secure though. You need access to the mount, so no can tucked under the handguard, it's slow and cumbersome, not as good as many other mounts IMO, and kind of disappointing as it isn't compatible with taper mounts, and not as good IMO.

Comparing to others, there are a lot of good cans, and you will probably notice features and size/weight more than small differences in suppression, especially on semi-auto. Backpressure is noticeable, but even that isn't always a big deal, doesn't matter if it's moderate, and you have adjustable gas, without adjustable gas, it does make a bigger difference. Rugged's Razor is very similar to the Recce, but has a fixed proprietary mount for their muzzle devices, and Rugged doesn't make all that many. Dead air's new Sierra 5 is pretty good, it's small, low backpressure, modular mount, pretty similar to a utility mount Explorr. The Huxwrx 5.56K is heavy, expensive, mediocre suppression, and big for a K can. It does have the lowest backpressure of most any can, and doesn't need adjustible gas, but it's an all or nothing design that gives up a lot for that low backpressure, and IMO more balanced low backpressure cans like Griffin's ecoflow and the DA Sierra 5 are better. The Sico Saker is a classic, and a really good can, good size, but a little heavy, similar to a Recce, but IMO the full size sounds a little better, and the smaller K isn't all that much louder. The YHM Turbo is probably the best deal in 5.56 suppressors, small, light, sounds good, modular mount, a little more backpressure than newer designs.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Freedomluvr and 0822, awesome reviews! Thanks! Good to know that I made a good choice. I thought about the Palidon, the Rugged Razor, the HUX Flo and, believe it or not, the Rugged Alaskan 360. Came close with the Alaskan, as it can be used on a wide variety of weapons. The Razor and the HUX, weren’t reviewed highly, for sound suppression. I don’t have a wide variety of caliber’s, so the 360, would be lost on me, as I’v already purchased a 9mm can and a .22 can. I don’t shoot enough, that I’d have to worry about constantly breaking down a 5.56 can. They’re supposed to be good for thousands of rounds. Or am I wrong? I’m not sure about that. The Socom suppressors are largely considered to be the best 5.56 cans, but they cost twice the price. Anyway, I saw the Palidan after my purchase, and didn’t feel like going through the process of switching, honestly. I made the purchase through the Silencer Shop, so, I don’t think it would be too difficult. But, it would definitely add more time, and that’s the real PIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom