• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I've been researching safes and Sturdy peaked my interest due to it's 7 gauge construction and it's relatively low price point compared to other manufacturers models that have the 7 gauge construction.

It appears the other manufacturers only use 7 gauge on their upper end models and load them with all the bells and whistles and cost at a minimum $1000 and up more.

How do they rate against comparable Browning, Liberty, Champion or other quality safes?

I was trying to keep my budget including installation in a TH basement at $3500 or less, preferably less. :D

Thanks for you help

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Another member here told me to check out www.cesafes.com. I was quoted a good price for the C4028T and C5028T when I inquired a couple months back. Shipping quote was reasonable too.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    I have a sturdy safe 32W x 24D x 60H and love it. I've had it for about two years now and it's been great. Mine is not fire lined and I did my own custom set up inside, perfect for what I need.

Last edited:

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I have a sturdy safe 32W x 24D x 60H and love it. I've had it for about two years now and it's been great. Mine is not fire lined and I did my own custom set up inside, perfect for what I need.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

The Sturdy safes really fly in the face of convention when compared to it's competitors. All of the other safes with 7 gauge steel have bolts all around the perimeter of the door versus Sturdy's handful on the sides. I watched the Sturdy video and they claim you don't need all those bolts, because they rest against a unibody wall versus the edge of steel plating. With the fire liner, the safe I was interested in weighs in at close to 1000lbs, with 200lbs of that being the fire liner. That seems pretty substantial to me but some folks think they're rather light weight for a safe with 7 gauge steel? To me the wall and door thickness are what I want to pay my money for, not carpeting, lighting, and a fancy handle. No springlers in my house, so I'm thinking ponying up for some fire lining is a worthwhile investment, even though it does cut a chunk out of storage space

It's rather intimidating purchasing something for $3k sight unseen.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    If you search Sturdy safes here, you'll find several threads where they are being discussed. Much easier than me (and some others) typing it out again.
    There is a several week wait on new orders at the moment.
    They are also doing 5 gauge exteriors now, which will be my first order once I move in a year and get settled.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I've been researching safes and Sturdy peaked my interest due to it's 7 gauge construction and it's relatively low price point compared to other manufacturers models that have the 7 gauge construction.

It appears the other manufacturers only use 7 gauge on their upper end models and load them with all the bells and whistles and cost at a minimum $1000 and up more.

How do they rate against comparable Browning, Liberty, Champion or other quality safes?

I was trying to keep my budget including installation in a TH basement at $3500 or less, preferably less. :D

Thanks for you help

About as good as it gets for a RSC.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    I've heard good things about Sturdy for a value per dollar safe. Heard great things about Fort Knox and Browning safes... As for interiors I like the Brownings adjustable shelving system and ability to put rifles on the door back. Grafunder makes a great safe but are pretty high dollar.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    If you search Sturdy safes here, you'll find several threads where they are being discussed. Much easier than me (and some others) typing it out again.
    I've deservedly gotten my wrist slapped before :o for not doing a proper search and thought I did my due diligence this time around, sorry for the redundancy in questions to yourself and others.

I was trying to get a thread about Sturdy Safes, but after reading thru a half a dozen threads with only a scrap of info here and there, felt it would be more beneficial to myself and others if it was one stop shopping.
    So here's what I've found, anybody feel free to address anything I've missed.

The videos on Sturdy Safes really do indicate a well-built product...and they seem to do a good job making a frame that resists flexing, which IMO is huge! I approached them cautiously given how many poor quality gun safes are out there, but the testing videos shows a product that is far more difficult to penetrate than others in its class. I really, really wish they consider UL testing as it seems likely it would do exceptionally well...and it would mean savings for some with insurance. Further, they seem to have the technology to make a good high security tool resistant safe, which would be a great addition given the current makers of these products are pretty limited and I only know of two tool-resistent gun safes made at a large level of production.

Yep, thats why I went with the Sturdy.

First reason: I can count the number of things that I have that are actually worth something on one hand. :D

Second: Budget

I shoot the CRAP out of what I have though. . .well not as much lately due to ammo availability. :sad20: When things slow down price wise I need to start looking into a re barrel on one of my ARs, round count is getting close and I want to change it out before I notice groups opening up/keyholing :)

I spend way more on training and ammo for practice than I do on my ‘collection’ . . .if you can even call what I have a collection.

The Sturdy seems to be built very well. However, the Brown is UL listed, which will likely have a greater impact on insurance...it's worth making a few calls to find out. I'm a big fan of of the UL's testing given it is standardized and designed to rank. If money is not an option, the Amvault and Gibraltar may also be good choices, as could Amsec's HS gun safes. Both come in a TL-30x6. You can also sometimes find gently used TRTL-30/60 safes for a good price (relative to their cost new).

Amsec and Sturdy Safe make great USA made safes, but they are not cheap.

Here's the one of the best guide for gun safes on the net.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

As for my safe, I went with a Sturdy as have a few other guys on the forum since it is one if not the toughest, strongest safe on the market. Even if you don't like them, their site has good info under safe buying tips to use for a comparison.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/

Good Luck with your shopping

I'm one of the other Sturdy safe owners. IMHO there's not a better safe at it's price point. Check out the website that Huckleberry linked.
    Graffunder is my pick for the best residential safes-but $3K MIGHT buy you the paint job only......:sad20:

Did you read the gunsafe guide on 6mmbr? It does give you a lot info on all the safes. You have to decide what you the qualities you want in your safe like...

1) Made in USA? A lot of safes are made in Mexico or overseas in China or Korea and are just "assembled in USA" meaning the may hanging/balance the door, install fire protection, install the lock and most importantly give it a pretty, high gloss paint job so it looks good in your living room.

2) Fire Protection is not at the same. One company's claim of 45-60 may actually only be 20-30 minutes in a real fire. Some of the fire testing is done in "electric ovens/kilns" and the measurement is for paper to char inside the safe. Also some will vary the actual time of the test to include the warm up time and not just time at temperature.

3) The test for forced entry is also pretty amazing in what they use as a standard at UL in terms of the tools used, opening made in the safe and how the door is forced open.

Thompson Safes in Frederick is another good dealer to do some comparison shopping and get your research information. The handled the full range from the modular Dakotas to the Grafs. Checkout their website too.

As for dealer being a locksmith, a lot of the mfg'ers have only "authorized" locksmiths for warranty, lockouts or fire openings. Check their fine print, it maybe a moot point when deciding on dealing with Dan, Continental or a big box store like Bass Pro or Cabela's. You may also want to checkout OnTarget too, I think they carry Brownings and some other lower line safe.

Again, I went with Sturdy for their tough and rugged construction, made in USA, and the price was right. I didn't need a high gloss paint job plus they were recommended by a few friends who are Federal LEOs whose agencies purchased them.

As with any major purchase, it comes down to each their own choice.

Again, good luck with you shopping and I hope this helps with your search.

After months of research and examining many different gun safes, I recently purchased a gun safe from Sturdy Gun Safe, Inc. I know of one other member here who recently purchased a Sturdy Gun Safe and is very happy with his purchase (one of the many benefits of this site is the information and suggestions that other members readily provide). The fit and fabrication are top-notch (the recessed door is a very tight fit and seals great when the handle is engaged -- 7 gauge walls, 5/8 inch solid steel door, fully fire-lined with ceramic and glass fire liner). The company manufactures its own safes in California (USA!). The owner of the company, Terry, has been available by telephone each and every time I have called and has been able to answer all of my questions and to respond to all of my requests for information. He is very knowledgeable (and very talkative). If you are in the market for a gun safe, you should check out Sturdy -- call Terry with any questions (800-262-0023). I have no financial or other interest in Sturdy -- I only like to help spread the word when I find a USA manufacturer providing top quality items.

The VERY BEST gun safe for the money IMO. Won't win a beauty contest-but that's not what it's for......

Sturdy will ship to residential or commercial locations. Commercial locations with standard height loading docks get a shipping discount-but you have to get it to your end location.
    I bet you'll have to get it shipped to your house and then hire a local moving company to get it from the curb/garage inside.

Fire-lined, 36 x 27x 72. Delivered (by Roadway) by lift gate and wheeled into my garage. Just over $3,000.00.
    $3000 is about the price for a fire lined 32x24x72 currently

There is a several week wait on new orders at the moment.
    They are also doing 5 gauge exteriors now, which will be my first order once I move in a year and get settled.

Only a handful of folks on here appear to have them, anyone else got one and what is your experience?

Last edited:

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

Thanks for you help

Arfcom has a safe forum with a lot of good info to pour through - a lot of people like Sturdy from a value perspective.

You won't find any unbiased comparison anywhere, the only rating which holds any water is the "RSC" and even that doesn't hold a lot of water.

The Study's fire protection seems "limited." If you've worked with dry wall, you could do it yourself and save a lot of money.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Arfcom has a safe forum with a lot of good info to pour through - a lot of people like Sturdy from a value perspective.
    Thanks, I'll have a look

The Study's fire protection seems "limited." If you've worked with dry wall, you could do it yourself and save a lot of money.

I thought their fire protection looked quite impressive, however for the life of me, I couldn't find an actual guaranteed burn time in minutes listed anywhere on their site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom