What is the last day to perform a 8th day relase before October 1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    From my understanding from the instructions on a 77r, the last day to do a transfer that the MSP receive is Sunday September 22. Any handgun received on either September 21 or 22, will be released on the same day, Monday September 30.

Can any FFLs verify this?

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I don't know if asking for an FFL to verify something makes much sense. FFLs can interpret things in many ways - and often times it's easy to point out their mistakes. Just look for complaints on FFLs wanting to sell AR-308s as a registered firearm!

The law says 7 days must be waited, with day 1 being the date of purchase / paperwork being sent in. This makes the magic date 9/23 to get the firearm before 10/1.

Regardless of this, you should really be contacting individual FFLs for these handgun purchases - as opposed to finding out the law. FFLs are under no obligation to do the bare minimum of the law in terms of waiting to pick up a firearm.

EDIT: Today I learned I can't do math. Link to the law on Justia.com

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I don't know if asking for an FFL to verify something makes much sense. FFLs can interpret things in many ways - and often times it's easy to point out their mistakes. Just look for complaints on FFLs wanting to sell AR-308s as a registered firearm!

The law says 7 days must be waited, with day 1 being the date of purchase / paperwork being sent in. This makes the magic date 9/22 to get the firearm before 10/1.

Regardless of this, you should really be contacting individual FFLs for these handgun purchases - as opposed to finding out the law. FFLs are under no obligation to do the bare minimum of the law in terms of waiting to pick up a firearm.

I am more concerned with the last day to complete a transfer at the MSP barracks.

I went to La Plata Barracks H today and was turned away because their computers are down. It pissed me off because the seller was there with all her documentation, ID, and forms already filled out. After the trooper retrieved the handgun from my car, ten minutes later he told us to come back another day. I asked if we could just complete the paper work and leave it there and was told no. So the seller and I had to figure out when we could meet up again and still make the 8 day release before October 1.

Neither of us were happy with being turned away like this.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Monday, Sept 23rd. 7 days from that falls on Monday, Sept 30th.

My understanding is AFTER 7 days, and on the 8th day it can be released. That is why I thought that either the 21st or 22nd would be the drop dead last day. Either day, Monday would be the 8th day since a handgun cannot be released on a Sunday or observed holiday.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    We should be concerned that the MSP will declare that the rush of folks attempting transfers are "overloading" them and will turn buyers/seller away during these next two weeks...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The answer is that there is NO answer.

The subject can up at length regarding Handgun ( wear & carry) Permit applications submitted post-Woolard. Turns out that there are calender days , COMAR Business days , and everyday usage Business Days , all different , and none are designated Official MSP "Days" . Hence the reason that so many Dealers that are doing early release will do 10 or 14 days to avoid this specific drama. Take your own guess. Each option has strong logic to back it up , and particularily in light of MSP refusal to define "day" prosecution for following either calender or COMAR is extremely unlikely.

But don't ask us , ask your Dealer what his practice is .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom