• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • So after 11 and a half months I finally got my stamp back on my gemtech lunar 45. Reading through all of the documentation that came with it it states that it's compatible with 9 mm 40 Smith & Wesson and 10 mm as well as 45 acp. Under the 40 Smith & Wesson and 10 mm it says dry only. I'm not familiar with this terminology. Googling it it didn't really help much. I found some information but I'm still a little confused as to what dry only means. Anybody have a better explanation?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Running a suppressor wet means putting some wire pulling gel or similar substance into the suppressor. This adds additional sound suppression.**

https://www.silencercentral.com/blog/wet-vs-dry-suppressor/

By "dry" they mean not wet. Not even moist. Not even that silcone gel your bf keeps on the bedside table. Dry baby.

** running my wife wet has the opposite effect in the camo household.

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    So after 11 and a half months I finally got my stamp back on my gemtech lunar 45. Reading through all of the documentation that came with it it states that it's compatible with 9 mm 40 Smith & Wesson and 10 mm as well as 45 acp. Under the 40 Smith & Wesson and 10 mm it says dry only. I'm not familiar with this terminology. Googling it it didn't really help much. I found some information but I'm still a little confused as to what dry only means. Anybody have a better explanation?

Hmmmm I would say no liquid/gel but still awaiting my paperwork so not sure. Either way post your results! Cheers

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    So I am trying to think of why not run it wet, and the only thing I can think of (from the link in post #3):

A wet suppressor may have a wet blowback. Water, mixed with some of the burnt powder, will likely spray back. This is what it is and can be messy. The gel inside a suppressor is less mobile but still can produce blowback.

I am taking an educated guess that with the higher power .40 and 10mm, there will be a lot of wet blowback that will ruin your gun.

That's the only reason I can think of.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Running a suppressor wet helps with first round pop on cans that are susceptible to that. I've done it using a nasal spray bottle that's been refilled with water. Couple spritzes and it's good. The effect doesn't last very long as the water, or other liquid/grease, gets blown out of the can eventually.

Running a suppressor wet helps with first round pop on cans that are susceptible to that. I've done it using a nasal spray bottle that's been refilled with water. Couple spritzes and it's good. The effect doesn't last very long as the water, or other liquid/grease, gets blown out of the can eventually.

Thanks. Since I didn't know this was a thing before and probably would never do it I'm not concerned. I was actually at the range sighting in my new Henry in 357 Magnum when I got the call that it was ready for pickup. I wish they would have done it yesterday so I could have actually taken my new can to the range with me because the Henry has a threaded barrel. Oh well maybe next time

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So I am trying to think of why not run it wet, and the only thing I can think of (from the link in post #3):

I am taking an educated guess that with the higher power .40 and 10mm, there will be a lot of wet blowback that will ruin your gun.

That's the only reason I can think of.

The reason it is a "no" and why some silencers say to only run them dry for anything you use is because the gel or liquid takes up volume in the silencer. This increases pressure.

If the silencer is not designed for that extra pressure.

bad things.

Most can be run wet, even if it says they can't be. However, the difference between "oh just a capful of water" and "well I just stuck it in the bucket and let a little water drain" is very large.

So I'd go with what the manufacturer says. If it says "don't do this thing", don't do the thing.

It isn't about getting things dirty. It is about increased pressure.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yup. Gel tends to last longer than water and it is all about how much volume you use.

It both reduces first round pop, but also quiets subsequent shots also.

I've only done a bit of water and the difference is noticeable (in a good way), but more of a pain than it is worth unless you somehow needed the ULTIMATE suppression.

Based on what I've read and seen in videos and my very, very, very limited testing, figure between 5-10 shots if using water. 10-30 shots if using gel. It does tend to make more of a mess. Especially if using wire pulling gel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom