• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major Major

Feb 19, 2013
    Frederick Co
    This is an embarrassing newbie question. I thought the new law banned the sale of high capacity weapons and grandfathered ownership. Now I am gathering that one can still buy and sell.such--say a pistol with a 15 rd capacity as long as one does not sell or give the mags to the buyer. I ask because I have a Bersa Thunder Plus in 380 that I want to sell, having lost patience with the availability and price of 380. Thanks in advance.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    This is an embarrassing newbie question. I thought the new law banned the sale of high capacity weapons and grandfathered ownership. Now I am gathering that one can still buy and sell.such--say a pistol with a 15 rd capacity as long as one does not sell or give the mags to the buyer. I ask because I have a Bersa Thunder Plus in 380 that I want to sell, having lost patience with the availability and price of 380. Thanks in advance.

Correct. You can sell the pistol (assuming it's on the roster), but you cannot sell the mags in state. You can sell or transfer them out of ME.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Correct. You can sell the pistol (assuming it's on the roster), but you cannot sell the mags in state. You can sell or transfer them out of ME.

No need to bring Maine into this:D

Seriously, though...

This is just one of many stupid and unnecessary aspects of the current law that we need to have reversed.

Yes. You may transfer the firearm. But you have to go across state lines to transfer the factory-designed magazines.:sad20::sad20::sad20:

Major Major

Feb 19, 2013
    Frederick Co
    Thanks for the quick replies. If you know of a "how to" on using the MSP to transfer on the forums somewhere I would be grateful. I will poke around in the meantime

thai

May 8, 2013
    Go to any MSP barracks with the gun unloaded WITHOUT the high capacity mag and they will do the transfer for you. Just make sure to leave gun in a case and locked in your trunk. They will provide all forms and charge you $10 for the service. Checks only no cash.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Go to any MSP barracks with the gun unloaded WITHOUT the high capacity mag and they will do the transfer for you. Just make sure to leave gun in a case and locked in your trunk. They will provide all forms and charge you $10 for the service. Checks only no cash.

And the buyer must have an HQL or proof of exemption.

OP, Yes, there are multiple threads on this forum addressing this same question. The search function is your friend.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    I would add to the advice to "Just make sure to leave gun in a case and locked in your trunk" ...Until you have gone inside and made them aware of what you want to have them do and let THEM tell you to bring the gun into the barracks! Might cut down on some drama and make the transaction go a little smoother. :innocent0

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Just to let you know, there is no such thing as a high capacity weapon.

380 ammo is available on line just like all the other calibers.
    http://ammoseek.com/ammo/380-auto

HTH,
    Jim Smith

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I would add to the advice to "Just make sure to leave gun in a case and locked in your trunk" ...Until you have gone inside and made them aware of what you want to have them do and let THEM tell you to bring the gun into the barracks! Might cut down on some drama and make the transaction go a little smoother. :innocent0

Procedure may be different at the various MSP barracks. In September I did a pistol transfer at Rockville. I left the pistol in the trunk and went in to do the paperwork with the buyer. The corporal then came out to the vehicle, had me open the car trunk, remove the pistol from the case, show him the weapon was clear, and the corporal vereified the serial number while standing there at my car trunk. Then I put the gun away, we went back in, and finished up.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Procedure may be different at the various MSP barracks. In September I did a pistol transfer at Rockville. I left the pistol in the trunk and went in to do the paperwork with the buyer. The corporal then came out to the vehicle, had me open the car trunk, remove the pistol from the case, show him the weapon was clear, and the corporal vereified the serial number while standing there at my car trunk. Then I put the gun away, we went back in, and finished up.

It all depends on the particular trooper that you deal with at that moment in time. I've done many transfers at two different barracks, and most of the time they wanted me to leave it in the car and they came out and took the gun inside. Sometimes they insisted on taking it back out to my car, once they let me take it back to my car, and once the trooper actually let me bring it in AND take it back to my car. Best bet is to leave it in the car and let them decide how they want to handle it.

srephwed

Jul 25, 2010
    harford county
    did a transfer about 3 years ago.had the pistol in a case unloaded in the trunk.went in asked what i should do.trooper told me to write serial number on form.I told him I had the gun in my vehicle and did not know the serial number.he gave the the form and a pen and sent me to my car to fill it out.he never saw the gun.did the transfer and everything was fine.how can we make sense out of anything when nothing makes sense.I say to all the hillbillies like me that thought we could not make a difference before,we can!!! get your sorry butt registered to vote and DO IT!!!.that is the only way.we can ralley our collective a**es off and nothing will change till we vote these sons o beaches out!lets show them who the boss really is.take back Maryland in 2014,then our country in 2016!!!!!!!!!

Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    I say to all the hillbillies like me that thought we could not make a difference before,we can!!! get your sorry butt registered to vote and DO IT!!!.that is the only way.we can ralley our collective a**es off and nothing will change till we vote these sons o beaches out!lets show them who the boss really is.take back Maryland in 2014,then our country in 2016!!!!!!!!!

^ this!

If you are not yet registered to vote and plan on being in Annapolis on 2ATuesday, seek out one of the MSI voter registration volunteers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom