i have

3 grinders
    12 ton press
    rigged up and working trigger guard jig
    punches
    big hammers
    a heavy vice
    headspace gauges

I'm working on making a plinker style jig. ( the bolt cutter dont work so well)
    I have a set of bucking bars that make perfect long rivet heads.

A few extra punches are nice to have since they can and do break.

It would be nice if someone had a media blaster of some sort.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    i have
    I'm working on making a plinker style jig. ( the bolt cutter dont work so well)

I had heard that was true on improperly made cutters (loss of heat treatment, unrounded edges etc.- they tended to break easily). That's why I chose to get a set professionally made by a builder with a really good reputation rather than try to do it myself- have you heard otherwise?

Dave

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I had heard that was true on improperly made cutters (loss of heat treatment, unrounded edges etc.- they tended to break easily). That's why I chose to get a set professionally made by a builder with a really good reputation rather than try to do it myself- have you heard otherwise?

Dave

I've done otherwise. I made 2 sets on my own. Its really tough to get the center barrle rivet, and all the rivets tend to want to fall over instead of crush. I dont think its much of a difference on how you make them, its a matter of how much $$ you are happy with spending. I could have made a slightly better set if i welded them, but i'm going to weld i'll just make a plinkers jig instead.

I can build just about anything, and imho, the cutters are inferior. All you have to do is wreck one rivet and you'll be sorry.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Thanks for the advice.

I think the long rivet jig I bought is a plinker style jig.

The "long rivet jig" is you crushing the rear trunnion rivets and center support rivet on fixed stock builds. I think plinker invented this, but i dont thinks its refered to as a plinkers jig.

The bolt cutter tool smashes the 6 front trunnion rivets. it''ll work. sometimes its not a pretty rivet head. For the price, 10-45 buxs, it can't be beat.

The real plinkers jig, a copy is for sale @ ak builder dot com (over 200 buxs), is used with a press to smash the 6 front trunnion rivets. It puts true 90 deg pressure on the rivets and smashes them down tight. I'm going to make my own for less than 50 buxs, because i didn't like the results i got with the bolt cutters.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I've got a 20-ton press, should have a running fluxcore mig welder soon and I have plenty of handtools... I'm working on getting an oxy/acetylene rig also so I can just rent the big bottles from robert's oxygen.

BlindViper

Mar 15, 2007
    felton, pennsylvania
    I've got a 20-ton press, should have a running fluxcore mig welder soon and I have plenty of handtools... I'm working on getting an oxy/acetylene rig also so I can just rent the big bottles from robert's oxygen.

Fluxcore and mig are 2 different process. You can get a fairly good sized bottles and buy they and not have to rent.

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.
    Taps for Screws

Dave,
    You mentioned doing a partial screw build today. Below is something on the screws and what else is needed. As i've said, I wanted to do a screw build What about the taps?

----------------
    The screws in this kit are all fully threaded with a Socket Button Head Cap. All of the screws are alloy steel and have a black-oxide finish and the nuts have a zinc plating.

Contains:

(6) 10-32 x 1/4 screws for the front trunion
    (6) 10-32 x 3/8 screws for the rear trunion and cross member
    (1) 8-32 x 1/4 screw for the rear trigger guard
    (4) 8-32 x 3/8 screws for the front trigger guard
    (5) 8-32 x 1/4 zinc plated undersized machine screw hex nut
    (1) Cross member support

Tools required (NOT INCLUDED) Drill Bits:
    - # 21 - for 10-32 Screws
    - # 29 - for 8-32 Screws
    Taps:
    - 8-32 Taper
    - 10-32 Taper
    - 10-32 Bottoming (when tapping trunion with barrel installed)
    Hex Wrench
    - 1/8 and 3/32

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom