• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    If any of you dealers or avid folks out there are aware of the Maryland "Disapproved List"...I've taken it under a microscope and realize that it, like most gun laws, makes no sense. It even contradicts itself on multiple points, and simply...needs to be sued out of existence. Here's a link for those who have never seen it...as the Cpl. I talked to at LiveHelp this morning had been working there for years and never had, either.

Now that you've probably not read that and continued to read this first....Here's just a FEW problems we have.

-Taurus Model 606 is on both the APPROVED and DISAPPROVED list...I mean, literally the same gun on both lists. Is it ok or not? The answer is Yes, Yes it is.

-They list a "Bryco Model 32"....well, this is a gun that does not exist. The Model 38 was chambered in 32...which is right below it, and was also chambered in .380 too. The Bryco Model 32 simply...does not exist.

-The NAA "Earl" 4" revolver is on the APPROVED list, but the rest of the barrel lengths OF THE SAME GUN are strictly on the DISAPPROVED list. Who screwed up here? The ones on the no-go or the go? My money is on the 4" being an "oops"....not complaining, but there is NO sense in this. They ruled last year barrel length/color no longer has bearing on model approval...so this makes ALL the NAA Earl models OK...right? I have no f**king clue..you tell me.

-Here's the big one (and the MSP confirmed this for me this morning themselves); ANY gun on this list made pre-1985 is exempt from whatever the hell this list is...and a ton of these guns like the Beretta Model 20, Jennings J-22, and a myriad of these .25s listed had TONS of models made before '85. These are perfectly legal to own...but after 85? Who is the burden of proof on here? The Dealer? The Serial number archive list if one exists? I mean, sheesh. Some companies barely kept serial records and knowing if one is pre-85 or not is simply sometimes a "Yeah, I guess it's pre-85, good enough for me."

I'm sure I only scratched the surface here...feel free to add on.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    It's a huge scam meant to deter people from owning guns, and cause delay and expense along the way. Safety has nothing to do with it.

It was a lot worse before they removed the model restriction. A 5.5" Ruger Blackhawk was okay, but the 4.75" was not. Even a simple change like blue vs stainless, or different grips made it a different model, and not on the list.

The aproved list is made up based on guns that were submitted, reviewed, and approved. So if nobody submitted a request, it's not on the list. And apparently the approvers never checked the "Denied" list, since as you noted, the NAA Earl is Approved.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Further finds:

-The Seecamp .25 was ONLY made from 81-85 in 5000 total units...so basically all of them except exceptionally high serials would be MD legal and thus making the #1 entry on this list a beard.

-#2 entry is literally a Baby Browning under a different name, which is legal...another beard.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    My only thought is there is a difference from being banned and not needing to be on the roster. Thinking you’ll make sense of gun laws is time wasted.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Further finds:

-#2 entry is literally a Baby Browning under a different name, which is legal...another beard.

There's multiple Baby Browning clones on the Disapproved list . I'll bite, what post Roster Baby Browning clone is approved ?

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Does anyone know which/if the Taurus GX 4.... is approved in md. Interested in Gx4 and Gx4 Toro. Plz advise

It's amazingly easy to read the approved list.
    1707086309428.png

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There's multiple Baby Browning clones on the Disapproved list . I'll bite, what post Roster Baby Browning clone is approved ?
    He may have mistyped Bauer, but it has been out of production since just before the roster went into effect, so, like the real FN Browning Baby, it is exempt.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I know that , I have one . :) But the implication was there was a disconnect with some Baby clones bring Disapproved , and others Approved.

My position was that none have ever been Approved , and the ones in circulation are all Grandfathered .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Agreed, but there are likely some Spanish homologs that most people would consider the same

In the summer of 1968 my father bought an Astra .25 because his finger wouldn't fit in the trigger guard of other .25's

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    One of the most messed part up parts of all this is that Baby Browning clones like the PSP-25 and predecessor (and disapproved) PSA-25 are well-made and generally pretty pricey.

I put about 60 rounds through my Bauer today. Works quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom