• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Was it ever or is it currently a requirement to have your local jurisdiction Sheriff, Chief of Police sign off on your ATF application regarding the purchase of a suppressor.

I thought years ago it was required for a machine gun or short barrel rifle purchase but not certain about suppressors.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    One needs to notify their local sheriff if they purchase a suppressor? I never heard that before. what state or jurisdiction is that required?
    It's Federal. Same thing when you apply for an 03FFL. The Sheriff doesn't need to do anything but you have to notify them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One needs to notify their local sheriff if they purchase a suppressor? I never heard that before. what state or jurisdiction is that required?
    It used to be every state(AFAIK). That requirement ended back when the atf changed to photos and fingerprints.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Ok thanks all for the clarification. I ask as I was considering making a purchase of a silencer or two through a Texas company that handles everything start to finish. Capital Armory.

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Does Silencer Shop do this for buyers?
    SS has dealers across the country. Some have the kiosk and some don’t. I used the kiosk at united for $20. Once you’ve set up your account the only thing to do from there is update your picture with your phone when needed. You buy the can and it gets shipped to your local dealer. Everything is done online then pick up at the dealer when the stamp arrives. Way easier than it used to be and the wait is dropping.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Capital Armory will also set up a trust for I think $75. Don’t hold me to that number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom