• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Was at AGC today shooting my SBR. I’ve shot it with and without my Silencerco Omega .30 cal suppressor before. Mounted the suppressor and the first round sent the can 35 yards downrange. FVCK! Picked it up at the next ceasefire and it does not appear to have any baffle strike. My guess is that I didn’t have it threaded all the way into the mount. I did engage the locking ring but if it wasn’t treaded all the way that wouldn’t have done any good.
    Has anyone heard of blowing a can off of a rifle WITHOUT a baffle strike? I don’t have an alignment rod so that may be my next step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was at AGC today shooting my SBR. I’ve shot it with and without my Silencerco Omega .30 cal suppressor before. Mounted the suppressor and the first round sent the can 35 yards downrange. FVCK! Picked it up at the next ceasefire and it does not appear to have any baffle strike. My guess is that I didn’t have it threaded all the way into the mount. I did engage the locking ring but if it wasn’t treaded all the way that wouldn’t have done any good.
    Has anyone heard of blowing a can off of a rifle WITHOUT a baffle strike? I don’t have an alignment rod so that may be my next step.

I have some alignment rods you can borrow, not sure if I have one in .30 cal, but one for a 6.5mm or 7mm should be close enough.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

I'd imagine if it wasn't on all the way the pressure could have forced it off? Did you open it up, or is it a sealed can? Looks like it's sealed.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    One of our students did this at his first shot in a long range precision class. No visible evidence of a strike, although I do think he sent it back to get it checked out. Perhaps he'll chime in. He had his cover on when he installed it, which obscures visibly checking alignment and the consensus was that it wasn't correctly threaded on.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have some alignment rods you can borrow, not sure if I have one in .30 cal, but one for a 6.5mm or 7mm should be close enough.

I’d actually need a rod for .223, only the can is .30 caliber.
    I took off the end cap and I don’t see any baffle strikes.
    I guess I could send it back to Silencerco just to be sure it’s ok, it’s not like I need it anytime soon. Anyone know how long their customer service takes?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I got a crap ton of gas blowback, I have a feeling that I don’t have it threaded all the way into the suppressor mount. Rifle shot fine after that, without the can of course.

I’d actually need a rod for .223, only the can is .30 caliber.
    I took off the end cap and I don’t see any baffle strikes.
    I guess I could send it back to Silencerco just to be sure it’s ok, it’s not like I need it anytime soon. Anyone know how long their customer service takes?

McMaster Carr part #8893K191

ETA- If you have a bore strike in a .30 can with a .22 bullet, you have a really bad issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom