• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I have a friend who has no interest in firearms that has 2 rifles (not AWs under MD law) that were left to her by her deceased spouse. Actually the rifles were left to the deceased spouse by his deceased father. If I were to find a buyer for them and met the prospective buyer(s) at an FFL gun shop to transfer does the spouse current owner of the firearms have to be present to make the transfer.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm fairly certain the FFL gets the IDs from both seller and buyer to enter into their book. If she would have given you the rifles a year or so ago, before the requirement for all long gun sales to go through an FFL, that would have simplified things. How the FFL would know that they weren't yours anyway I don't know?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Only in Maryland would something that should be so simple be made so complicated by the state.
    IMHO, I think you'll be fine but, I'm not a lawyer nor did I sleep at a motel 6.

rswangz

Jan 14, 2013
    Carroll Co
    I'm saddened that there is nobody in the deceased spouse's family that wants them. I would never sell any of my firearms that have been passed down from family. Dang, now I'm thinking about who would want mine...

wingsfan

Feb 11, 2017
    Ceciltucky
    The legal owner of the firearms, who is now the widow of your friend (my sympathies to you and her) must bring the guns to the FFL doing the transfer. As her friend, go with her and help her through the process. You can help find a buyer, and negotiate the prices for her. I work at a gun shop and this how we suggest friends help during this difficult time.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Not at all sure of the mechanics but perhaps selling on consignment? She "signs over" the firearms to the FFL and then they would deal with the buyer. This is how I would assume it works but honestly I'm full on Sgt Shultz here...

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Don't you remember when she gave you the rifles years ago?

She was settling her husband's estate and "Bob" instructed her to give YOU the rifles for being his friend and helping out when he was gone.

You should remember what "Bob" said like it was only yesterday

Oh! Remember the money you borrowed from "Bob" before he died? It was easy to forget in your grief but I know "Bob" would appreciate it if you paid it back with interest, of course.

Memories become tricky things as we get older but "Bob" will be happy that you two finally got things squared away.

:innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm saddened that there is nobody in the deceased spouse's family that wants them.

Everybody isn't * Us * .

Certain percent will have all Anti Gun relatives .

Larger % won't be anti per se , but simply have no interest at all in guns .

Another % will have 1 plinker , and/ or 1 home defense gun , and that's all they need/ want . And anything else would never ever get used , and be p i a to store forever .

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    The thread begs to have the rifles described. (make, model,caliber, stock material,age, etc etc. Interest in the rifles may increase tenfold just saying

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Everybody isn't * Us * .

Certain percent will have all Anti Gun relatives .

Larger % won't be anti per se , but simply have no interest at all in guns .

Another % will have 1 plinker , and/ or 1 home defense gun , and that's all they need/ want . And anything else would never ever get used , and be p i a to store forever .
    That's all true but to think of a rifle that had been passed down from father to son only to be sold when someone dies is sad. You would think someone in the family would want grandpop's rifles.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Is there a reason she doesn’t want to be present for the transfer? She doesn’t want to go to an icky gun shop, deal with the whole process, has health issues that make it difficult?

The easiest thing if any of the above is true would be for you to scope out an FFL that is willing to take the guns (a good FFL will tell you if what you want to consign is a seller in their store), help her figure out fair prices and see what the shop thinks, then just have her make one trip to the shop to sign the consignment paperwork and wait. Well it will probably be 2 trips to pickup the check/cash when everything sells if the FFL doesn’t mail the proceeds. Some will, some won’t.

She/you will probably get more person to person but it’s more of a hassle IMO. Only you and she can decide if it’s worth it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I had a rifle gifted to me before the Md law changed. I sold/transferred it to an MDS member(after the law changed). No hassle from FFL. AFAIK, there's no requirement to prove ownership by the seller, unless I'm wrong.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    A bit off topic, but... can we still buy rifles at ffl in other states without transferring to marylindistan?

Without a complete registry of every gun in the state. They can't really enforce law against the fictional "gunshow loophole" if no one lets them. "That gun? Lost it in a boating accident", This gun? I think it's always been in my closet".

Last edited:

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I am in perfect health in my 50s,,,,, And my kids and their spouses are already "Calling Dibs" on my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom